Snacks that travel well

Options
I'm a busy law student who sometimes has 13 hour days out of the house. I've been packing my own food by the day. I am running low on good snack ideas!

Give me your best well-traveled snack ideas! Tupperware allowed, microwave usage discouraged (there are large swaths of the day where I do not have access to one).

Go!

Replies

• XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    Honestly, plain and simple fruit n nut bars. Oat n nuts granola is nice and even nicer on yogurt but I prefer homemade bars. They are quick and easy to make, can be made in whatever shape, they keep and travel well. Combinations are endless, and they pack a punch by giving you a bit of everything (except stuff you get from greens) in a good dose when you don't have much time. Food processors are the best way to go. I like to use a combination of walnuts, raisins and cocoa powder, sometimes with a tiny bit of strawberries. Dates and cinnamon with almonds and toasted oats is a nice plain one. But really, they can be made with whatever dried fruits, nuts and seeds you want, and chocoholics can add cocoa powder to them to satiate their cravings. Making them at home means you control what goes in them and they cost a lot less than packaged ones from the store.

Sorry, I am usually full of ideas but can't think of anything else right now...
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ravenhood! Do you have a recipe I can follow? I've tried making some before, and they came out hard as a rock (I'd prefer them chewy.)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Veggies and dip like hummus

Small wraps with meats, cheese, and lettuce and whatever other veggies you like

Peanut butter and crackers

Fruits (my current favourite is clementines...easy to transport and sooooo delicious!)

Protein balls (I make chocolate peanut butter ones...they are sooo yummy and would travel well if you put them in a container. If you want the recipe for them message me, and I'll send it)

Granola bars

Do you ever have access to a kettle? If not, then discard this idea, but I like to take a package of oatmeal to school with me for a snack when I am really hungry.

Laughing cow cheese on celery or with crackers
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like Quaker caramel corn rice cakes.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Babybel cheeses, perfectly packed and ready to go

Quaker bars - 25% less sugar
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit without sweeteners or added sugar. My favourites are unsulphured/organic apricots and pitted dates. Fruit such as bananas, pears and apples also travel well, and if you need a little more protein you could also take a spoonful of peanut butter to eat with your apple. It's one of my favourites. Popcorn is also good, as are nuts in moderation (14 almonds = 98 calories). My food blog might also give you some ideas... ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com

Hope this helps :)
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, veggie sticks, mini cheese slices, fruit, yogurts in a chill bag
  • travel_kat
    travel_kat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    almonds, or any kinda nut. Protein yogurt (greek yogurt + protein pwder + flax oil), hard boild egg/or apple and nut butter, banana wrap (1/2 banana, wholemeal wrap, 1/2 tblsp nut butter)....
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm a busy law student who sometimes has 13 hour days out of the house. I've been packing my own food by the day. I am running low on good snack ideas!

Give me your best well-traveled snack ideas! Tupperware allowed, microwave usage discouraged (there are large swaths of the day where I do not have access to one).

Go!

Just wanted to say I'M A LAW STUDENT TOO! What year? I'm a 2L. Can't wait until the is over!

oh snacks...

nuts
    peanut butter in a small container
    sandwiches
    bananas, apples, oranges
    baby carrots and hummus
    protein bars
    ww crackers
    rice cakes smeared with pb (2 together like a sandwich to prevent mess)
    beef jerky
    dry cereal
    protein powder (you can bring milk with you or make it water)
    hard boiled eggs
    tuna pouches
    red pepper strips/celery
    steamed veggies
    edamame
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Why not look into bento boxes?

Little servings of rice, noodles with a little sauce, vegetables, eggs, shrimp - that kind of thing.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing a meal prep? I prepare lots of mini meals in addition to snacks - it doesn't take up too much time and I have a variety of tasty and nutritious eats to look forward to during the day.
    I explained how I do it on my blog:
    http://kit-does-fit.tumblr.com/post/44877868335/my-meal-prep-explained
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fruits: strawberries, grapes, bananas, apples, oranges, already cut-up fruits such as cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, etc.

What about yogurt? You could get an insulated lunch tote (there are some super cute ones out there) and stick an ice pack in the lunch tote. It would definitely keep yogurt cold for a while.
  • haliebest
    haliebest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I pack 2 snacks every day for work that are a healthy carb and a protein. Here's a list of the carbs/proteins that I pack on a normal basis. Just mix and match any of the items. For things like peanut butter and hummus, I buy little plastic cups and lids at GFS- they are the perfect size for 2 TB and I never have to wash peanut butter out of tupperware again :)

Carb:

- 1/2 banana
    - 1/2 apple
    - 1 c. berries
    - Clementine
    - Low sodium rice cake
    - 1/2 bell pepper
    - 1/2 cucumber
    - 1/2 c. drained and rinsed black beans

Protein:

- Cheese stick
    - 2 TB peanut butter
    - 2 TB hummus
    - Hard boiled egg
    - 1/2 avocado
    - 1/4 c. almonds
    - 1 can drained tuna
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Just wanted to say I'M A LAW STUDENT TOO! What year? I'm a 2L. Can't wait until the is over!

Awesome! I'm also a 2L. Work you to death, right? I've gained about 50 lbs since starting.

Thanks for the tips everyone, good suggestions :)