Starting Strength vs. New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
Anyone read both?

What's the difference between the two plans? Is one book better at explaining proper form, have more pictures, etc? I have to admit I often find women-specific things cheesy and the whole "look like a goddess" slogan is a bit much for my taste. I'm inclined to go with Starting Strength unless there's a good reason to start with NROLFW. However, NROLFW is 1/2 the price which is why I'm debating this so much. Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

Replies

• ChocoCheeseaholic
    ChocoCheeseaholic Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :(
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    starting strength kindle edition is only $10.
    Its worth reading regardless of your program choice.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I would also look into stronglifts 5x5 its very similar to starting strength and free. also very simple.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Hi Jahk918,

I'm also trying to decide between the two books you listed. Did you go ahead and try either of them?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Don't base the workout program you choose by the cost of a book. If you're serious about gaining STRENGTH then Starting Strength is the program you will want to go with hands down. Make sure you read the book (which is EXCELLENT) and educate yourself on how to properly perform the lifts.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I've read New Rules and was prepared to use that program next week when my personal training sessions come to an end. I decided to research SS, Stronglifts 5x5, AllPros, and the various split routines available on bodybuilding.com. I'm going with Starting Strength. If you are just starting out though, I don't think you could go wrong with either program.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I've read New Rules and was prepared to use that program next week when my personal training sessions come to an end. I decided to research SS, Stronglifts 5x5, AllPros, and the various split routines available on bodybuilding.com. I'm going with Starting Strength. If you are just starting out though, I don't think you could go wrong with either program.

Why did you decide against New Rules and chose to go with Starting Strengh? I'm not the OP, but I'm a newbie to lifting and I'm looking for a program with good reference points. My biggest concern is selecting a book too advanced for my level. I don't mind doing a little research on line, watching "proper form" videos on YouTube, but I'd like a decent book as a starting point.
  • I've read New Rules and was prepared to use that program next week when my personal training sessions come to an end. I decided to research SS, Stronglifts 5x5, AllPros, and the various split routines available on bodybuilding.com. I'm going with Starting Strength. If you are just starting out though, I don't think you could go wrong with either program.

Why did you decide against New Rules and chose to go with Starting Strengh? I'm not the OP, but I'm a newbie to lifting and I'm looking for a program with good reference points. My biggest concern is selecting a book too advanced for my level. I don't mind doing a little research on line, watching "proper form" videos on YouTube, but I'd like a decent book as a starting point.

Not the OP, but I do own both books and have been lifting for a few years.

If you want a detailed, newbie friendly book that will lay out what to do and when, how to eat and when, etc, do NROL4W.

If you want a good reference guide for how to do all the big lifts with more detail on how and why things work the way they do, get the third edition of SS. Actually, if you're even slightly serious about weightlifting, buy this book. It's invaluable. It is, hands down, the best reference guide out there that exists.

I ended up buying (and reading, and loving) both and did NROL4W for a while before stepping up to the challenge of a more SS type 3x5 program. It's highly likely you'll find a wealth of useful things in both, especially as you're new to lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just start either one. newbies spend way too much time overthinking this. just because you start a program doesn't mean you're married to it. at your current state you'll gain strength and experience on either program and you can always change later. just start something
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    starting strength kindle edition is only $10.
    Its worth reading regardless of your program choice.

Yup, whatever program you choose, you should still pick up the SS book. Lots of good form guidelines in there. I didn't do the program but I read the book from beginning to end.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    JMHO, of course, but while the information is NROL4W is good, I found the actual program ridiculously overcomplicated for a beginner program.

SS or SL are both 3 exercises, 3x/week. No need to keep checking which movements you're supposed to be doing today. They're both quite similar: pick one and go for it.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

The reason I chose SS over New Rules was because I had already been working with a personal trainer for almost five weeks. We were doing heavy progressive weights and low rep sets (5-8). The New Rules program started with as many as 15 reps on some of the exercises so to me it would be a step backwards- I'd be using lower weights so I could complete all the reps. After researching all the starting full body strength workouts SS seemed to match what I was already doing and my future goals better. :)

Both the new rules of lifting for women, and the starting strength books are excellent reads. I'd highly recommend reading one or both of them which is what I did. The New Rules program seems a little over complicated to me, I wanted something highly effective but simple and SS is exactly that. :)