protein shakes

Options
13»

Replies

• southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually have one every day for lunch. With 2 kids under 2 at home I need something quick that I can whip up and eat while trying to feed the kids. My favourite recipe thus far: 2 cups of milk (I use unsweetened chocolate almond milk), 1 cup frozen raspberries, 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder and 1 tbsp of sugar free chocolate pudding mix (just the powder). It makes a huge yummy shake that fills me up till dinner. I'm waiting for the kids to wake up as we speak so I can make one!

definitely going to try this
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Protein is obviously better from food as protein powders won't make you lose weight or build muscle themselves... they are a suppliment to help reach your protein amounts.

Why is it better from food?
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    If you are trying to build muscle while losing fat than you are doing it wrong. You can't do both outside of very small newbie gains. You either lose weight (which includes water, fat and muscle) or you build muscle.

Protein shakes will not make you gain weight... unless you consume more than your maintance calories.

Protein is obviously better from food as protein powders won't make you lose weight or build muscle themselves... they are a suppliment to help reach your protein amounts.

The whole 'you either lose or gain' is something I can't understand, really. I've been able to both lose fat in considerable amounts and gain (admitfully not a lot of) muscle. Anyway, the point of my question is not 'am I doing wrong of taking protein powder when I'm trying to lose weight?' but 'protein shakes are stored as fat?!'

I agree that the best protein is from food, especially from eggs. Or so I've read. :)
  • chardi7
    chardi7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like the Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey - Chocolate Malt and I like the flavor of Muscle Milk...however, not all protien shakes are created equal. Some have a ton of sugars and carbs. Research carefully before you buy. I take mine when I am in a rush and dont have time...like in the mornings. I just mix mine with water, Ice, and strawberries, or a bannana. I would prefere to eat a lean piece of meat...but I dont have the time...and I dont always feel like eating meat first thing in the morning. I have bought my protien mixes from Amazon, bodybuilding.com, GNC, and supplement kingdom. I say take it when ever. Hope this helps.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to build muscle while losing fat than you are doing it wrong. You can't do both outside of very small newbie gains. You either lose weight (which includes water, fat and muscle) or you build muscle.

Protein shakes will not make you gain weight... unless you consume more than your maintance calories.

The whole 'you either lose or gain' is something I can't understand, really. I've been able to both lose fat in considerable amounts and gain (admitfully not a lot of) muscle. Anyway, the point of my question is not 'am I doing wrong of taking protein powder when I'm trying to lose weight?' but 'protein shakes are stored as fat?!'

I agree that the best protein is from food, especially from eggs. Or so I've read. :)

NO protein shakes are not stored as fat unless you are over your maintenance calories - nothing is, if you stay below your calories needed to maintain all are used as energy. :flowerforyou:
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Outside of newbie gains you won't gain any real amount of muscle while at a calorie deficit. You can gain strength and definition but not noticeable muscle mass.

I prefer to get my protein from real foods. More nutrients normally, sometimes less calories and it is less processed normally. I use protein shakes just as a suppliment if I do not reach my protein goals from food alone. Protein shakes will not make you gain fat unless you are consuming more calories than your body spends in a day.