sugars???

Options
bluiz13
bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
okay well i seem to be going over my sugars often but not from junk....from fruit...suggestions? thoughts? comments? opinions???
should i be worried? should i adjust it in the goals section so it isnt a negative reminder of a "failure" on that part of my plan? what is the recommended daily allowance??

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I've seen many others, including myself, who don't count the natural sugars in things such as veggies, fruits, and milk.
    I keep an eye on refined or added sugars, because otherwise I go over every day.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Sugars (fructose) in fruit are wrapped in fiber, phytonutrients, and lots of other good stuff. They are absorbed into the bloodstream much more slowly than table sugar, honey, or even straight fructose such as agave. You won't get the insulin spike and blood sugar crash that causes hunger, etc, but you will get all of the benefit of good carbohydrates.
  • bluiz13
    Options
    sooooooooooo essentially i'm fine if the majority of my sugars come from fruits and not processed shiat...
  • angelascott919
    Options
    I was just coming on today to ask this same question. I have cut out so nealy all of my processed, god only knows what is in it, junk food and started eating a lot more fruit. I have heard you can eat all the veggies you want but I was wondering can you eat too much fruit?
  • bluiz13
    Options
    my thought is this....no one ever got fat eating carrotts, apples, grapes, melon, etc......
    it's not like i'm eating m&ms....
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    my thought is this....no one ever got fat eating carrotts, apples, grapes, melon, etc......
    it's not like i'm eating m&ms....

You can in fact gain weight and store fat from eating too much fruit and natural sugars......

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100109-interesting-article-fructose-may-promote-metabolic-syndrom
  • AlyssaLoflin
    AlyssaLoflin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Whether you will gain weight or not from natural sugars found in fruits has a lot to do with your own personal body chemistry. Some people do great on low carb low sugar diets and loose weight but others won't. I do great with eating plenty of fruits and veggies and I just adjusted my goals so that it doesn't look negative (but you don't have to monitor that one if you don't want to same goes for carbs).
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are still sugar calories. They still will jack with your body and whatnot

I asked [whined to] my trainer (who uses MFP too)
    "but I go over on MFP's sugars even if I just eat a banana for breakfast..."
    "So just eat half a banana. Don't go over."

It IS processed different than refined sugars, and IS way better..... but the lesser of two evils doesn't mean it's not evil.
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Sugars affect each person's weight loss differently. Some people find that they need to cut back to half a banana no matter how many other good things they're doing. Others can sprinkle sugar on their Total cereal and still lose but need to watch something else if they want their body to let go of weight more easily.

I'm a carbs/sugar girl. When I watch my calories and carbs it comes off slowly. When I watch my calories, calcium, and potassium I drop weight like a crash dieter. But the way my body reacts to food has absolutely nothing to do with how yours does, or anyone else's for that matter.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Whether you will gain weight or not from natural sugars found in fruits has a lot to do with your own personal body chemistry. Some people do great on low carb low sugar diets and loose weight but others won't. I do great with eating plenty of fruits and veggies and I just adjusted my goals so that it doesn't look negative (but you don't have to monitor that one if you don't want to same goes for carbs).

That is part of the problem of why I see so many struggling to lose on here............So people saying, oh don't monitor the sugar if you don't want to, its all natural................

Watching the ratios are far more important than watching the calories. The rate at which a person is able to lose weight is highly contingent on the content of the food they are consuming, not the calories............

There are MORE people than not that need to look at this as a considering factor..........

Most people don't understand that when they eat a WHOLE bananae or a WHOLE apple, they are actually consuming more than 1 serving of fruit. That sugar has a GREAT impact on their body.
  • bluiz13
    Options
    okay so i eat a fruit for breakfast and usually one for mid morning snack and sometimes i have one for mid afternoon snack...
    i'm thinking 2-3 good fruits a day is good for me and i appreciate all the input...
    guess i got the answer i needed.