thinking about weight watchers?

Options
Hi everyone!, I was just wondering if anyone on here has tried weight watchers? and if so what did you think of it and does/did it work for you in helping you lose weight? I was thinking of trying it but not sure....

Replies

• BorgieMN
    BorgieMN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It worked for me, but you never know what works for everyone. I would say try it for a couple months and see if it works for you.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    It's the only "diet" I have ever tried and it didn't work for me :( This was about a year ago. It has worked for some people so I won't bash it. I did the online version and there no one there for support. Maybe attending real meetings would be better...

I have found personally, that minding my portion sizes (which is what WW teaches you really) and choosing healthy snacks and logging in here with my food and exercise is working for me! I decided to not diet - I eat what i want but not a lot of it.

Best wishes for health!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't like the concept of having 0 point foods (fruits and vegetables). I would just spend all of my points on pizza and donuts and then eat an entire watermelon :-/ MFP is free and effective when used properly.
  • cindypalm1
    Options
    I did WW a couple of years ago and it worked well for me until I stopped tracking what I ate and I stopped smoking then I put
    the weight back on I tried to go back to it and found it just wasn't working for me so I came here and this has helped me but
    if I was go start going to the meeting and paying for them and get weighed every week maybe that would change it too.

I really think any program will work if you really set your mind to it and you track what you are eating.

Hope that helps
  • pixiee88
    pixiee88 Posts: 52
    Options
    I've tried it a few times, each with a considerable weight loss, so it did work for me in terms of losing weight. However, when I stopped being strict following the "points" system, the weight always crept back on. I also found myself very hungry a lot of the time whilst following it. That's just my experience though, I'm sure it works perfectly well for many other people. I'm much happier using mfp, although it's possible to do both I guess :)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    The reason it works is the accountability of going to a meeting every week where you get weighed.

I think their meals are not that great and their points system is inferior to setting your calorie goal and macros using your TDEE.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It's been a lifesaver for me and has literally changed my life.

However, the concept of WW and the MFP is very, very similar. You are going to get out of it what you put into it. Had I started with MFP and not WW, I have a feeling I would have been equally as successful. However, WW does stress the importance of fruits and veggies, and other things. MFP only tells you what your macros should be, and it may have taken me longer to figure out what my food groups I should focus on.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    That said, I'm glad I came to MFP for the message boards as well. I have learned a lot about TDEE and BMR that I would not have learned from WW. I did double track for about two weeks to find out how many calories and macros I was consuming with WW, so that was educational as well.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That said, I'm glad I came to MFP for the message boards as well. I have learned a lot about TDEE and BMR that I would not have learned from WW. I did double track for about two weeks to find out how many calories and macros I was consuming with WW, so that was educational as well.
    You look great. Love your profile pic.
  • katierik
    katierik Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25lbs on Weight Watchers and the program really holds your hand when you're trying to figure out portion sizes and fruit and veg servings. But I'm transitioning over to MFP now that I understand the basics!
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds on WW and successfully found every pound again, plus one. I started here in January and have lost almost seven pounds on my own, but rejoined WW last week. I like the meetings - I like that accountability. Everyone is different though. The people are always so positive and no one bashes someone for not having a good week. I've tracked all my food in both places and the calorie count vs my points is interesting - I'm staying at what MFP says to eat, and eating my points. I know enough not to eat crap food, because all calories are not created equal (and even on WW, if you eat free fruits and veggies and twinkies, you're still not going to lose weight).

Some of these message boards can get my blood pressure going - not everyone is so encouraging, unfortunately. I just stay OFF of those boards.

Good luck to us all!!