Eating & Gastric Bypass

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to myfitnesspal and to all this dieting-ish stuff. Sure I've tried Atkins, Weight Watchers, and that sort of stuff. However, It was never really the right thing for me. Now I have a multitude of medical issues which have cause my weight to sky-rocket, and because of these health issues I can't really loose the weight either. I can't really exercise right now because my "fat" gets in the way and makes it really uncomfortable; so unfortunately exercising isn't really working either. All of my doctors have agreed that having the Gastric Bypass is the best option for me, but it will give me that little extra boost with the weight loss so I can exercise. I actually can't weight to be able to exercise. I used to really like it; plus it will be good for my kids and me to do it together :-)
I know right after I have my surgery (4/18/13) It is an extra special diet, but I am supposed to be finding protein shakes and powders that I like now. I have no clue because I never really did any of that stuff before. I have a very limited income since I am not able to work right now. Any suggestions would be fantastic (especially where to find them store wise). Also, I know the whole grain stuff is important. With being on such a lower food budget most of the stuff we ate before was pasta (cause well its cheap). So any interesting (kitchen dummy/easy) meal ideas would be great too. I really want this to work, but I feel completely stupid and out of the loop on all of this. Thanks Jamie

Replies

• hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Join the thinnertimes.com and obesityhelp.com forums. You can get a lot of support and basic info from them.

I used the syntrax nectar protein power, but it's pretty expensive. You can buy it online and at the vitamin shoppe if you live by one of these. A lot of people also use protein powder you can buy at walmart that is cheaper. Just make sure it's whey protein and contains very little sugar and carbs. There are a lot of forum topics about this at the above websites.

Good luck!
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My surgery is schedule for April also, so we can go on this journey together. Has your doctor / nutritionist recommended high protein foods for before and after surgery? I have been counting calories for months, but just started the pre-surgery diet this week. The food is tasty and very high in protein. There is a great website to purchase bariatric foods and supplements, I will send it to you.

Susan :smile:
  • OkieGirl40
    OkieGirl40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric on January 8th and I am doing great. I purchase Premier Protein Shakes at Sam's wholesale, they are also available online. It is premade, I am not able to make shakes from powder form yet because the smell of the protein makes me ill. I lost 50 pounds in 2 months. As for eating whole wheat products, my doctor doesn't suggest that for at least 6-9 months post-op because of the carbs. You will find after surgery that really your food bill will go down. At 2 months out I am barely able to eat 1/4 cup of food twice a day. My day consist of 11oz protein shake for breakfast, 1/4 cup of lean meat such as tuna or low fat cottage cheese, a 11 oz protein shake for a snack and for dinner a 1/4 cup of lean meat or scramble egg. Plus it is very important to drink lots of water. Keep in mind you are eating to live not living to eat anymore. Good luck on your journey.