Not a happy camper!

Options
I'm not entirely thrilled! I started a new exercise routine this week to begin training for a 5K and I've been exercising like mad this entire week. I'm just coming off a month and a half where I hardly exercised or logged at all and have managed to maintain my weight. So this week, I've worked my tail off burning calories like crazy, and I step on the scale only to see that I've GAINED half a pound. Now I realize that .5 a pound is not a great big deal, but the principle of the matter is that I've been doing everything right. Where's the motivation to keep going? I had such a great attitude, but I've had a piss poor attitude today and wonder if I'm just destined to be fat for the rest of my life. Hopefully my perky attitude comes back tomorrow, but any words of encouragement would be much appreciated!

Replies

• shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    Don't give up. You are going to gain before you lose. Your body is probably creating muscle, which weighs more but burns more calories. So it is a good thing. Give it a couple more days of doing what you are doing and you should lose that .5lbs!! It will all pay off in the end. Good Luck
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon. Stay with it. Especially if this is a life long plan for you. Stay motivated, read info on running and make it a part of your new world. You can do this!! Best of luck to you:flowerforyou:
    Oh yes, and also look to the changes you see in your body as another motivation! Running def makes a strong, awesome looking body.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    it is typical to retain water in your muscles when you start a new routine especially if you are really pushing it. your muscles are repairing and they aren't used to it. give it two weeks it will go away and your losses will show up.
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    you're probably just retaining water. This ALWAYS happens to me during a strong cardio week. then the following week i'm down a couple pounds. You'll see :)
  • tezramenne
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I was run/walking 3 miles a night for a week and a half before I weighed in and found that I had gained 1.2 lbs. I was really, really t.o'd. I had that same attitude. What's the point? But I kept it up and the next week at weigh in, I lost 7 lbs. It will definitely all catch up with you!

Don't give up! You're doing great!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I feel better already :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    1/2 lb. a week loss is terrific think about how much that would be in a year! Without logging and workouts regularly over the last month and some then a week doing pretty good, that's pretty decent! :) I'm one of those that would rather be smaller and stronger (more lean muscle on my body than fat) than worry about the lbs. I know some are really big on what the weight is. Keep at it, sounds like you're back on track again and your body is lovin you for doing it. :)
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Be patient, think long term. Think months and not weeks. Keep working hard and sticking to calories in < calories out and it'll happen!

You're doing great!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    With your running, your muscles are retaining water right now! Drink lots and lots of water, and try to eat foods like cucumbers that help with water retention!
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    honest.

reassess diet. reassess workout plan.

anytime you have bad results, don't get angry with it, get angry with why it happened.

I've had plenty of weeks where I've felt great, but didn't see the change. TYPICALLY it had to do with one or two stupid meals I ate. And yes, this can affect your end result.

I'm not saying this happened to you, but stay positive- CONSTANTLY adjust and refine..........!!! KEEP GOING !!!!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Mandi don't be sad, remember your muscles are probably holding water because you are doing something new that you've never done before. You should start to see things go down in a couple weeks, just hold on dear, you'll get there! Trust me, remember I've been in that boat too. You can do it! I'm sooo proud of you for starting to run, that's a BIG accomplishment! Keep it up girl. :flowerforyou: