Leg day

Options
My boyfriend is helping me make a workout plan for the gym. We got a general plan put together, but I need some input for leg days. So far I have 2 arm days, 2 leg days, and 2 cardio only days.

Arm days:
chest press
chest fly
fixed pulldowns
seated rows
plus some cardio

Leg days:
squats
dead lifts

I like the leg press, but feel I'll just be working the same thing as squats. I'll still do some light cardio on leg days. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    leg curl, leg extension, hip abductor/adductor, lunges

edit to add calf raises
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just did my legs yesterday. The hubby changed it up a bit. It's a lot of the same stuff already mentioned but I threw in a couple new ideas.

Dead lifts
    1 legged squats (Those things are awesome! One leg on a bench, move the other leg in til its even with your hip, do each side. I have a tendency to favor my right side so we are trying to work on my stabilizing)
    Good mornings
    Leg extensions. He had me do one leg at a time and then both. That was one rep.
    Leg curls

Other stuff:
    leg presses
    calf raises
    Farmers walks. Just grab some weights and get to walking
    weighted lunges
    Warm up/cool down with stairs or cycling
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Weighted lunges (hold a dumbbell in each hand) and calf raises!

Oops just noticed the post above me suggested both. Sorry for the repeat.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I do weighted lunges, calf raises, leg extensions, stiff-leg lifts, and curls. Sometimes squats, but not usually. I don't know why. I know what you mean, They all seem kind of the same.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Lunges, calf raises
  • hayleygirl01
    hayleygirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like using kettle balls for my work outs. Another good cardio/full body work out is ball slams! Those are awesome!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    With squats and deadlifts, provided you are lifting heavy, you really don't need anything else except for weighted lunges.
  • Will606
    Options
    My boyfriend is helping me make a workout plan for the gym. We got a general plan put together, but I need some input for leg days. So far I have 2 arm days, 2 leg days, and 2 cardio only days.

Arm days:
    chest press
    chest fly
    fixed pulldowns
    seated rows
    plus some cardio

Leg days:
    squats
    dead lifts

I like the leg press, but feel I'll just be working the same thing as squats. I'll still do some light cardio on leg days. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Looking at your plan, most of your "arm days" exercises are more chest/back exercises. While those are good exercises and do help your arms some, you might want to look at adding some curls or other exercises, depending on what your goals for "arm days" are. As for leg exercises, I agree with jimmie65, if you are doing a heavy lift your squats and deadlifts will hit most of your major muscle groups in the lower body. Maybe throw in some calf raises/leg curls. Anyway good luck with your plan and happy exercising.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    you're on the right track by starting with squats and deads.

leg press works things differently than squats. squats are a lot of glutes and hammies. leg press will hit your quads a bit more.

leg extensions, leg curls, lunges, calf extensions, etc are all good assistance.
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! My ultimate goal is fat loss, while also gaining strength. I'm still fairly new to the gym (today marks a week), but I wanted to get things figured out before I got too far in. I know I'm supposed to change things up every few weeks so I'm sure I'll be back for more suggestions.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I know I'm supposed to change things up every few weeks

nope
  • tifftheneutron
    Options
    You might look into New Rules of Lifting For Women (the older edition, not the newer one). It has some great routines in there, and back during my much thinner days, lol, it really helped a lot. I didn't follow the meal plan, but I did everything else.

There is also a website called:

http://www.stumptuous.com

She has some good ideas:

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/workout_ideas

Hope this helps!
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    my trainer has me do wall sits while doing bicep curls-triceps against the wall, alternating 20 each arm=1 set (takes my mind off of my legs) :)
    She also has me do a series that includes the leg extension, leg press, jump squats, reg wall sits and a deep squat/bounce
    you would also be surprised at just stepping up on a box that is 12 to 18 inches high-20 steps each leg-will do for you
    another is just sitting on the bench and standing up unassisted, not using hands for assistance, just leg muscles
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I know I'm supposed to change things up every few weeks

nope

Agreed. As long as you're increasing weight and challenging yourself you are changing it up. No need to write a new plan every few weeks.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Single Leg, Leg Press, Bulgarian Split Squats, Calf extensions...

And you seem to have a good bit of chest on arms day, is that intentional, or would it make sense to have a chest and back day, arms day, and leg day? Just a point to think about. Let me know if you have any questions about those exercises.

Sorry had to edit forgot front squats.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump- I'd like to get some advice to change up my own workouts!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Lunges- side, walking, w/ weights, jumping
    Wall sits
    Squats- jumping, one legged, w/ press
    Calf raises
    Box jumps
    Step ups
    Kettle bell swings

(Today is my leg day. I only do legs once a week)
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You might look into New Rules of Lifting For Women (the older edition, not the newer one). It has some great routines in there, and back during my much thinner days, lol, it really helped a lot. I didn't follow the meal plan, but I did everything else.

She has some good ideas:

Hope this helps!

OMG - this site is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options

She has some good ideas:

Hope this helps!

I know this post is a bit old but was searching the forums for work out ideas & oh my gosh this site is amazing, thank you so much :)