Over 50 and need to lose between 80 - 100 pounds

Options
Hello all. I am 52 years old, 5'4" and 230 pounds. I have never used any kind of online program for weight loss before...maybe that's why I've never been able to lose weight. Last year I lost 28 pounds on the Atkins diet. It was the most I had ever lost and I was feeling wonderful. On October 15th I stopped smoking and since then I have gained 33 pounds!! Even though I have been overweight for years, I was blessed with good health. Over the last couple of years, I have developed Obstructive Sleep Apnea, low back pain, knee pain and now high cholesterol. When I first quit smoking it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I realize now that it was relatively easy because I just traded in one habit for another one. I figured this out when I tried to go on a diet a couple of weeks ago and began to crave cigarettes. So, if I tell myself I can't have one, I just crave the other. How crazy is that? I now know that I am in danger of giving in to the food AND the cigarettes and I am very worried. I've never been one to post daily on facebook and I've never done any kind of blogging or tweeting but I am going to try to do daily posts on MFP and would love to have a couple of new friends to walk this journey with.

Replies

• Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'll help you in any way I can.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Mfp, you are more than welcome to add Me as a friend and I will offer you some support.
  • JuliaCarman
    JuliaCarman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the first step of your journey. Add me as your friend!
  • M_on_a_Mission
    M_on_a_Mission Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've met some great people here who have been very supportive. People understand that you'll have good days and not so good days but most of been though it themselves. Best of luck with your journey. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • dotcale
    dotcale Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also over 50 and need to lose 80-100 lbs...also weigh 230. Just finally get the motivation TODAY. Would love to be your online buddy. I was a smoker years ago and quit cold turkey and started weight watchers at the same time. Was very successful until I went through a divorce. Gained it all back, plus. But I never smoked again and never craved a cigarette. Let me knoe how we can help each other.
  • yurika975
    yurika975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose 50-80lbs. You can do it. I'll send you a friend invite. Just try to break it down into mini goals. Like drinking more water, more veggies and fruits, walking, working out. Before you know it the weight will be coming off and you will have a healthy new lifestyle.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am 61, live in Australia - I started losing weight after Christmas 2011 - lost 61 pounds (28 kgs) so far, most of it in the first 5 months, now nearly at my original hoped for goal weight. I need to rethink new strategies to shake the last few pounds/kilos.

Send me a friend request if you like. :smile: I am on here every day, and will comment and give advice! Is your husband doing this as well? Much easier if you do it together, as this should be a new way of living your life, making permanent new habits for eating choices and exercise.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hey, you sound like me! I'm 52, nearly 53, and came here with about 80 pounds to lose. I'd tried other diet plans, and lost weight on them, but then put it back on during maintenance from never learning how to eat properly when NOT on a diet. That's what's so great about mfp, you can eat the same foods while you're losing as on maintenance, just less of it, and watching the calories helps you realize what proper portions are.

When I started, I hoped it would work, no matter what a chore it was. I've found that it does work, and it's more fun now than a chore!
  • luvteach809
    luvteach809 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your journey, you can do it. Don't give back into the cigarettes, you have come so far giving them up. Take one day at a time and track what you eat. Don't forget to drink the water, at least 8 glasses!!! You CAN do this!!!!
  • vypersix
    vypersix Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I need to lose about 200 pounds.
  • danceaway100
    danceaway100 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm hoping to make MFP my new "habit"!
  • danceaway100
    danceaway100 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a response! So many offers of friendship! I send one friend request and two or three more posts pop up. My husband is calling me in for dinner so I've got to go but I will post again tomorrow. Thanks, everyone, for making me feel so welcomed!
  • kathyd0829
    Options
    It is very difficult when you have two addictive habits and are trying to quit them both. I am 55 years old and started on MFP in February 2012 and to date have lost 55 pounds. I have also recently quit smoking and after losing most of the weight decided it was time to get healthy. I smoked for 42 years and it was very hard but YOU CAN DO IT. I just ran my first 5K race today and it was wonderful to not have to worry about breathing! The trick is to make sure you log every day, that becomes your new habit. I also have had back problems (herniated disc) and need both knees replaced but with the weight loss I have found new mobility almost pain free. Feel free to add me as a friend. I am always looking for encouragement and motivation. Maybe with new friends it won't seem like you are alone. Good luck.
  • NE_Girl
    NE_Girl Posts: 9
    Options
    I am in the same age and weight loss needs category. You can add me as a friend as well. I was really faithful on MFP earlier in the fall but let it go. It really helped me to stay focused and the support on this site has been great. I am trying to rededicate myself to logging and tracking food and the accountability is really helpful.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    There's a support thread for women over 50 you might like:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919083-women-ages-50-for-march-2013
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Almost sounded like I was reading my own biography!! Please feel free to add me, we have very similar goals!
    !For me, quit smoking was easy!! Losing weight is the hardest thing EVER!!!

Actually I hardly post on facebook, except to check on my kids and grandkids!! \
    I am more online with MFP than anything else!!
    We can do this!!!
    Good Luck,
    Ivy
  • sbussert
    sbussert Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for friends to keep motivated on this journey. add me if you'd like.
    Thx.
    Scott
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started MFP 2 weeks ago. I've found that it's very helpful to lose weight when you keep track of what you're eating. I'm going to be 30 on Wednesday, but I need to lose around 100 - 120 pounds. I've already sent you a friend request. Good luck on your journey!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I'm also 50, and 5'4". I started on MFP in December weighting 232. I now weight 218, with a goal weight of about 140. I log on daily, have an open diary and do cardio and strength training (actually will start w/ weights this coming week). You can add me.
  • jimmypaleo
    Options
    Hello Rkraatz,
    Your symptoms sound like wheat gluten intolerance. Also all wheat has been known to cause enormous hunger all day long.
    You might want to try cutting out all wheat foods for 30 days and noting the changes. Many people have reported great
    relief from many symptoms doing only this plus droping 50-100lbs.
    You can read about these folks on wheatbellyblog.com
    Also you might want to read the great book 'wheat belly' by Dr. Davis.
    I lost 51lbs myself & I was never starving during that time.