Question about shake ingredients...

Options
So I was recently chatting with someone who sells Shakeology (I personally DO NOT like it, I tried it for a month and throught it was disgusting!) anyway, she was trying to talk me into trying it again and I told her it wasn't happening. Anyway she then said the shake I am currently using is horrible for me and very processed ( Herbalife). I am using the shakes for breakfast.. not as a short cut, I love smoothies for breakfast and it is convenient to take to work and very filling. I just drink it once a day. Anyway... Can anyone tell me what makes it unhealthy? This is probably another area I need to education myself in. What would be a better shake to buy? (Not Shakeology! sorry!!)

Replies

• jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    just keep doing what you're doing. sound like she wanted a sale!
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do the GNC Lean Shakes. We like them and I know some people will knock them down, but I only do it for dinner. I eat what I want through out the day thats clean. I also can not afford Shakeology, these are cheaper for us and have some better nutritional value vs Herbalife.
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    First off I'll say, I am a BB coach, but I promise not trying to sell!

From what I know of Herbalife (and I did check both before going with my Shakeology) the ingredients aren't as natural as shakeology. The first 2 ingredients are soy protein and fructose, along with a lot of artificial ingredients and flavors. I talked with a Herbalife girl, and she wanted me to drink 2 shakes a day, plus I had to take extras with them. It became just too much.

They did change the Shakeology formula, so it is much better now. But I think if you are happy with Herbalife, you might as well stick with that. There isn't really any other shake out there that will give you a complete meal without being full of a bunch of chemical crap lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah Herbalife doesn't sound that natural. But I don't think there are much better alternatives out there.

Honestly I drink shakeology and love it (the chocolate one, never tried the old formula though). If that girl is so serious about letting you try it, she could give you a free sample, you wouldn't have to spend a cent, IMO.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    First off I'll say, I am a BB coach, but I promise not trying to sell!

From what I know of Herbalife (and I did check both before going with my Shakeology) the ingredients aren't as natural as shakeology. The first 2 ingredients are soy protein and fructose, along with a lot of artificial ingredients and flavors. I talked with a Herbalife girl, and she wanted me to drink 2 shakes a day, plus I had to take extras with them. It became just too much.

They did change the Shakeology formula, so it is much better now.

This. Shakeology is simple, and it's real. Herbalife has a lot of chemical ingredients, which do nothing but poison your system in the long run.

I drink Shakeology, personally, and I love it. I don't feel like I'm chugging junk, and it blends well with so many difference recipes that I don't get bored from it. I, personally, use the vegan formula (rice protein versus whey, I think). The ingredient list doesn't lie... shakeology is a lot more nutritionally balanced and a lot more "real" for your body to process. Adding things like natural PB and a banana to a shakeo makes it pretty filling and nutritionally sound as a "meal replacement". If you just add milk or something that makes it more of a snack. I've done everything in my shakeo... various fruits, nut butters, maple syrup, walnuts, coconut shred, etc....

The new formula is creamier, less gritty, and the flavor is so much smoother. It was released in January, so if you haven't tried it since then, I'd recommend giving it another go.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You probably had the old chocolate Shakeology, which has been completely re-vamped and is much better. But read your ingredient list. A lot of shakes have oil in them, artificial flavoring, refined sugar (or glucose or fructose or aspartame or Splenda or evaporated cane juice), some of the cheaper shakes have hydrogenated oil in them. If you're only worried about losing what and not what you're putting into your body, then fine. Some people don't mind chemicals and processed food and shakes with less than healthy ingredients and then pumped full of vitamins.

If you're spending good money on your smoothie, then I hope it's staving off your cravings, giving you energy and stamina, giving you an immunity boost, helping you to stay regular and growing your hair like a weed.

Please, if you're gonna do a smoothie or shake, read the label. Or just buy a bunch of fruits and veggies and protein powder and make your own.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I do the GNC Lean Shakes. We like them and I know some people will knock them down, but I only do it for dinner. I eat what I want through out the day thats clean. I also can not afford Shakeology, these are cheaper for us and have some better nutritional value vs Herbalife.

Read your ingredients. The third or fourth ingredient in the GNC GET LEAN shakes is HYDROGENATED OIL (coffee creamer). HYDROGENATED OIL AND GET LEAN? Really?
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    You probably had the old chocolate Shakeology, which has been completely re-vamped and is much better. But read your ingredient list. A lot of shakes have oil in them, artificial flavoring, refined sugar (or glucose or fructose or aspartame or Splenda or evaporated cane juice), some of the cheaper shakes have hydrogenated oil in them. If you're only worried about losing what and not what you're putting into your body, then fine. Some people don't mind chemicals and processed food and shakes with less than healthy ingredients and then pumped full of vitamins.

******* ^^^ The reason I asked the question is because I care about what I put in my body!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're spending good money on your smoothie, then I hope it's staving off your cravings, giving you energy and stamina, giving you an immunity boost, helping you to stay regular and growing your hair like a weed.

Please, if you're gonna do a smoothie or shake, read the label. Or just buy a bunch of fruits and veggies and protein powder and make your own.
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying Nature's Way Alive! Soy Shake or Nature's Way Alive! Pea Protein Shake. I found this on Amazon. Typically, I just put together my own smoothie with Greek yogurt, fruit (berries or pineapple etc.), kale, MRM whey protein powder, sometimes 1/2 banana. Sometimes I add Healthforce MacaForce or Vitamineral Green. I just don't want to use an expensive pre-made shake right now.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have tried a bunch of shakes including most of what GNC carries, need to build muscles, pure protein, Dr. M. vanilla and honestly for me I love shakeology. It is the only one that doesnt upset my tummy or cause me to swell and get headaches. Really it is up to you and what you like. I use the tropical one with almond milk and it doesnt have any weird chalky taste.

So check around, try them out and yes please read the labels.
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone! I guess I should of clarified... I am getting a lot of responses to check the labels... I was asking what makes them unhealthy? What am I looking for on the label that would be a red light for it? Thanks!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Read your ingredients. The third or fourth ingredient in the GNC GET LEAN shakes is HYDROGENATED OIL (coffee creamer). HYDROGENATED OIL AND GET LEAN? Really?

Yes, because we all know that fat makes you fat! NOT! Having oil in something doesn't mean you can't eat it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Honestly, shakeology and Herbalife are both MLM companies so that should tell you a lot right there. I haven't seen them offer anything that other companies don't already offer.

Having said that, buy whatever you like from the major reputable vendors. Optimum Nutrition, Truscience, Gaspari, Nature's Best - brands like that. Personally I think the best tasting is Truscience; their Trutein (which is their blended powder) is unbelievably tasty and mixes will with just water. The macros are great too - even better if you pick their wheyology or isology (whey + whey isolate versions) but it does cost more. Hell I even like Syntrax, especially their casein.
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry to hear about your experience with Shakeology. I'm sorry I really am unable to give any other options because research will show that Shakeology is the healthiest meal replacement on the market. I'm not sure what flavor you used, but there are many recipes available to try. I've used the chocolate as well as Tropical Strawberry and have found both to be very tasty mixed with different ingredients. Hope you find something that you can use that you like.
    LisaMfit4life
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Honestly, shakeology and Herbalife are both MLM companies so that should tell you a lot right there. I haven't seen them offer anything that other companies don't already offer.

Having said that, buy whatever you like from the major reputable vendors. Optimum Nutrition, Truscience, Gaspari, Nature's Best - brands like that. Personally I think the best tasting is Truscience; their Trutein (which is their blended powder) is unbelievably tasty and mixes will with just water. The macros are great too - even better if you pick their wheyology or isology (whey + whey isolate versions) but it does cost more. Hell I even like Syntrax, especially their casein.
    this this this this this this this cannot say this this this enough this this this this
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I am actually going for my Masters in Business, and I find nothing wrong with a MLM company. Yes, some are shady and some aren't. Just like with the shakes, you need to do your research into what you are getting into.

As far as what to look for, anything that is artificial or a chemical. Where are the flavors and colors coming from? What is the source of protein, what is making it sweet?
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I throw organic frozen and fresh fruit into a blender with spinach or kale, a tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil, and chia, flax, &/or hemp seeds. Then I add good organic juice like "just blueberry", pineapple, or "just cranberry" and/or water. Why the canned stuff?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I throw organic frozen and fresh fruit into a blender with spinach or kale, a tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil, and chia, flax, &/or hemp seeds. Then I add good organic juice like "just blueberry", pineapple, or "just cranberry" and/or water. Why the canned stuff?

Most people making shakes are looking for significant protein content - especially for their caloric buck. Your shake sounds good but is basically pure fat and carbs. Which of course, there is nothing wrong with, if that's what you're looking for.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    The ingredients in your shake shouldn't have added sugar or an added sugar substitute. Look at the label to see.
  • shawnamichelle80
    Options
    You should try Visalus if you want to do meal replacement shakes. I was not a fan of Shakeology either... it doesn't taste all that great and you have two flavors that don't leave a lot of room to change up your shake concoctions. With Visalus, it's just a sweet cream flavor that you can add just about anything to. (I love making mine with instant coffee granules and zero calorie caramel flavoring... it's like a Caramel Frappe MMM)

Anyway... if you are interested in trying it, I'd be happy to give you the info to purchase some. I don't sell it myself, but my dad does. Read about it and see what you think. Feel free to message/add me for any details you are interested in.