Anyone tried the 5:2 diet?

Options
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5:2_diet

Sounds really interesting and would love to hear from anyone who has actually been on it and how they went.

Replies

• MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm on it and quite a few others are - there's even a group for it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

I've done it for 4 weeks and have lost 12lbs so far. On the fast days I eat my 500 calories in one evening meal (no particular reason other than it suits my eating style better) and the rest of the day I drink lots of fruit and herbal teas. On the non-fasting days I eat a maintenance level calorie intake which, in my case, is 2110.

On how it feels - well personally I don't feel hungry on it and oddly I feel I have more energy on the fast days and sleep better. The only downside I've discovered so far is that on the day *after* a fast day when I'm eating normally again I find I don't sleep that well. No idea why!

Anyway, if you do decide to go for it (it doesn't suit everyone) I'd recommend joining the group - they're nice people! Feel free to add me as a friend too - I keep my diary open so if you want a peek at a non-perfect dieter in action please feel free :)

Good luck =)
  • jigsaw_gd
    jigsaw_gd Posts: 30
    Options
    ...:smile:
  • jigsaw_gd
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will check out the group and add you as a friend. Oh and congrats on the weight loss - FANTASTIC work!!!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I did it, many weeks, intuitively/unwittingly while following a ketogenic diet because I could easily go 2 days without eating, even while exercising, because my brain was fed endogenously by breaking down my body fat and turning it into beta-hydroxybutyrate.
  • jigsaw_gd
    Options
    Interesting Spartan and your weight loss is fantastic!
  • tiggy73
    tiggy73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just started myself, so am wondering the same thing. Well, I started a second time today. I tried one day about a week ago and realized that for me, it will take some planning so that I'm spreading my calories out during the day. I've had about 450 calories so far today and I am really hungry right now!! I hope it gets easier!
  • jigsaw_gd
    Options
    Hope it goes well for you Tiggy. Would be interested to hear how it works out.
  • tiggy73
    tiggy73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I did it yesterday for the full day, and I'll be honest, it was pretty tough. I'm used to eating regularly throughout the day, so was REALLY hungry, even though I tried to space out my calories throughout the day. I can post what I ate/drank if any of you are interested.

The weird thing was, I was not hungry when I woke up this morning, although I did have a bit of a headache and I've been pretty tired, but I think that might be because of DST change. I almost decided to do my second fast day today, since I wasn't hungry, but wasn't sure how that would go having to work today.

I'm planning on doing my second day this week on Thursday.
  • jigsaw_gd
    Options
    Interesting, I also did the first "fast" day yesterday and found that I did get hungry at one time other than that I was fine ... however I did wake up this morning feeling hungry!

I'm actually going to have my second "fast" day tomorrow so I will let you know how that goes :)