Do I really need a day of REST?

Options
2»

Replies

• vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I exercise almost everyday. I rest when my body tells me i need too. Sometimes i just do a class, sometimes just weights, sometimes just cardio or swimming. Other days I do two or three of those things.. But.. if I feel like i need to sit on my butt all day, then I do.. it's healthy occasionally. Exercise is my stress relief, my outlet for frustration.. it keeps me calm so I exercise a lot. LOL

I love to sit on my but all day too on a Sunday... watch a movie with my family or play with my dogs. It's my favorite thing to do when not being active. Sometimes you really do just need one of those days... :flowerforyou: Today I food shopped, walked the dogs, worked on the laundry (up and down the stairs) and am just chilling now. Love it!
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wat if you rest for a few hours between work outs.like if you work out in the morning and the rest until night time and finish your work out
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There are no set rules or anything but I'm thinking more of a rest over a 24 hour period. If you're totally strapped for time and split up your workout, you are still working out the same day. Just a thought.
  • ThePolishExperiment
    ThePolishExperiment Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do 5 days in a row, you could do 3 days, have one rest, do 2 days, then another rest day, and go for long walks on your days off to stretch your muscles, or do some stretching, which is less strenuous.

If you don't rest, your muscles can't and won't repair themselves, definitely need to have those 2 rest days, I am on a workout program that means I work out 5 days a week, not all in one go though, as I have to fit it around work.

Normally my rest days are just keeping active, and sometimes go for a walk or to the park and sit and read, as long as your not working out on your rest days, you will be fine.

Also your muscles will get used to the feeling of working out so you will feel less sore all the time, and the more you do, and the more you push yourself, the better the results will be, and the happier you will be because you didn't give up, and you kept pushing through.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way last year and one or two rest days a week is a lot better than 6-8 weeks of rest with a stress fracture. :laugh:

It's part of the formula. Food. Exercise. Rest. Each are as important as the other. But like others said, "rest" doesn't mean "couch-bound" (unless you end up with a stress fracture like me). A typical rest day for me involves a long slow walk with the dog, or major turbo power cleaning, or gardening, or lots and lots of mall walking while shopping.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I run three days a week, lift three days a week, and take a nice long walk, or a swim or something on the seventh day. Resting doesn't mean just sitting.