Update: Liquor, To Drink or Not to Drink

Options
Well almost to the weekend and no drinks came close to my lips. Taking a sip is so relaxing for me, Make dinner, eat and have a nice mellow drink before I go to sleep. But since I'm fasting from liquor this month, and not an entire month because I just started Monday, Jun 7, 2010, I havent been able to do my usual routine. All in all I feel great. Drinking wears you out, even if it is 1 glass. But so far so good, no withdrawals. I'm curious to see my weighloss Saturday, I'm so nervous

Replies

• ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am sure no alcohol will really help your cause, congrats!! You are worth this effort and it is bringing you one step closer to your goals. :smile:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm sure you'll feel great!
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am sure no alcohol will really help your cause, congrats!! You are worth this effort and it is bringing you one step closer to your goals. :smile:

thanks! and girl i luv that poem! We had to memorize in middle school some 20 something years ago and I never forgot it!!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Good for you! I'm sure you'll feel great!

Thank you! Yes I feel awesome!!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, unfortunately, is a lot of empty calories, often accompanied by sugar and other horrors. I drink it RARELY. I say if you want a little something to relax you at night, try a low dose of melatonin and either read or meditate while it kicks in. Or do yoga. I often fall asleep during the yoga rest at the end of my workout. :blushing:
  • Daryn46
    Daryn46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree, alcohol is a major enemy of all weight loss attempts. I have been off of alcohol for 12 or 13 days now. With working out hard, using My Fitness Pal, I have lost 12 pounds in 10 days. I didn't think it could be done, but sure enough. It is hard, when you use alcohol to unwind and relax it is a shock to the system to suddenly stop. But energy wise, and weight loss wise, not drinking makes sense. The tiredness and exhaustion that was there two weeks ago is no longer there. I have been drinking club soda with a lime, it fills me up like a beer. Good luck and hang in there.
  • homerjquinn
    Options
    tameka1220 - well done on cutting down the alcohol. It is still my major downfall. Need to stay strong during the world cup.

gtrigg - love the Dr Seuss quote!!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Alcohol, unfortunately, is a lot of empty calories, often accompanied by sugar and other horrors. I drink it RARELY. I say if you want a little something to relax you at night, try a low dose of melatonin and either read or meditate while it kicks in. Or do yoga. I often fall asleep during the yoga rest at the end of my workout. :blushing:

i've always wanted to try yoga, i bought a yoga dvd a while ago, used it once and was so sore the next day! i never used it again! lol! but i do wanna try it again
  • tameka1220
    Options
    I agree, alcohol is a major enemy of all weight loss attempts. I have been off of alcohol for 12 or 13 days now. With working out hard, using My Fitness Pal, I have lost 12 pounds in 10 days. I didn't think it could be done, but sure enough. It is hard, when you use alcohol to unwind and relax it is a shock to the system to suddenly stop. But energy wise, and weight loss wise, not drinking makes sense. The tiredness and exhaustion that was there two weeks ago is no longer there. I have been drinking club soda with a lime, it fills me up like a beer. Good luck and hang in there.

12-13 days, good for you!! and 12lbs in 10 days is awesome too! i'm hanging in there. can't wait to see my weigh in this saturday
  • roderick_stacey
    roderick_stacey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good for you:smile:
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Heeyyy Meka mek!!! It is a fact that no alcohol should be consumed due to the empty calorie content nevertheless... some says that red a glass of red wine had it's benefits. I:drinker really have not found a red wine that i like except Olive Gardens Sangria... but i have on glass a night if i have some on hand so it's not every night and it takes me a whole week to drink a bottle of Moscato... but each to their own... Again the facts say NO!!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Good for you:smile:

thank you!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Heeyyy Meka mek!!! It is a fact that no alcohol should be consumed due to the empty calorie content nevertheless... some says that red a glass of red wine had it's benefits. I:drinker really have not found a red wine that i like except Olive Gardens Sangria... but i have on glass a night if i have some on hand so it's not every night and it takes me a whole week to drink a bottle of Moscato... but each to their own... Again the facts say NO!!

Thanks mek! Yes just say no! Or in moderation. But i'm really curious to see if me not drinking alcohol will help me lose more weight than drinking it. So we'll see. And if i lose more this month, i think that will have played a major part. A whole month. help me!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i stopped drinking on the 1st Jan as a new year pledge and have only had 1 beer since to see if i still liked the taste--i didnt and i dont miss it. i didnt lose much by just stopping the booze because i started drinking more coffee with full cream milk. it has made dieting easier because it was one less addiction to give up.-i started dieting in April and have lost 25 pounds/12kilos by joining a gym and keeping a caloried controlled diet--giving up is not going to cure all the weight!!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Well almost to the weekend and no drinks came close to my lips. Taking a sip is so relaxing for me, Make dinner, eat and have a nice mellow drink before I go to sleep. But since I'm fasting from liquor this month, and not an entire month because I just started Monday, Jun 7, 2010, I havent been able to do my usual routine. All in all I feel great. Drinking wears you out, even if it is 1 glass. But so far so good, no withdrawals. I'm curious to see my weighloss Saturday, I'm so nervous

I'm rooting for you, you'll have everybody checking your progress now LOL!

I have to admit I love going out and drinking, however, it plays havoc with our weight loss as I am sure many of us know. If I go out now, I tend to drink white wine spritzers or just white wine rather than my usual vodka and diet coke and I have to make sure I limit them too otherwise I would just keep going :laugh: - sure I miss the voddies, but losing weight is more important to me and I so want to get down to my goal.
  • KathleenAGarrity
    KathleenAGarrity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too am cutting out drink for the month of June - not that I am a party animal or anything, but I would have a bottle of wine over the weekend. I have had a major major plateau with my weight loss from the beginning and am curious to see if the lack of alchol will make the scale drop! Here's to a dry June!
  • tameka1220
    Options

I'm rooting for you, you'll have everybody checking your progress now LOL!

I have to admit I love going out and drinking, however, it plays havoc with our weight loss as I am sure many of us know. If I go out now, I tend to drink white wine spritzers or just white wine rather than my usual vodka and diet coke and I have to make sure I limit them too otherwise I would just keep going :laugh: - sure I miss the voddies, but losing weight is more important to me and I so want to get down to my goal.

Vodka is my weakness!!! OMG! I am a social drinker. So if I go out i HAVE to walk around sippin looking cute (or so i try to). therefore, I can't go out lol!!! yes everybody we'll be checking up on me. that's good, i'll need all the support!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options
    gtrigg - love the Dr Seuss quote!!

Thank ya! All hail SEUSS!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Options

i've always wanted to try yoga, i bought a yoga dvd a while ago, used it once and was so sore the next day! i never used it again! lol! but i do wanna try it again

I use a beginner yoga DVD that is not awful at all. It was cheap, too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H8RVSO/ref=oss_product There are some very short routines. She won't kill you. I promise. :flowerforyou:
  • tameka1220
    Options

I use a beginner yoga DVD that is not awful at all. It was cheap, too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H8RVSO/ref=oss_product There are some very short routines. She won't kill you. I promise. :flowerforyou:

THANKS I WILL LOOK INTO IT!