success stories from 1200 calorie dieters wanted

Options

Replies

• charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    I follow a low carb diet, and I usually stay under 1200 calories per day. No sugar, and no grains. I've lost 19 pounds, and I don't feel hungry. My blood sugar is good, my cholestrol is very good, and my blood pressure is 100 over 80. So why would I change what is obviously working for me? I'm 65 years old. Everybody's physiology is different, and there IS NO ONE WAY THAT'S RIGHT FOR ALL OF US! So please back off on the preaching. Thanks.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    35979496.jpg
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    1200 calories, low carb diet, protein first then my veggies ... 48 pounds down so far ... lowest weight I have been since my early 20's and feeling great. It's working and I am doing this under a doctor's and nutritionist's supervision. Very HAPPY! Still 32 pounds from my goal ... although I may adjust it down a few pounds ... but I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Oh lord thank you Alice! I am joining right now as this thread has clearly run amok as they say! LOL

Oh and I forgot to add, white wine would be lovely! :smile:

LOL -- You're welcome. Cheers! ;c)
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight on a 1,200 diet. I'm not going to lie I find it tough going. I have asked questions on the eat more weigh less board(one yesterday) and no one has answered my question so far :indifferent:
    There seems to be a good few people against eating 1,200 on this post maybe you could answer questions on that board rather than getting into the who is right who is wrong...

Yes you can lose weight on 1,200
    Yes you can lose weight eating a lot more.
  • 302cupcake
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories and I'm certainly losing weight. It's all about your body! If you went from eating 3,000 calories a day then yes, you have to slowly get your body down or switching too soon will put your body in 'shock', not allowing you to naturally lose.

Actually, no.

I was eating at least 3000 a day 10 months ago when I weighed 302 pounds.

My doctor (yes, I actually went to the doctor and got his opinions) said that I needed to cut my calories way down and that there is nothing wrong with losing weight fast. Staying morbidly obese has more risks and I was diabetic, had/have major joint damage and blood test results that spelled doom. I started out around 1300 calories and have eaten around 1200-1250 on the average day.

A drastic change does not 'shock' your system, that is just silly.

I've lost steadily, going up to a week (but no more) without a loss and then losing again. I plan to add a hundred or so calories a day once I reach a weight I feel comfortable at. All my blood work is normal. I was a size 26-28 and now at 179, I'm an 8-10. I'm 49, 5'7" and do not exercise as much as I'd like due to the joint problems, but I sleep well and while I do get hungry, it's because it is time to eat, so I do.
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    This is a great topic. I am new here to MFP and have been curious whether I was taking in enough calories at 1200. Thank you so much to everyone who has shared their stories, success and otherwise. I greatly value learning from those who have traveled the road before me. :smile:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    35979496.jpg

Awesome for you, but some people aren't so lucky.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    When I first started using MFP, I think last year summer? I was on a 1200 calories a day diet, and in about 2 1/2 months, I lost 25 pounds and yes I still ate food. (Some people actually thought I was starving). It works I mean if it was not safe, why would MFP even give you the choice on it right? But it could be hard in the beginning if you are not use to eating less calories, but think of it this way, if you cannot keep up with 5 small meals a day, you can give yourself 500 calorie meal three times a day and work off the excess to balance it out. 500 calories makes you full but don't assume just any. Example, a 300 cal. mcchicken is not a good idea, maybe whole wheat bread topped with tuna, low fat cheese etc.

Good Luck!

because MFP is set up so that you also eat your exercise calories in addition to the 1200 it sets for you.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I reached my goals netting between 1100 and 1200 calories a day. Sometimes I ate all my exercises calories, and sometimes I ate only half of it.

I have been on maintenance for over two years, and I still eat more or less the same way. I am not hungry, starving or cranky, and if I want to eat more during the weekends (rest days), I do it without problems. I keep my carbs under 150 and my protein between 90 and 120 gr/day.

I am 69 years old. 4'11" and my weight fluctuate between 101 and 102lbs. According with several websites my BMR is between 1045 and 1075, so my net is well above those numbers. My TDEE is around 1600, so I am really eating (total) between 10 and 15% below.

No, I am not anorexic, or a "melted candle,"and I am not a prune either. I have small waist but wide hips and I am busty. I do weight training, limited cardio, Pilates, Yoga, Ballet, and some DVD workouts when I want a change in my routine. I have a sluggish thyroid and I am on meds, so I need to keep my weight under control. I know my body and I respect my body, and my doctor is very happy with my weight and lab results.

In my book, the quality of my calories is as important as the quantity. I don’t eat junk, I don’t eat fast food, and I don’t endorse any particular diet regimen, and even on the days that I go over my goals, I am very careful to make my choices as healthy as possible.

Do I want to eat more, can I eat more? NO to both questions! For me this is a long term goal that is very easy to maintain, and my stomach is not happy when I go above my limit. On the other hand, if I need more fuel, my body will tell me and I will oblige
    Is this a success story? I don’t know just make your own decision. I am happy and that is all that counts.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with this approach-1100 to 1200 net is much different than 1100 to 1200 gross.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Did 1200 calories two years ago, lost 10 pounds, kept it off and this was after I quit using mfp, so I have not been at a constant 1200 calorie level this entire time.

Decided to come back on and lose some more :).
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 69 years old.

You really can't compare your caloric needs to the 25 year olds on here. They need to eat more than you do.

Women over 40 (and especially over 50) -- Please come join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9239-the-ladies-who-lunch

No skinny teenagers or bulky body-builders... just real women "of an age" who know ourselves and our bodies, have been through childbirth and/or menopause, enjoy real food, and will never, ever spend 1 or 2, let alone 5 or 6 hours a day in the gym. We have real lives, real jobs, real families, we know who we are, we have a sense of humor about that (by the way), and we're willing to share what we're learning (without judgment) with each other.

And wine. There's always room for wine.

So maybe you didn't mean it to come out that way, but i find your comment incredibly offensive, because you appear to have the idea that anyone who doesn't fit your definition isn't a "real" woman. That's such an oppositional view of things. I like the gym, and I have to eat more than 1200 calories or I get sick. That does not make me, or anyone like me, not "real". So it's a bit ironic you talk about "no judgement" in your closing.
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs in 3 months eating 1200 calories a day. And exercising several times a week. And, I'd cheat 1x a week or so.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am 69 years old.

You really can't compare your caloric needs to the 25 year olds on here. They need to eat more than you do.

Women over 40 (and especially over 50) -- Please come join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9239-the-ladies-who-lunch

No skinny teenagers or bulky body-builders... just real women "of an age" who know ourselves and our bodies, have been through childbirth and/or menopause, enjoy real food, and will never, ever spend 1 or 2, let alone 5 or 6 hours a day in the gym. We have real lives, real jobs, real families, we know who we are, we have a sense of humor about that (by the way), and we're willing to share what we're learning (without judgment) with each other.

So maybe you didn't mean it to come out that way, but i find your comment incredibly offensive, because you appear to have the idea that anyone who doesn't fit your definition isn't a "real" woman. That's such an oppositional view of things. I like the gym, and I have to eat more than 1200 calories or I get sick. That does not make me, or anyone like me, not "real". So it's a bit ironic you talk about "no judgement" in your closing.

You beat me to it. I really really HATE the term "real woman" when used to compare different characteristics. Talk about judgment city.
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have set MFP to lose 2 lbs/week. My daily goal is 1200, but of course I exercise. I do try to eat back the calories. I don't measure or weigh my food. I'm pretty good at eyeballing it, and if I did measure and weigh, I'd drive myself crazy. Sometimes, I come in under my calorie goal, and as long as I have energy and feel well, I don't panic about "starvation mode." Other times, I go over my goal, and I am ok with that. Because 1200 is the low end that is recommended, I don't feel so bad. I may not actually lose 2 lbs/week, but I'm going to lose. Most of the time, I don't came far off from 1200 and I feel perfectly fine. Along with watching WHAT I eat, I've lost 16 lbs since January on what is probably considered a 1200 calorie diet. I feel pretty good, and if I'm not a success story, I am confident that I am one in the making.
  • deb2799
    deb2799 Posts: 45
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1300 daiy and the weight is coming off pretty easily. I am not hungry either!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am 69 years old.

So you can only share your story if you're young.

Got it.

That's not what I said. My point was that the caloric needs of a 69 year old woman at 4'11" are going to be much lower than a 25 year old who is 5'6". She was trying to make it sound like what was an acceptably low number for her was also acceptable for someone with much higher metabolic needs.

But go ahead. Misinterpret what I said. There's a lot of that going on around here anyway.

The 69 yr old was actually giving her success story. That was what this thread was supposed to be in the first place but several of us have taken it elsewhere ...myself included.

Thank you! I was going to clarify that and much more but you beat me to it and I appreciate it. :flowerforyou:
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I may as well throw in my 2 cents.
    I am 47 years old. 5' 2" and 112 pounds. Tiny frame.

Three years ago I lost 25 pounds at 1200 calories or less over the space of a year. I lost lean body mass doing only cardio and eating lots and lots raw veggies and hardly any protein because I couldn't afford the calorie cost and stay under 1200. I did not have the figure I wanted at the weight I achieved, I was very squishy and jiggly. The diet was not sustainable for me and when I stopped keeping track of what I was eating I gained much of it back in a year. I was always hungry. My body fat stayed very high, at over 40%.

Now I eat back my exercise calories on top of the 1200 calories. Less cardio, cross train, lift heavy, and eat a lot of protein. I am smaller at 112 (not that I care what the scale says any more) and stronger. I look fit and healthy. I feel great. My body fat has dropped from 43% to 29%. My LBM is increasing.

1200 calories worked to lose weight. 1200 plus exercise calories is giving me the fitness and figure that I want.

1200 worked when I wanted to watch what I ate very very carefully but it wasn't very fun and was actually depressing. I thought I would have to eat 1200 or less the rest of my life to stay a reasonable weight.

Do what works for you and what makes you happy.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am 69 years old.

Thank you for the invitation but I do spend one to two hours at the gym several times a week, and I would sleep there if my husband would let me do it.

My food is real, not fake; and I believe that every female, regardless of their weight, height, color of skin, choice of diet and/or exercise, or other choices, are REAL women.

I don’t believe that ladies that spend a lot of time at the gym or decide to do weight training, boxing, or running marathons should not be considered REAL women. After all, many of them hold jobs and families just like you and the ladies in your group.

So, thank you again for the invitation, but I will not join your group anytime soon. I don’t like the mission statement.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I know a girl that lost 130#s in 12 months on 1200 cals went from 258 to 128, her body now looks like a 1/2 melted candle.

Best. Post. Ever! :laugh:

Loose skin can happen no matter how fast you lost it, and its more genetic than anything. I'm going to have loose skin and I eat more than 1200 a day. It comes with having been heavy for a longish period of time and age in my case.

I'll take loose skin over the health problems I had a year ago due to being 263 lbs.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!