what do you order at restaurants?

Options
If you have to go a restaurant while dieting, what do you order?

For me, I order shrimp cocktail A LOT bc it is very low cal. Or I push for a sushi restuarant where I can get maybe a tuna roll and some sashimi. Any type of plain fish with a grain like plain rice is perfect for me to eat out and stay on task

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for a steak with salad or veg. The menu usually has the weight of the steak and at least I know exactly what I'm eating.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I go with steak a plain salad with no dressing or cheese or croutons. .. I ask for a lemon wedge or vinegar and oil instead of dressing. If I get cooked veggies I ask for no butter or seasoning. If the steak comes with a baked potato I ask for tomato slices.... My favourite restaurant always does it for me like that!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Dressing on the side & hold the mayo are my go-to eating out phrases...

A lot of times I'll go for something simple like steak or grilled fish with baked potato and a veggie, or if I'm splurging just eat half and take half home. Love that more and more restaurants are offering diet friendly items.
  • peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Seafood is the way to go for me. Grilled seafood that is. But usually, I order what sounds good, if it's what I want, and if it happens to be less healthy I just make sure I only eat half or less of it and have the rest for leftovers. But a lot of restaurants offer nutritional guides and things on the menu like Weight Watchers or Under xx Calorie items. Plus if you have MFP on your phone you can usually look and see exactly what you're getting if the description sounds suspect. I.E. I was at Ocharley's and the item sounded fairly harmless, it was a grilled chicken plate or some sort...but I looked it up before i ordered and saw it had way more calories than I had expected (over 1k) so I ended up with the sante fe tilapia instead :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try and pick restaurants that have lower calories menu (and I check the fat content before going). Or at least I try to stick to chains and check the calories before ordering. Otherwise, grilled chicken or fish with veggies pretty much, the sauce is always a gamble though.. but I guess you could just ask no sauce and/or a few wedges of lemon. Or a salad with low cal dressing.
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    Eating at restaurants is probably my BIGGEST struggle..I usually do a salad/sirloinsteak/burger and i'll eat half of it.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken and a plain sweet potato
  • lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually get salads/grilled calamari/soups or if I know i'm going out at night, i'll look at the menu at the start of the day and add the cals in my dairy in the morning. Therefore I know how many cals i can eat for the rest of the day without going over.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My hubbie took me to lunch at Marie Callender's after church. After confirming that one slice of lemon merique pie is 550 calories, I ordered the top sirloin delight with small potatoes and asparagus for only 440 calories. I even had take out to make a pita sandwich with steak tonight.

I left that slice of pie at the restaurant. I am not going to mess up so much, when I am almost half way to my new knees.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Food.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    whatever i want since i rarely go out t o eat
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Anything I want. I just eat a sensible portion. Food isn't bad, eating too much is.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    whatever i want since i rarely go out t o eat

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I even had a 1200 calorie brownie, ice cream, caramel, nut thingie last week. (Of course, *that* happens about once a year).