Am I doing this right? Pls Help!!!

Options
Hi im only a couple weeks in on this site, and im not sure if im doing this right. I just want to know that I am, so I can suceed, and if im not... can someone help me?

Im 31/female/ my current weight is 238/my goal weight is 130/ im short only 4 foot 10 inches/
My dail activity level is set to sedentary.
I excercise 7 days a week and do 30 mins or more of cardio and 3 mile home walking.. sometimes walking 2 miles outside.
I burn between 230 or more a day.
set to loose 1 pound a week.

My BMR is 1811- forget which site I got this....
but the site said - calories needed to loose weight 1423-1675

MFP has me set to 1610.. I have been eating about 1400 a day and not eating back exceercise and have lost 4 pounds.
but what do you think I should be eating per day? and is excercise calories already included in this site?

Please Help!! I feel like a ediot asking... but I just wanna make sure im doing this right....
If you could tell me what I should be eating, and steps on how you figured it out... it would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• WannaBeFitJean
    WannaBeFitJean Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ^ Bump anyone?
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Go here and read every word. It is the updated version of the link posted above by someone else.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    ^^ What they said. It's a lot of information, but it's all very good. Follow it!
  • WannaBeFitJean
    Options
    ty I will check it out..
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If MFP set you to 1610 on sedentary, and you did not change the calorie setting manually, then no, exercise calories are not included. That's why when you put exercise in your diary, it adjusts your daily calorie allowance to be higher by the same amount. In general, you should try to eat at least some portion of this amount. So, I think you should eat close to the 1610 on days you don't exercise, and more on the days you do. 1400 sounds too low at your current weight, especially at your stated activity level.

It can be confusing, and some people will say, what's the point of eating that, I burned it on purpose. The point is, as already stated, MFP does not count those calories into what is needed to maintain your daily functions. If you exercise more, you need more fuel. Some people do not eat ALL the calories given them on days they work out because they believe that MFP over exaggerates calorie burn. It probably does, so bear that in mind.

Also keep in mind that while exercise is good for you, too much of a good thing can become bad. Take a rest day or two and give yourself a chance to recover. You should also consider incorporating weight bearing (strength building) exercises, either using your own body weight or free weights/machines to help combat the loss of lean body mass that is inherent with weight loss. It will also help increase your strength and quite possibly your balance, etc, to make it easier to do life stuff, like carrying groceries and picking up kids or dogs or whatever you do.

Good luck. Sounds like you're off to a good start.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Yes, you're doing it right. Yes, you can succeed. You've already lost 4 pounds!! Check out the success story posts and you will see many people who have lost as much or more than your goal.

Exercise is only included in MFP if you included it in your activity level. Otherwise the calories are a bonus. Eat them or not, it's up to you. There are many threads on this topic and there doesn't seem to be any agreement on this topic. Personally, I eat them if I'm hungry or being indulgent. Or I'll save them for another day.

As you are a diabetic you should check with your doctor and ask for a referral to a registred nutritionist. Your macros (carbs/protein/fats) may be different from the recommendations on this or any other site.

Good luck!!!
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. You are doing well already...keep it up.

Not sure where you got your information, which site, but a good one is called

www.scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I use it all the time to check that I am keeping my info accurate and up-to-date.
  • WannaBeFitJean
    Options
    thanks, they should put this in for everyone when they first sign up lol

It can get quite confusing for a newbie....
  • WannaBeFitJean
    Options
    Ty this gave me a better understanding and helped me a lot!!
  • WannaBeFitJean
    Options
    Thanks! No im not diabetic... but I will be heading that way, if I dont get the weight off. I was a gestational diabetic during my pregnancy.. which caused a lof of problems... the baby and I both almost died, Sooooo thank GOD we are both here today... and I need to do this for me, and my kids.
  • dvwilliams1115
    Options
    Me and you wiegh abouth the same. (I am 5'5 and 219) and I usually run/walk on the treadmill or do workout vieos for about 30 minutes.) I usually lose about 1-2 lbs a week and i burn about 400 calories a day. Hope this helped.

btw: Burning over 1000 calories in a day seems very hard to do and also you would have to eat some of the calories that you burned or else you would go into starvation mode.
  • WannaBeFitJean
    Options
    lol I understand everything now... It also depends on how you set your activiety level!

You pretty much wanna make sure you burn more calories than you eat.

So MFP has me set to 1610 so if I burn 230 cals a day thats 1840 So I would want to eat about in between there

Days I dont excercise... I would want to eat a bit below 1610

Correct?
  • neecie5
    neecie5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are doing GREAT with the exercise. Keep with the 5-6 cardio sessions per week, and be sure to sweat. Augment that with 2-3 strength sessions per week (weights or pushups/squats/situp). The lean muscle won't make you bigger, but smaller and more toned. The muscle will also burn the fat in your body.

With the food in mind, my advice would be to take these essential steps that have worked for me and others I know: stock your fridge with the fruits and vegetables you enjoy most (grapes, apples, bananas, cut up peppers and carrots...it's up to you, but have them at the ready), lean protein like chicken, tuna and salmon, and light options of crackers and chips. Get Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers icecream treats that you can have once per day. Go through your cupboards and fridge, and get rid of the foods that are too high in fat or carbs. Don't be afraid to donate them, or even throw them away. You don't need anything in the house that will tempt you. If you get a mad craving for a cookie, or apple pie for example, go to Whole Foods and get one as a special treat once per week. Remember: if nothing changes, nothing changes.
  • WannaBeFitJean
    Options
    You are doing GREAT with the exercise. Keep with the 5-6 cardio sessions per week, and be sure to sweat. Augment that with 2-3 strength sessions per week (weights or pushups/squats/situp). The lean muscle won't make you bigger, but smaller and more toned. The muscle will also burn the fat in your body.

With the food in mind, my advice would be to take these essential steps that have worked for me and others I know: stock your fridge with the fruits and vegetables you enjoy most (grapes, apples, bananas, cut up peppers and carrots...it's up to you, but have them at the ready), lean protein like chicken, tuna and salmon, and light options of crackers and chips. Get Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers icecream treats that you can have once per day. Go through your cupboards and fridge, and get rid of the foods that are too high in fat or carbs. Don't be afraid to donate them, or even throw them away. You don't need anything in the house that will tempt you. If you get a mad craving for a cookie, or apple pie for example, go to Whole Foods and get one as a special treat once per week. Remember: if nothing changes, nothing changes.

Thanks for the info!! Im doing great at temptaion... Unfortinetly I cant get rid of everything too high in fat or carbs... with two kids and a hubby... makes that impossiable lol
    But yes I have learned to eat better =) and its not as bad or hard as I thought it would be.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Using the Scooby calculator, your BMR is 1688, not what you posted. This is an important thing to have correct.
  • WannaBeFitJean
    Options
    Using the Scooby calculator, your BMR is 1688, not what you posted. This is an important thing to have correct.

yes I did the scooby calculator it says my BMR is 1813?
    my TDEE is 2175
    Daily caloires ( loose 20% calorie reduction 1740

So can anyone tell me what im doing wrong and what this means?
  • WannaBeFitJean
    Options
    ^