Lose 5-10 pounds in March 2013!!!

Options
Hello person behind the screen!

I just joined myfitnesspal today. I have about 30 pounds to lose and I plan to take away 1/3 this month. Anyone want to join me?

I'm 18 years old and only 4'9. I weigh 125 pounds and my goal is 95-97 pounds. WHat are you goals?

I plan on getting up at 6:00 in the A.M and doing Billy Blake for about 45 mins then having breakfast. I'm going to be doing cardio 3 times a week and strength training 4 times a week since it's my favorite. I'm going to be pushing the water and veggies!!! I plan to eat 5 meals a day.

i would love to have 2 or more people joining me. We could keep each other on track and weigh in weekly. What do you think? WOuld you care to have a friend help you along your journey to a better you? I know I sure would:)

Molly

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    There are only 3 weeks left in March ad you are planning to lose 10lb - over 3 lb per week?

I think you have joined the wrong site - MFP does not recomend that sort of weight loss at all
  • lisanhorowitz
    lisanhorowitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? Work on slow lifestyle changes not "I need to lose now."
  • Fat2fitgirl18
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I do appreciate:) Do you think 5 pounds would be ideal then? Or should I stick with like 2 pounds? Thanks for the help!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With the weight you have left, 1 lb per week is good. If you just started you will probably lose a bit more due to water weight. Also, add
  • psuLemon
    Options
    One last thing do not exercise every day . Your body needs rest and that is where you see the best results when your body heals itself.
  • Fat2fitgirl18
    Options
    Thank you!!! Can I move lightly on rest days? I love moving. It makes me feel alive!!! lol:)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank you!!! Can I move lightly on rest days? I love moving. It makes me feel alive!!! lol:)

I wouldnt push yourself too much. I mean you can go for a walk or do stretching but you want to optimize muscle repair.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    10 pounds is more than 10% of your body weight.

Take it off. Keep it off. Go for a pound a week.
  • drewunalkat
    Options
    There are only 3 weeks left in March ad you are planning to lose 10lb - over 3 lb per week?

I think you have joined the wrong site - MFP does not recomend that sort of weight loss at all

3lbs a week is fine, as long as she is carb cutting etc, and keeping a decent amount of calories coming in. i loose 3lbs a week, and it isn't a problem. plus in the first few weeks of healthy eating, you can loose much more (7lbs+). for example, this can be due to lower salt in your diet, and thus your body. which (due to osmosis), will reduce your water weight.

if you intermittent fast, you can loose some good weight - with minimum muscle loss. also, avoiding artificial chemicals can help big time too! they did a experiment on rats, where they reduced a rats calories to half of maintenance, but gave is a common food additive each day. despite the popular thinking on thermodynamics - the rat put on weight!
  • psuLemon
    Options

3lbs a week is fine, as long as she is carb cutting etc, and keeping a decent amount of calories coming in. i loose 3lbs a week, and it isn't a problem. plus in the first few weeks of healthy eating, you can loose much more (7lbs+). for example, this can be due to lower salt in your diet, and thus your body. which (due to osmosis), will reduce your water weight.

if you intermittent fast, you can loose some good weight - with minimum muscle loss. also, avoiding artificial chemicals can help big time too! they did a experiment on rats, where they reduced a rats calories to half of maintenance, but gave is a common food additive each day. despite the popular thinking on thermodynamics - the rat put on weight!

Only an obese person can aim for more than 1 lb of fat per week... 3 lbs of fat wont happen with someone as small as the OP. Also, IF will not provide any greater results and most of the results of IF is anecdotal. While i am not saying IF is bad but if calories is equal then fat loss will be equal. Addition we arent rats and its all about calories in vs out for weight loss. That had been proven millions of times. So no need to complicate things.

The OP can cut carbs but all you are doing is reducing glycogen storage and water weight.. while its a good ego boost its not providing greater fat loss.
  • Fat2fitgirl18
    Options
    Hey guys, shouldn't we be helping each other instead of tearing each other down? I'm just a girl who wants to be the best she can be in a healthy positive way!!! I'll make a bet, I will weigh 115 by the end of March only using real foods and moving everyday. I don't care what anyone says, I know I can do this. I will not use pills or other extreme measures to lose the weight. I can and I will do it in a healthy manner.
  • yaneth714
    Options
    Hey molly am with you.
  • Heathmarcroft
    Options
    I'll join you, I'm planning on losing 5 pounds by april 10th or so. I'm currently 5'11" and weigh 160lbs.
    I need to lose a bit so I can send some hard routes(Bouldering) this upcoming season.
    So 3.5 or so lbs. in march.... That seems do-able. Lets do this!!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hey guys, shouldn't we be helping each other instead of tearing each other down? I'm just a girl who wants to be the best she can be in a healthy positive way!!! I'll make a bet, I will weigh 115 by the end of March only using real foods and moving everyday. I don't care what anyone says, I know I can do this. I will not use pills or other extreme measures to lose the weight. I can and I will do it in a healthy manner.

We are all here to help each other but we want to ensure you set yourself for success and not failure. Aiming for 5-10 lbs of month can not be done in a healthy way. If you want to post your stats and exercise routine i will show you the math to prove my point. Also, we are trying to set you up to sustain the weight loss. Its extremely common for those to lose quick and then fall off the wagon and gain more back when if they would have set moderate goals they would still be at a good weight.
  • insane_zephyr
    insane_zephyr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    HI!! I want to lose around 7lbs within this month as well! I'm turning 27 day after tomorrow, and I want to treat myself to nice clothes again!! I'm 5'2" and 170lbs right now, so well into being obese. Already lost 2 pounds this month, so hopefully will be able to lose the extra 5 pounds by the end of this month. Fingers crossed!! Add me! ^_^
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options

Cant see how anyone was 'tearing you down'
    Sure, peoplewerent telling you what you wanted to hear but the replies were all polite and helpful.

and MFP does recomend a MAXIMUM rate loss of 2 lb per week - so if you wish to do other than that, it probably isnt the method for you.
    Not tearing you down, just stating a fact.

Just like I , for example, have no intention of going on a Paleo diet - joining a site purely about Paleo diets wouldnt be a good idea for me.
  • Fat2fitgirl18
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Today I am focusing on abs and cardio. I've already done 50 abs moves and 10 mins of jumping rope. feeling great:) What are you doing today?
  • Fat2fitgirl18
    Options
    Thank you for trying to help. I mean that. I don't want to be stupid but for me, if I'm not losing or even making some kind of forward progress then I stop. I've tried to lose weight in the past by following this 1 pound a week or even a massive number like 10 pounds in a week and I've only gained more weight. I made a vow to myself that no matter what, I would not give up. i know I can do this in a healthy manner. But I do understand what you are trying to say. Thank you for your words of wisdom:smile:
  • Fat2fitgirl18
    Options
    My workout plan for the month of March is a s follows and until I reach 97 pounds: Any tips or workout plans or any problems with what I am doing please tell me!!!

Day one: Arms and cardio
    Day two: Just cardio
    Day three: Abs and cardio
    Day four: Legs and cardio
    Day five: Arms and cardio
    Day six: Abs and cardio
    Day seven: Rest
    Report for every week!
    I'll be entering what I'm doing and eating in to the diary. WHat do you all think? WHat does your plan look like?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Today I am focusing on abs and cardio. I've already done 50 abs moves and 10 mins of jumping rope. feeling great:) What are you doing today?

If you want to focus on abs, drop some of the cardio and concentrate on resistance or weight training. Both are better for fat loss as compared to cardio. Too much cardio and you make it harder to get abs as you are more prone to muscle loss. Additionally abs are made in the kitchen and overall body fat loss is what is required to see abs. While its important to work the abs - more importantly the entire core- it is also critical to maintain as much muscle as possible. It is not uncommon that women who are on the lower end of an acceptable weight will not see abs and in fact will require them to go through several bulk phases to add muscle in order to achieve that goal. This is why i suggested not even such a lofty weight loss goal because realistically you could possibly have a much better body at 110 or 115 than you would at 98 lb due to more muscle.

Google nerdfitness and staci... she is a perfect example of weighing more and having a smaller body.