Birth Control -weight gain

iciicola
iciicola Posts: 1
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
alot of females can probably relate to this so i need some help. im on birth control but of course im trying to loose weight. my birth control pills make me want to eat a whole lot of extra food and gain weight. so what is the best thing to do??

Replies

• Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Good Question, Im switching fom Depo to Mirena and Im worried about gaining.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Switch and hope for the best, hehe.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Good Question, Im switching fom Depo to Mirena and Im worried about gaining.

Be careful when switching......that's how I got pregnant with twins!
  • Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Im on a generic one, and i have no problems.
    However i should warn you about seasonique.. Alot of people have said it causes weight gain, depression, and oddly, hairloss.
    Thats how i ended up gaining
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    It's the estrogen in the pills that add the weight. If you are not already on a low dose, you could possibly switch to a lower dose pill. Honestly, I took the pill for 12 years. This is my second weight loss adventure. The first time I was on the pill (not low dose), and this time I am birth control free. The first time was easier for me to lose weight than now. There's more factors involved of course, but I don't believe the pill is truely that much of a crutch. Anti depressants and prednisone are way worse weight gain offenders. I would suggest anytime you are hungry eat fruit or veggies. Don't starve yourself. You'll feed yourself skinny :0)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    However i should warn you about seasonique.. Alot of people have said it causes weight gain, depression, and oddly, hairloss.

I'm on Seasonique and have yet to hear of anyone having any sort of problems. The biggest concern I've heard about Seasonique is pregnancy scares since most people use their period as a check to make sure they aren't...and well once every 91 days won't help you with that. I love Seasonique, I have had way less issues with my period than ever before - less back pain, nausea, bloating, etc...and my hair is still shiny and full of volume!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    I started birth control about 9 months ago. A really important thing is learning to eat filling foods (fiber, fiber, fiber and protein, protein, protein!). Also, make sure to drink TONS of water. This also can keep you from getting constipated.

For me, I just had to get used to the hunger, and find something else to do when I had nothing to do but eat. Make sure to get yourself on a set schedule as you eat. Eat 5 or 6 small meals a day.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    My sister is an ob/gyn and says that most birth control today contains such a low dose of estrogen that you shouldn't be feeling more hungry than before. I think sometimes it's psychosomatic. Just my .02, but Nuvaring is the best!!
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126

that's the one that makes you have only four periods a year. that's not natural...
  • MFPfriend

that's the one that makes you have only four periods a year. that's not natural...

Actually, your body only needs a period every 4 months. Any longer is bad, though.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member

Actually, your body only needs a period every 4 months. Any longer is bad, though.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    I am currently taking the pill continuously (no periods ever!!:)) and before that I was on depo & never had a period. Medically you do not need to have a period, ever.
  • MFPfriend
    I am currently taking the pill continuously (no periods ever!!:)) and before that I was on depo & never had a period. Medically you do not need to have a period, ever.

Yes, medically, you don't.

I just meant that (like someone posted before) it's important to be able to tell if you are pregnant or not.
This discussion has been closed.