Suggestions for the use of a Fitbit One

Options
I've ordered a Fitbit One and it should arrive next week.Do you have any suggestions for a new user?

Replies

• mokotutza
    mokotutza Posts: 20
    Options
    nobody.....?
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It has a lot of good features but I use it primarily to track my steps... like to make sure I do 15,000 a day, and to track my sleep habits. Its very good.. the only thing I don't think is really accurate is the stair counter.
  • mokotutza
    mokotutza Posts: 20
    Options
    It has a lot of good features but I use it primarily to track my steps... like to make sure I do 15,000 a day, and to track my sleep habits. Its very good.. the only thing I don't think is really accurate is the stair counter.

Wow! 15000 are a lot of steps!how do you do it?
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I'm sure the stair counter is not accurate in your experience. However, in my experience, it's extremely accurate. I recently climbed from the lobby (second floor) of a building to the 21st floor. The lobby of the building is quite high and probably should count as two floors. After I had climbed to the 21st floor, I looked at my Fitbit. My Fitbit One showed I had climbed 20 floors. That's exactly right.
  • loriband
    loriband Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I also have the fitbit one... The stair counter measures by elevation. I work at the school and am on and off the bus a lot with my student and when I get on the bus it measures it as floors climbed, the same thing happens when I am driving and go up inclines as well as walking hills. I really like it tho and it challenges me to beat previous numbers . I just usually ignore the steps reading .
  • Ericsawicki
    Ericsawicki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My wife and i have the fitbit one and it is a nice motivator for us, besides it is good friendly competition. It kind of keeps us going, especially when we are close to our goals. It also tracks how long you sit on your butt, and I don't like seeing that number too high.
  • Ericsawicki
    Ericsawicki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    oh, and my parents have the one and bought the scale. they returned the scale because it wouldn't sync at all.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    We have zips and we love 'em. We use them to track our activity and gauge calories burned. I was able to get 15k steps the other with 4 30 minute dog walks spaced out through out the day and a trip to costco.

Each dog walk was about 2300 steps..I'm kinda proud of myself
  • loriband
    loriband Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oops ... I ignore the stairs/floors reading on days I am on/off bus a lot... Not steps.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me the Fitbit One for Christmas (hoping I wouldn't use after a few weeks so he could use) and it hasn't left my side! I bought him one for Valentines day. We love them! It works GREAT with MFP. Just make sure you set it all up correctly before you start. Get your step measurements as close as possible so it's accurate. We've found the stairs feature may not always be right because my husband gets credit each time he gets in and out of his truck but it goes by incline. It's a challenge to try to increase that number each day. I like the One better than the new Flex they are coming out with because you can watch your activity throughout the day and push yourself if you see you're behind. On the Flex, you have to log in to check numbers and if it doesn't sync with your phone, you have to wait to be around a computer.

I also was one that wasn't eating right and the site has a meter that shows you if you're in the zone or if you need to eat more or workout more for the amount you've eaten. I really like this feature because it helps me to remember to eat between meals and "stay in the zone". Have fun with your new Fitbit!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I like mine. One thing I did is I labeled my day to day activity level as sedentary. That way, the fitbit is measuring how much walking around the office I'm ACTUALLY doing versus me trying to guess about how active I am.

Big warning though: MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR CLOTHES BEFORE PUTTING THEM IN THE WASHING MACHINE. My first FitBit went one round with the spin cycle and, while it said I was incredibly active that day, it didn't work again. Sometimes, you can try "first aid" by putting it in a bag of rice and hoping the rice may draw out the moisture, but I haven't seen that work very well.
  • longin2bsexy
    longin2bsexy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How does it figure what "the zone" is for you? Right now I am using the TDEE -20% so I was curious to see if it follows a similar formula.

Thanks!
  • 04ward
    Options
    How does it figure what "the zone" is for you? Right now I am using the TDEE -20% so I was curious to see if it follows a similar formula.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how it works but I have it set to eat a 750 deficit and it tracks my intake of calories vs calories burned and the meter will tell me "You need to eat x# cal" or "You need to burn x# more cal" (for the amount of food eaten). I try to keep it in the "You're in the ZONE" GREEN! I get busy and forget to eat and used to go all day and hardly eat at all. Now I know I need to concentrate on eating 6 smaller meals a day to keep the metabolism going and this is just kind of a quick reminder to look at for me where I stand at certain points throughout the day.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy a Fitbit?
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy a Fitbit?

I got mine at Target. :smile:
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit... It actually has helped me see that I was not eating enough. I upped my calories to match the calories that Fitbit said I was burning (leaving a 300 cal deficit) and now I am feeling much better and still loosing weight.

The best thing you can do with a fitbit is wear it! :tongue:
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can purchase at www.fitbit.com, or at a Verizon store, Best Buy, many places :-)
  • DaisyDi65
    DaisyDi65 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One. It is a good motivator to see how many steps or stairs you use daily. I've been at 9500 and made a point to hit 10k. There is also a "reward"system. You can earn badges for steps and stairs...just a fun cheesy motivator.
    Mine isn't synching today with MFP, not sure why, but it is bumming me out!
  • 04ward
    Options
    I think they are doing an update or something because it's the fitbit site won't work at all on my phone today. I guess they'll get it going eventually!