has anyone here done insanity?

Options
i'm about 100 lbs overweight, and am completely out of shape. i would LOVE a program to kick start weight loss and getting in shape. will the insanity program be too much for my body at my size and current level of activity?

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hey, first off, good for you for taking the initiative!

And secondly, no it won't be, you will do it at your own pace at first anyway. He doesn't expect you to keep up. I did the first month about a year ago, and nearly passed out from the fitness test. You know your body, just take it as far as you comfortably can, and then push yourself a little bit each time.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy it, I did!
  • AprilBurns86
    Options
    The great thing about Insanity is that you can kind of go at your own pace, as it's more about doing a move for x amount of time rather than trying to keep up with their reps. I am also about 100 pounds overweight, and I LOVE Insanity! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I am currently in Month 2 of insanity. I have roughly 100 pounds to lose. I will not sugar coat it... it is frucking tough. If you go at your own pace you will be fine. Just don't try to keep up with the people on the video..

Edited to fix the filter
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm certifiably insane.

You'll be fine. I'm in the same situation and one month into Insanity. Follow the diet, follow the macros, and the pounds and inches will slide off you if you put in the intense work.

Mind your knees though. Its jump squat and burpee heavy.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing Insanity, I had about ~70 pounds to lose.

I'm not going to lie, it is super tough. There's a ton of jumping, and with someone carrying excess weight, it will take a toll on the knees. Whenever my knees felt achy, I just modified the moves for less impact.

However I completed the whole thing - by the end of the first month I was able to keep up with the people in the video. Month 2 is a whole different story. It's longer and definitely more challenging than month 1.

But it's totally worth it. I can't even begin to tell you how much better my endurance became, I lost 21 pounds during the program and a lot of inches. And when I did my final fit test, I thought I must have counted wrong during the moves!!

My recommendation is to go at your own pace. Even the people in the video take breaks. There's a reason it's called Insanity.
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4 of Insanity, and I won't lie, it's pretty intense, I have about 25 pounds left till my goal weight and I can't do it as hard and as fast as Shawn T does. Matter of fact, some of the people working out with him have to stop. I think it will be a great kick start for you and as long as you pace yourself, you will be fine!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's really hard, but I love it. And you can & should go at your own pace like others mentioned.
    I'm about halfway through & already planning on doing another round. :)
  • riley76051
    Options
    You can DEFINITELY do it!! Make a calendar and put those big red 'X's on it for every day. It's hard at first, believe me, but they'll show you modifications and also what counts is not the quantity that you manage, but the quality. It's tough. But weight loss is a tough thing. Please take the challenge!

And i'd love to hear of your progress if you feel like adding me :)
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm doing insanity right now (starting week 3) and need to lose about 80-90 lbs! I would suggest trying some of the 30 day shred before you start insanity. I did cycles 1and 2 combined with some cardio before staring and I feel it was really beneficial. The 30 DS videos are available for free on YouTube. Insanity is very intense, but yu can stop and take breaks. It is knee intensive, but I've modified a few moves when my knees are healing and it's still one heck of a burn! I really love Insanity and Shaun T is very motivational. I missed a day once and I felt lie I was letting him down! That's a great trainer! Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've completed Insanity and P90X and yes...you can do it. Just do what you can....don't think you'll do like them...NO ONE DOES!!!! at least for the first month....It's very intense. You will melt like butter in the sahara but...you'll get better each day.

It will raise your cardio and your flexibility too.

Good Luck ;)
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said just pace yourself, modify the workouts and do not quit. I am a generally healthy weight but I modify workouts for my "Tapouut XT" workouts that hurt my knee. Blessings for your health journey.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do it, but as everyone says go at your own pace but no mistake push yourself past what your mind thinks you can do because you can do more. I've completed two rounds of Insanity and currently completed.Asylum. I am now in the Insanity/Asylum hybrid and let me tell you Insanity never gets easier because if you push yourself to your limit you'll always feel the burn. I loved every sweat induced moment though, I wouldn't trade that feeling ever!!
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm starting week number 2 of Insanity today. The first week went great, looking forward to the second. You can do it! Just go at your own pace and don't give up.