I have Plantar Faciitis and can hardly walk...

Options
I just started using My Fitness Pal this week and definately realized I am way over eating. I am 47 female and weigh 172. I have Plantar Faciitis in my left heel and it is severe. I can hardly walk at times and I definately need to loose weight. I can see how this program will work as you realize just how much you are really eating. But just wondering if there is anyone out there that has this foot problem too and how are they going about exercising since it hurts so bad.

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis problems and still do in the mornings upon waking. God forbid there was ever a emergancies and I had to run to my children outta bed, I would have to crawl! But with proper stretches I have eliminated the pain the the rest of the day. I am n my feet all day for work and run, bike or swim at least5 days a week. Check into stretches you can do and see how tha helps. Have you spoken with a physical therapist about theses issues?
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had it. My sister had it. My sister had surgery, it came back.
    I got a tennis ball, put it on the floor, and rolled it against the arch of my foot.
    This stretches out the ligament, so it does not pull on the bone and cause or irritate the bone spur.
    Sometimes I feel it coming back, so I just stretch the arch and prevent the return.

If it really kills, a foot doctor will give you a cortizone shot. Magic!\
    but still stretch out that ligament or it will come back.
    Sometimes arch supports work. Do not delay, you have to walk!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Standard treatment in the UK is calf stretches and arch supports. This got rid of my complaints.

The stretch I used: Place a cutting board or other small plank of wood on the edge of a thick book (or anything else about two inches thick). Stand on this so that your toes are raised for a few minutes a couple of times a day.
  • koalaella
    koalaella Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have Plantar Facititis as well. It stopped me from exercising it hurt so bad. Water exercises, bicycling and weights are good until it heals. You can have orthotics made for your shoes that will take care of the problem. I have to wear them while on the eliptical and treadmill or my feet will flare up again. Good Luck!
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had PF for a long time. It started around 2002 and would get so bad that I could barely walk. Once day I actually collapsed on the beach trying to walk to our umbrella thru the dry sand. It's painful and anyone who has never experienced it just cannot relate.

My doctor taught me some stretching exercises and I lost weight. I also strengthened the muscles in my feet and ankles. That helped tremendously and I haven't had any problems in about 5 years.

I've gained that weight back but the PF has not come back... thankfully. Now that I'm losing it again, I'm running and walking on the treadmill with no problems.

I would also suggest getting a custom fit on your running/walking shoes. A great pair of shoes can make all the difference. See if you can find a local company that sells running apparel. ****s sporting goods salespeople won't cut it. We found this great shop in a nearby town called Bucks County Running Company in Doylestown. (I'm in PA). When my husband and I decided to start training for our first 3K, we went there and they custom fit our shoes to our feet. The measured arches, etc. Best thing is that they didn't cost any more than going to ****s or another sporting good company. Mine were $100 and they fit like a glove.

Talk to your doctor, google PF exercises and get started doing that and as the pounds come off, the pain should start to subside some. I'm hoping that this helps you. I know how painful this can be to live with.

I'm adding you as a friend in case I can help... Hugs!!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have it severely in both feet, worse in my right. I wear night splints, I use Foot Rubz (like a tennis ball but with hundreds of nubs to massage my feet), I stretch like crazy, and I filled a small water bottle and froze it and I use that to roll out/ice my feet. I had it before and got $350 custom built orthotics and $180 MBT shoes and I don't think either of those things helped as much as the other stuff I'm doing now. It still took about 2 years to get completely over it last time, and I'm only about 5 months into the flare up this time so I figure I have a ways to go.
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha... it censored my post because I said d - i - c - k's. Sorry MFP, that's just the name of the store just like Modell's... Yikes. ROFL
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I had it. I wore the brace to bed and changed my footwear habits. No flipflops, no barefoot at all. I wear Keen hikers most of the time but have found a few off the shelf tennis shoes that have enough heel not to aggravate it. NB has a style or two and so does Nike. Just cannot wear anything that lowers the heel. I also woudl stretch before getting up in order not to aggravate it. I worry everyday that it might flare up now that I am walking and exercising so much but no sign of its return. Losing some weight has surely helped too.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My sister has it. She finally resorted to the foot doctor. He gave her inserts for her shoes and told her to NEVER walk without shoes on her feet...even getting up at night to go to the restroom! Finally, he resorted to a cortisone shot and it is much better. She is still wearing her inserts and will for the next 6 months, but it is so much better. Good luck..sounds like a doctor visit is in order. As for exercising, try strength training and a stationery bike....no wear and tear on the feet. Best wishes....
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i have it in both feet, woke up every morning limping, i bought these sneakers called Orthaheel and they seem to have helped. :wink:
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I had it really bad about a year ago and in the Spring through Summer I started bike riding 4-5 days a week and the stretching of pedaling must have took care of it because it's gone. It's the only thing I did different so I believe that's what took care of it.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have it in my right foot. I wear orthotics for plantar faciitis and flat feet. I went to a foot doctor. I try to walk every day and occasionally ride my bicycle. If I walk without shoes it hurts and also upon waking in morning. :smile:
  • boilerbabe69
    Options
    I thought for the longest time that is what was going on with my right heel. Come to find out I had torn my achilles tendon. I would suggest making sure it is really Plantar Fasciitis. Keep a golf ball on the night stand and before you put your weight on the foot roll the golf ball from the ball of the foot to the heel. It will help to relax the muscles in the arch of the foot and get you walking with less pain in the mornings.
  • kd1575a
    kd1575a Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also had/have this. Though I'm not in the middle of a 'flare' right now, some days it just plain hurts to walk! What's really worked for me are stretches (I roll my foot on a canned good and flex and massage my calves as frequently as possible), icing, and SHOES. I have inserts that I put in all my shoes (I use Powerstep, but there are a ton of different ones out there), never walk barefoot (I use Orthaheel thong sandals for the house) and wear Birkenstock shoes whenever I can. It takes time, a lot of pain, and a considerable amount of money, I found, to make the PF bearable. I hope you find something that works for you! I've also read that losing weight really helps with PF :)
  • doctorcaligari
    Options
    I suffered from this for a long time. A couple of years ago, I got a Futuro foot brace that you wear while you sleep. It took about three months, but the plantar fascitis went away, and I've been pain free ever since. It's costs about $30, which is cheaper than a Drs. co-pay. They should be around the pharmacy section (I got mine at Target) or you can google "futuro plantar fasciitis sleep support".
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had that problem It would flare up it i walked for exercise two days in a row. I was told to invest in a good pair of insoles for my shoes, I work on concrete the insoles has helped so much. I wore them out though and in a pinch had to get a new pair and got
    doctor scholls about a $16. pair and they are doing fine for now. I have them in my 608 new balance shoes.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I had it. I wore the brace to bed and changed my footwear habits. No flipflops, no barefoot at all. I wear Keen hikers most of the time but have found a few off the shelf tennis shoes that have enough heel not to aggravate it. NB has a style or two and so does Nike. Just cannot wear anything that lowers the heel. I also woudl stretch before getting up in order not to aggravate it. I worry everyday that it might flare up now that I am walking and exercising so much but no sign of its return. Losing some weight has surely helped too.

I did the same. No barefootin' at all! I had PF for 6 months-- pure hell. I got this hideous pair of Skechers shape-ups to wear all the time I was not at work. I am convinced they cured my PF, or else allowed it to go away pretty quickly. (I read online it takes 24 months to go away!) I tried the stretches and the nighttime boot and a thing to roll my foot on with ice inside. I swear by the Shape-ups. They push up into the arch and are very cushion-y.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You are right that with that kink of pain it would be impossible to excercise. I have been treated for it twice, first time dr gave a cortisone shot and prescribed custom orthotics. That worked for several years, but it returned with a vengence. The second time was worse. I saw a physical therapist for about 12 weeks, got another shot and new orthotics! It finally healed and 2 years later, I am still doing the stretches every morning without fail. If I skip them I can feel my foot starting to hurt a little.
    P.S. My doctor also suggested wearing Birkenstocks in the house and never going barefoot. The Biikies were kind of hard to get used to, but now I could not go without them. They are the best thing I could have done for my feet.
  • strflt
    strflt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had to change shoes. I wore sneakers my entire life until PF entered my life. I had to buy Dansko clogs. I hate the look of them and the soles are *hard*, which made the adjustment difficult. I could barely walk, so it took a month of walking in them before I was doing so pain-free. I see a lot of folks wearing them, though, nurses and other professionals on their feet all day, so they are well thought of for feet.

Around the house though, because I live in a condo, the clogs are not an option. They're too noisy. Instead I wear Crocs. They have a surprising amount of arch support for such a soft shoe. I can't wear them every day though.

I avoid impact sports (running) and swim at the local pool now. It's good exercise if you know how.

I've been living with this going on four years now and while I can be without pain for most of the day, if I ever go barefoot, or walk too long, it starts up again. As long as I listen to my feet and don't ignore them, I do fine.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I had it a few years ago, and that's when I discovered water aerobics. The weightlessness in the water was heavenly. To fix it I did stretches I got from a physical therapist. My neighbor had surgery for it last fall and had problems ever since (just got another surgery to fix problems from the first surgery!)