Aztec Diet

Options
BJPCraig
BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
I've heard a good deal about the Paleo Diet, but my wife & I don't eat meat, so we could never follow that. However, my wife came across a reference the other day to the Aztec Diet, which seems similar but like it might be easier to do without meat. I tried looking for info online, but there's not much out there; just info on the book (which I can eventually get from my local library system).

Has anyone read the book? What are your thoughts? I'll probably wind up reading it eventually anyway, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Besides, there seem to have been knock-down, drag-out fights on these boards over every other diet out there, so why not this one...

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I've not heard about it, but it seems to be based around a 'superfood'.

I am always weary of these types of things, because the 'superfood' in question is always very expensive to purchase.

All I'll say is that if you decide to do it make sure it is a lifestyle you can follow forever rather than a diet that will just give you temporary results.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    It's the Chia Seed diet, right?

Sounds like yet another way to separate fools from their money. You and your wife can devise your own healthy plan, with or without Chia seeds. You don't have to buy the book or the supplements.

If weight loss is your concern, get a healthy mix of Carbs, Fats, Protein. Stay under the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight.

Ta Da. I take credit cards.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Oh, wait, you already lost 79 pounds! Great job. You don't need any advice!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Meh.

I don't do Mexican.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The Aztecs viewed chocolate as ambrosia. If this diet endorses boundless intake of chocolate, I'm in.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    The Aztecs viewed chocolate as ambrosia. If this diet endorses boundless intake of chocolate, I'm in.

This. Anyway diets are not the "why" of weight loss, they are the " how". As long as you are in a deficit, you are good
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    Congratulations! Diets are not for everyone but I still Paleo is better than Aztec for most people. Not everyone is as strong as you guys are, not eating meat. :)

Good job on your weight loss.
  • mtbardell2013
    Options
    Chia seeds are amazing! Definitely worth it. Plus, they are not that expensive if you take into account all the benefits. I put a tablespoon in some green tea with a bit of honey - amazing pre-workout energy or quick breakfast. I think the book that people are mentioning is not worth the money. I skimmed through it in Target and it is lots of success stories, an almost god-like reverence for the chia seed, and lots of recipes which I'm sure you could find on Pinterest. Nice cover though!

Anyway, chia seeds are an amazing food, so give'em a try!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it personally. But if it is about eating Chia Seeds - you can add these into your diet without centering an entire way of eating around them. I try to eat them in some form a few times a week. They are great for keeping you feeling full for awhile and are packed with nutrients.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    the word "diet" should just make you close that web page and throw your computer out the window
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing this to yourselves? Just eat the foods that you enjoy eating, get proper nutrition, log it here or somewhere, and stop looking for books to teach you how to do something unnecessarily "special."
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I've heard a good deal about the Paleo Diet, but my wife & I don't eat meat, so we could never follow that. However, my wife came across a reference the other day to the Aztec Diet, which seems similar but like it might be easier to do without meat. I tried looking for info online, but there's not much out there; just info on the book (which I can eventually get from my local library system).

Has anyone read the book? What are your thoughts? I'll probably wind up reading it eventually anyway, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Besides, there seem to have been knock-down, drag-out fights on these boards over every other diet out there, so why not this one...

unless you have a reliable source for still-beating hearts and human sacrifices, i think you're going to have trouble sticking with this diet plan.

tumblr_m9l080xGn71ru57p7.gif
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options

unless you have a reliable source for still-beating hearts and human sacrifices, i think you're going to have trouble sticking with this diet plan.

If we are talking about still beating hearts and human sacrifice AND CHOCOLATE! I need this diet at least once a month for about a week.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

If we are talking about still beating hearts and human sacrifice AND CHOCOLATE! I need this diet at least once a month for about a week.

i still don't see this diet catching on...