I cannot intake enough calories while keeping low carb

Options
It feels like I would have to eat all day to get to 1800 calories. I am at around 1200 calories a day right now and working out 5 days a week. I can feel the low energy level too. I am trying to keep my carbs down and it seems like that really keeps my calories low. I have been noticing food items high in calories and low in carbs have a big fat content with usually at 80% of the calories from fat which I guess makes sense. Its just tough. I wonder if I can keep doing what I a doing now, deal with the energy level and still lose weight.

Replies

• karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Probably not. When you switch to low carb you have to make sure you're compensating with protein and healthy fats. Chicken sauted in extra virgin olive oil is a great way to get both protein and calories. I'm relatively low carb and I feel horrid if I don't get enough protein. Plus, the low energy isn't going to make going to the gym any easier or more fun. The whole idea of changing how we eat and becoming active is so we can feel good, right? You should feel good along the way-not just at the end.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not always equal fat. Get your carbs from fruits, veg& whole grains. If these are your carb sources there's not really a need to keep it low. I am eating 1600 with 200+g of carbs and doing great.
  • bubingadrummer
    Options
    Exactly, I think I will try that for dinner tonight. I will cook my chicken breast in olive oil. What veggies or sides are relatively good to have on a usual basis with dinner?
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Steamed: broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, carrots.... something else.. LOL im blanking
  • karenhray7
    Options
    Carbs do not always equal fat. Get your carbs from fruits, veg& whole grains. If these are your carb sources there's not really a need to keep it low. I am eating 1600 with 200+g of carbs and doing great.

But not all of us do well with carbohydrates from whole grain, and fruit can cause problems if we eat too much at any given time. If you can enjoy whole grains and fruit with abandon and still lose easily, I say do it. But not all of us can.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    If you're going to do low carb, you have to realize that fat is not the enemy. You can't up your calories from protein too high, so you've got to up your fat intake. Natty peanut butter, bacon, olive oil, butter, etc. I LOVE roasted asparagus, which requires some olive oil as well. Have a dark greens salad with full-fat dressing. Put some melted butter and low-carb cheese on that broccoli. Also, don't stick with low fat proteins. Unless, for some reason, you love chicken breast, skip it and try chicken thigh. So much more flavorful and juicy!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You're going to end up being another low carb cautionary tale if you don't properly construct and fully understand this diet.

Buy the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Volek and Phinney. It's only about $8.95, and it will guarantee that you're successful.

Best of luck.
  • karenhray7
    Options
    Exactly, I think I will try that for dinner tonight. I will cook my chicken breast in olive oil. What veggies or sides are relatively good to have on a usual basis with dinner?

Broccoli is great, asparagus, green beans, brussel sprouts. And to get the calories, I usually cook them quick on the stove with olive oil and some fresh garlic. Throw some slivered almonds on top and I'm a happy camper.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    if you go low carb, you'll need to increase your protein and healthy fat intake.
    I ate 115g carbs the other day and was over 3000 cals. Usually I can hit 2000 cals and stay under 100g carbs
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Cheat the system! PROTEIN SHAKES WITH FAT FREE MILK!
  • bubingadrummer
    Options
    Doany of you guys and girls have some sort of meal plan ideas to reach that calorie mark?
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My diary is totally open, and on days I run, I eat nearly 1800 calories, with my net carbs under 25. Feel free to take a look. :)
    Any recipes you want, PM me and I'll send em on over.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Try cooking in coconut oil. Better for you than other oils & will actually help fill you up while keeping you healthy.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    dangerxbadger
    Joined Nov 2012
    My diary is totally open, and on days I run, I eat nearly 1800 calories, with my net carbs under 25. Feel free to take a look. :)

I wanted to see your day of 25 carbs with 1800 calories but your diary is no longer open.......
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options

Your diary is not open.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But WHY are you trying to keep carbs low?

Carbs are not evil. The provide quick easy energy and calories, which is what you seem to be lacking.
  • Thedij
    Thedij Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just read this from "The Mayo Clinic Diet":
    "Recent studies confirm that the most important factor in weight change is total calories, not where they come from."
    I spent the last 6 weeks doing Atkins, which sounds similar to what you're doing. I lost weight alright, but my cholesterol and blood pressure went up and my kidneys are "not happy". I'm now adding back the fruit and whole grains in moderation & reducing the eggs & cheese. Best to have a balanced and sensible diet than going to extremes and sacrificing your health. All the best meeting your goals - just take care of yourself!
  • MatressGiant
    Options
    Just read this from "The Mayo Clinic Diet":
    "Recent studies confirm that the most important factor in weight change is total calories, not where they come from."
    I spent the last 6 weeks doing Atkins, which sounds similar to what you're doing. I lost weight alright, but my cholesterol and blood pressure went up and my kidneys are "not happy". I'm now adding back the fruit and whole grains in moderation & reducing the eggs & cheese. Best to have a balanced and sensible diet than going to extremes and sacrificing your health. All the best meeting your goals - just take care of yourself!

I'd stay away from completely low carb diets. If you want to keep your carb levels lower (like 30% or something) then do as you please, but your diet should be something you could live with and eat for the rest of your life. I'd recommend eatting 30-40% carbs, but make them almost completely complex carbs, or from a piece of fruit as a snack, etc.

If you're dead set on a low carb diet, try cooking with coconut oil or lard. Things like stir fry, stew, chili, etc. can be made lower carb while still containing lots of calories from fats and proteins. Also, protein shakes with whole milk.

Good luck.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    You're going to end up being another low carb cautionary tale if you don't properly construct and fully understand this diet.

Buy the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Volek and Phinney. It's only about $8.95, and it will guarantee that you're successful.

Best of luck.

QFT.