Oh you boys...

Options
Mu hubby started doing MFP with me. It has been awesome to talk and plan meals together. We even encourage one another to exercise.

But does he have to lose weight so much faster than me?? I have so much more to lose.

In reality, I am so excited for him. While he isn't too overweight, his family has a horrible heart history. So many of the males on his Dad's side (who he favors so strongly) have died young. I kind of like him and hope to keep him around a while ;)

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been doing this since Jan 12, I have lost 111 pounds and she has lost 51 pounds, while i have lost much more she did not have as much to lose and like you said it is so much easier to do with you both doing it, recipes and meals can be copied. makes it very nice. Good luck to you both
  • debege
    debege Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It helps that he understands just how big of a deal this is. Congrats and keep up the good work!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting your husband involved!
    I tend to think that the key to success is adopting a sustainable lifestyle. Overzealous enthusiasm can quickly turn to lethargy and apathy, particularly when idealized results do not materialize when one expects them. THis seems to be a lesson that your husband needs to learn.
    Wishing you both the very best.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • debege
    Options
    Thanks Ben. We have never tried even one fad diet. We both agree that being healthy long term is much more important than dieting and keeping weight off short term. When his parents asked him why he was eating healthier, he got them interested in MFP. He is really hoping he can get his Dad involved. Sadly, I would be the one of us who would have unrealistic expectations, but I am tired of being so proactive in every other aspect of my life other than this one.

Congrats on your weight loss so far Ben. Keep up the good work.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Best wishes for you both! Just go at your own pace...you are individuals and your bodies dispurse nutrients differently.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is pretty common that men lose weight faster and easier than women. Nothing you can do but accept it.
    It certainly doesn't mean you won't get there too. It just might take you longer.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Ug it drives me bonkers. So not fair lol. My hubby recently lost 20 pounds without even trying :grumble: and the 2 times I've lost weight while we've been together (both times from pregnancy gains) I have had to bust my butt and watch my diet like crazy. We've never done it together though, I think that kind of support would be nice :).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yup, my wife agrees with you.

In fact, in her words, "*I* exercise and *he* loses weight."

:flowerforyou:
  • debege
    Options
    Thanks guys!

It reminds me of that commercial where the guys pants fall off and the girl barely loses any weight at all.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The good news for women is that you look much leaner at a higher body fat %. My wife looks pretty ripped at 19-20% and I have to get all the way down to 14-15% to look just as lean.

:grumble: :laugh:
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Yup, my wife agrees with you.

In fact, in her words, "*I* exercise and *he* loses weight."

:flowerforyou:

I've said the same thing about my husband. In half the amount of time it's taken me to lose 7lbs, he's lost 11 - just by changing his diet (read also: cutting back on beer).
  • Cara75
    Cara75 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh... my hubby is the EXACT same way!!! I m working out like crazy, cutting EVERYTHING, drinking water till i was fearful i would drown. The other day he was teasing me... he said "wow honey, all your dieting and exersizing is paying off, Look how well my jeans fit now" ... SERIOUSLY, his old TIGHT TIGHT jeans are bloody BAGGY!!! I could kick him!!! lol.
  • debege
    Options
    Haha. At least I am not the only one. The only time I was smaller than my husband was when we first started dating. He was one of those super small guys that got tall and filled out after high school was over. Unfortunately, I just filled out in all the wrong ways after high school.