depressed and discouraged

Options
i started Jillian michaels 6 week 6 pack religiously and im on day 4 week 1. im sore as heck in my abs legs and arms probably cause im using a 10 pound weight to do the knee crunches. im depressed cause im gaining weight. ive gained 3 pounds and i know it cant be muscle. side note im also sunburned (yes i know its winter but not here in florida).

Replies

• Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have not used her program but it sounds like you are sore because you are building muscle. Abs are musclres, biceps and triceps muscles etc. You may want to work in some cardio. Strength training will build muscle which you will apppreciate in the long run. I am from Jacksonville too. Add me and keep me updated on your results. Blessings.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    * Side note. I do the Tapout XT workouts and I gained 9 pounds the first week but I felt strong (muscle).
  • debege
    debege Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling discouraged. Maybe for these few weeks you should avoid focusing on the scale and be proud of your sore muscles that you earned. Maybe it is muscle. Maybe your clothes will fit better. If not, at least you haven't given up and are still pushing yourself. That's something to be proud of.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Saw a board a couple days ago that may explain the gain. Hope it helps. I always expect a gain the first week of any new plan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-<span class=
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    any new exercise you do that causes sore muscles will make the scale either stay still or rise. Is a cruel fact but your body retains water to help those aore muscles, so it's best to ignore the scale for a while till your used to the exercise. Keep going though. You can do this!
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Well done for sticking with the program! Whenever i start any new exercise routine that my body isn't used to, i tend to get sore, which means my muscles are full of fluid as they are inflamed and being repaired. I always gain a couple pounds. But guess what? Stick with it and the weight comes off and then some. And my fitness has improved too. Keep it up and don't be discouraged by a number on the scale. You're doing your body good!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    A scale is not a good weight loss tool..in my opinion.
    I use a tape measure.
  • pinkcloudrising
    Options
    Stick with it! Don't quit now or you will have to start over at some point. You will lose the 4 weeks of exercising that you have under your belt. Maybe change your workout routine a bit so that you aren't so sore. I know for me, when I am in physical pain, it increases my appetite because I want to be soothed and comforted. I am careful when I am hurting physically to be vigilant against overeating.

It is a month now and being sore still kind of sounds like you might be over-exerting yourself. I would think you would be in a more comfortable place with your exercise routine at this point. If you are working with a trainer or going to a gym perhaps you can ask them if your exercise regime is too stressful for your body.

Last but not least, what are you eating? If you are still eating the same amount of calories or have increased your caloric intake, then your weight very well may increase.

Just some thoughts...stay with it. And stay willing.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    any new exercise you do that causes sore muscles will make the scale either stay still or rise. Is a cruel fact but your body retains water to help those aore muscles, so it's best to ignore the scale for a while till your used to the exercise. Keep going though. You can do this!

^ This is probably it. 4 days in and eating at a deficit there is no way the weight gain is muscle growth. It's normal to pack on a couple pounds when you first start a new, strenuous activity. That will subside in time. Keep it up! :flowerforyou: