IT Band Issues

Options
Anyone in here have issues with their IT band? If so what do you find helps ease the pain?

I have a few stretches that i do and do go to have myofascial release done. Im just finding if i am on my feet too in behind my knee gets very tight and it hurts to straighten my knee.

Replies

• fighttheurge39
    Options
    bump
  • meltinsteel
    Options
    I have to use a foam roller after I work out, on my hips and thighs. I also know my arch support is getting bad in my shoes when the pain worsens. Get some good arch supports, it will take the stress off your IT, by stabilizing your knees.
  • fighttheurge39
    Options
    I have to use a foam roller after I work out, on my hips and thighs. I also know my arch support is getting bad in my shoes when the pain worsens. Get some good arch supports, it will take the stress off your IT, by stabilizing your knees.

Thanks :) I do have custom orthotics but ive had them for 2 years..maybe time to get new ones?
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was having issues with my IT band as well and I noticed that I was bending over a little to far. Make sure you are upright while running. This can cause major issues.
  • fighttheurge39
    Options
    I was having issues with my IT band as well and I noticed that I was bending over a little to far. Make sure you are upright while running. This can cause major issues.

Thats the thing..i dont run. it really acts up if i just walk to long or if i havent stretched but i have never been completely pain free since December.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Go with the foam roller as your first step. It definitely helps.
  • laurenlac
    Options
    For me the foam roller and stretching are a big part of reliveing IT band pain. I use this yoga stretching routine: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/yoga-everyday-routine
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I had it, so bad that I limped for a couple months. I always do a dynamic warm up before running and use my foam roller and stretch after working out .. without fail. Even a short workout. The foam roller works wonders, I can't live without it - I use a marathon stick when I travel. Also strength training helps, squat in a mirror making sure your knees do not start to track inward.

I do these moves and then a dynamic warm up.

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/move-those-hips

My Silly Walks Warm Up:
    high skips
    butt kicks
    leg kicks - kick forward then back
    walking lunges
    walking piriformis stretch
    cariocas
    side skips

I do each one about 8-10 reps then jog in between.

Also I used a patt strap it was a life saver!

http://pattstrap.com/pattstrap-counter-force-knee-strap-p-28.html

If the pain is directly behind your knee it might not be ITB. My pain went from the outer hip to the outer knee.
  • fighttheurge39
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Im going to get a foam roller today! :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

My wife had issues, and she swears by the foam roller. I think you roll on it outside of each leg. It should, and will, be quite uncomfortable at first. But you get used to it.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I actually was sent for physical therapy for mine. My PT had me do 5 minutes on a spin bike at a modest speed, lifting weight with my legs for up to 40 reps, front and side stretches and she'd stretch it out for me when I was done. After PT, they'd ice it for 10 minutes. It actually didn't feel much different after 8 weeks of therapy, it just eventually started to feel better. It's very tight in the morning, but loosens up as I move around.