CrossFit and going Paleo

Options
Hi Guys,

This month, is my last month in the gym. I have been doing some introduction courses for CrossFit near me, and really enjoyed it. I cancelled my gym membership, and start CrossFit properly next month.

As I was looking on my CrossFit club's website, I noticed that they eat a Paleo diet, and most others recommend this, too.

Is there anyone here who has tried/eats Paleo? What did you/do you think of it?

I have started cutting out grains gradually this month, because I was planning to try and start Paleo, when I start CrossFit, for 30 days, and see how I get on.

My usual diet is:
Protein Oats
Tuna Salad
Chicken Stir Fry w/ Noodles
Protein Shake x1.5 (.5 before workout and 1 after)

Obviously on Paleo I would need to cut out the Oats and Noodles, but the one thing I was concerned about, is cutting out my protein shakes. I know they are not Paleo, but I was wondering, out of the people who do Paleo, who drinks or doesn't drink protein shakes.

Personally, I feel protein shakes have helped me gain more muscle, although I am not sure if this is because it generally has upped my protein, or if it is true, that they help recover muscles quicker... So what I am wondering is, if I cut out my protein shakes, am I more likely to have less muscle recovery? Or would eating enough protein in real food be just as sufficient? I heard shakes are absorbed quicker, therefore they are the best recovery.

Any advice, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

This month, is my last month in the gym. I have been doing some introduction courses for CrossFit near me, and really enjoyed it. I cancelled my gym membership, and start CrossFit properly next month.

As I was looking on my CrossFit club's website, I noticed that they eat a Paleo diet, and most others recommend this, too.

Is there anyone here who has tried/eats Paleo? What did you/do you think of it?

I have started cutting out grains gradually this month, because I was planning to try and start Paleo, when I start CrossFit, for 30 days, and see how I get on.

My usual diet is:
    Protein Oats
    Tuna Salad
    Chicken Stir Fry w/ Noodles
    Protein Shake x1.5 (.5 before workout and 1 after)

Obviously on Paleo I would need to cut out the Oats and Noodles, but the one thing I was concerned about, is cutting out my protein shakes. I know they are not Paleo, but I was wondering, out of the people who do Paleo, who drinks or doesn't drink protein shakes.

Personally, I feel protein shakes have helped me gain more muscle, although I am not sure if this is because it generally has upped my protein, or if it is true, that they help recover muscles quicker... So what I am wondering is, if I cut out my protein shakes, am I more likely to have less muscle recovery? Or would eating enough protein in real food be just as sufficient? I heard shakes are absorbed quicker, therefore they are the best recovery.

Any advice, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

the shakes don't actually matter, it's the nutrients you're getting from the shakes, and you can absolutely get them from other sources. but what about your shake isn't paleo? just that it's processed? you'll find differing levels of commitment to an "authentic" paleo diet where you literally eat ONLY what hunter gatherers ate - or a "primal" diet which is a bit more lenient (potatoes, butter, etc)

Check out my diary the last couple weeks for ideas (I recently just switched to Paleo) - I may not be taking in quite as much protein as you, but it's easily doable since all you're eating is meat, poultry, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds. Lots of protein to be had. :)

Check out www.marksdailyapple.com for really great info about getting started.
  • Nix_89
    Nix_89 Posts: 2
    Options
    It has milk in it, so dairy. I like having one before I workout, because I find I can't eat food before I workout, even something as small as a banana, because I feel sick, and I haven't found that with the protein shakes. Also, they do kill my sweet craving a little :)

I just read up on the primal thing, so thanks for mentioning that, sounds a bit easier to adjust to. I also read about the 80% rule. Try to eat great 80% of the time, so maybe I can allow myself the protein shake as my 20%. Just only have the one, rather than the 2 scoops a day! I think cutting out my grains is going to help me get up on my protein anyway, as I'll be consuming more meat, nuts, and seeds etc.

Yeah, I think my protein is set a little higher. I read on the site you suggested, that without working out, I should be consuming 80g of carbs, so I've set my percentages on my diary to meet that. Then MFP can adjust it when I enter my workouts.

Thanks for replying :)
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    I have. It's definitely what I would recommend for something as strenuous as crossfit or any other extreme sports. It's going to really help you recover faster which I think is the most ideal part of it all. And secondly, if you're looking to lose some weight, the low carbs part will be good for you as well.

If you want to know more about it, I can help you out with my experience with the paleo diet.
  • scottal07
    scottal07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can also look at different protein powders. There are ones that are made from egg proteins that would be more in line with the paleo eating. I am just finishing a Whole30 (if you are looking into paleo I reccommend reading "It starts with food" or " the primal blueprint". Both are excellent resources. The Whole30 is extremely restrictive for 30 days but then you slowly reintroduce foods one at a time to see how your body reacts to them. I plan on doing more of the primal diet once my whole30 is over just because I need a little wiggle room in my way of eating.
  • tantinah
    tantinah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of us here doing the Whole30 - like a detox off of sugar/processed foods into Paleo. Here is some info about it http://whole9life.com/start/

I am on day 10 and it has been a lot easier than I thought. I love having even energy levels all day.