Lifting!

Options
Okay, y'all have convinced me I need to lift
Problems:
The biggest weight I have in my house is 15 pounds. (I'm assuming those aren't the types of weights you're referring to...) I don't have a gym membership, for lack of cash right now. (I'll get one, shhhh.) But anyway. What are the best types of weights for beginners? Where can you buy them? How do you lift?
Basically, tell me everything please. D:

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Problems:
    The biggest weight I have in my house is 15 pounds. (I'm assuming those aren't the types of weights you're referring to...) I don't have a gym membership, for lack of cash right now. (I'll get one, shhhh.) But anyway. What are the best types of weights for beginners? Where can you buy them? How do you lift?

I recently started 'lifting heavy'. I recommend stronglifts 5x5 as it's simple, doesn't take a lot of time, they're all compound lifts which work lotsa lotsa muscles at once; 30 minutes 3 times a week and your body will start to change in a way that feels and looks very good.

Keep your eyes on craigslist for a weight bench with plates. It's March now. New Years' resolutioners who are going to give up probably have. They might even start feeling mocked by their equipment, as they start their car in the morning, from the corner of the garage, there's a sort of menacing glint off the chrome and I can tell that it's saying "You've FAILED Burt! You'll always be a failure!! Your mother dressed you up in those clothes because she knew Burt!!"

With love,
    Burt
  • sondrawolfe
    sondrawolfe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Check YouTube for some suitcase workouts. Weights don't have to be expensive, just heavy. ;) There are also some good workout videos. Check out 5x5 lifting videos.

I really just started lifting so not the one to give you specifics, but good luck. It's addicting. :)
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Problems:

If you don't have the room for a squat rack, here are some cool alternatives:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Problems:

I recently started 'lifting heavy'. I recommend stronglifts 5x5 as it's simple, doesn't take a lot of time, they're all compound lifts which work lotsa lotsa muscles at once; 30 minutes 3 times a week and your body will start to change in a way that feels and looks very good.

Keep your eyes on craigslist for a weight bench with plates. It's March now. New Years' resolutioners who are going to give up probably have. They might even start feeling mocked by their equipment, as they start their car in the morning, from the corner of the garage, there's a sort of menacing glint off the chrome and I can tell that it's saying "You've FAILED Burt! You'll always be a failure!! Your mother dressed you up in those clothes because she knew Burt!!"

With love,
    Burt

:laugh:

i agree with the guy who needs a hug. check craigs list.

if you have space to store the equipment yourself, then why even get a gym membership.

look for a bench, an olympic barbell, some weight plates, a squat rack (or power rack better yet) and collars for the barbell.

in the meantime you can use stuff at home to start learning movements and getting the form correct. a weighted backpack or back can be helpful in learning deadlifts, squats, overhead press and bent rows
  • sondrawolfe
    sondrawolfe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the room for a squat rack, here are some cool alternatives:
    http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem

There are some good ideas there. I may have to get some sand.
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Problems:

With love,
    Burt
    :laugh: It became so much funnier when I realized your name was Burt!
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Problems:
    Make weights out of milk jugs filled with sand or water. Do you have old duffle bags or purses? Can you put sand in baggies and load them in the duffle bag or purses (zipped up) to add additional weight?

Use bricks or big rocks to lift with.