Why did I do it?

Options
I spent the weekend working in a concession stand. I was on my feet for three days and walked a lot. The first day and a half I was very good but I have completely ruined it today.

I have lost 52 lbs by sticking to 1500/day. Today I had 2589 which is theist ice had since I started this diet. I am do worried that I am slipping back to my old ways. I don't want to stop losing. I have about 50 lbs to go.

Why did I splurge much??? Help with motivation to get back on track.

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Most important thing regarding a binge - what you do next. If you let one slipup turn into another, then into a week of bad eating - that will screw up your progress. One splurge won't. Just get back to it tomorrow.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You have one 'bad' day.

Tomorrow's a new start.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    cause you're human. now pick yourself up. dust yourself off. and carry on.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    When your body is losing weight for a long period of time it's not unusual for it to have hunger spikes. You may also feel the urge to eat WAY more than usual if you have a big meal, it's like telling your body "hey, the fast is over, better stock up on calories now in case another famine hits."

While I was losing weight I did have several 3000 calorie days in between. I didn't feel full on those days, either. I DID feel bloated and kind of full around the midsection for a while, though. Binges knock out a few days of deficits but are not a problem, as long as you still want to lose weight. Of course the best thing is to eat nutritious food and avoid going to extremes. Always buffer those high calorie days with better choices tomorrow.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    it is simply one day. A binge every once in a while is actually good for the metabolism. It keeps your body guessing and satisfies your craving hop back on track. I know I schedule a binge day once a month and before I fell off the wagon I' d lost about 80lbs.(and no my cheat day once a month had nothing to do with me falling off)
    just chin up, remember you progress so far and your goal. Good luck and feel free to friend me if you need it.
    -Kimmy
  • kddarrow
    kddarrow Posts: 24
    Options
    Don't let one bad day get you discouraged. It sounds like you've been pretty dedicated so far, so 1 day shouldn't hurt. Just get back to business as usual tomorrow & forget about it. I was feeling the same way about myself today - I'm 17 lbs into my 50 lb weight loss goal & then I go overboard and just eat whatever. BUT, I'm just gonna get up tomorrow & get back on track. I just have to remind myself of what I want the end results to be - sometimes I go on the success story threads to see different transformations & remind myself that it is totally possible!!
  • dgljones
    dgljones Posts: 89
    Options
    Eat 1300 tomorrow and the next day, 1400 the day after and then back to your 1500. That way for the week you just splurged 500 or so cals, which will probably have little effect.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If you were on your feet and hustling around for three days you probably burned a lot more than the 1,000 calories you went over your usual goal. I don't think there's anything here to flog yourself over, unless you're into that.
    With love,
    Burt
  • averylopez
    averylopez Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Losing weight, keeping it off and getting your health back in order is a marathon........not a sprint. As long as you look at tomorrow as being a new day you will be just fine!!
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Try not to feel too guilty about it. Guilt can quickly become disappointment, and that can lead to feeling defeated; which in turn can lead to 'what's the point, I screwed up so badly, I can't do this might as well have another soda/chip/pie etc.'

Just say 'oh well, I'll do better tomorrow. I'll cook up a bunch of veges and good stuff for dinner and walk/jog/work out for a little longer.' Reaffirm your goals and maybe pull out an old photo to remind yourself how far you've come already.

Don't get upset! You should be pleased with yourself for recognizing it was a slip up and not wanting it to happen again. :flowerforyou:
  • susieq19
    susieq19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the support. I think that my biggest fear is "falling off the wagon." But you are right it is just one day. I have found when I gave up in the past it was more of a loss of "care" about my weight. I do still care. I am planning to be very strict for the next few days to make up for my weekend. Thanks again, all!!
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We didn't get ourselves in this situation in just one day, it was a lifestyle. You've changed your lifestyle now so one 'off' day isn't going to ruin you. Keep at it!!!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time letting things go. Doing something to mark my restarts helps me, like getting out of the house at a time when I might normally want to snack, so that I have a really good day to get restarted.