Returning to running

I ran cross-country and track in high school. I loved it... for some reason that I can't seem to remember. I hated the competitions, but loved the workouts. I was never very fast, but I the longer the run, the more I liked it. I don't recall weather ever stopping me from running, unless the road was icy.

I have since stopped running and put on a lot of weight. I want to enjoy running again, but I don't know how anymore. It's always too cold, too hot, or too windy. Even if the weather is pleasant, I still find it difficult to enjoy for some reason or another. If I'm being honest with myself, I think I hate running because I've grown fat and out of shape and still compare myself to my high school self. It's sort of a self-defeating way to look at it, I know.

However, I really do want to start running for the cardiovascular benefits, calorie burning benefits, and most of all to rediscover whatever it was that I loved about it when I was younger (that makes me sound old. I'm 23). So, runners, what advice would you give someone who wants to like running, but currently hates it?

Replies

• YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Good question.
  • Strouzo
    Strouzo Posts: 6 Member
    I just started running again about a week ago and it's really hard! I'm averaging 8:47 a Km. My Grandma walks faster than that! I never really liked running before but now I'm starting to. My life is pretty stressful lately,so after a hard day at work I can't wait to tie my sneakers. So that's what worked for me. Changing the way I think about running to more stress relief than exercise. Good Luck!
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    I have since stopped running and put on a lot of weight. I want to enjoy running again, but I don't know how anymore. It's always too cold, too hot, or too windy. Even if the weather is pleasant, I still find it difficult to enjoy for some reason or another. If I'm being honest with myself, I think I hate running because I've grown fat and out of shape and still compare myself to my high school self. It's sort of a self-defeating way to look at it, I know.

Hey! Have you tried running already and cannot enjoy it? If you haven't then start!!! It might be hard at first but it gets better as your body gains stamina and your runs get easier!! Also, it is only when you run long enough or hard enough that you get endorphins released and feel good aka runners' high! Try it for a week and see if it gets better! But if you're still finding it dreadful and hence hindering your weight loss or making you feel bad about yourself, then switch to other forms of cardio!!! There are lots: swimming, sprinting, zumba/dance classes, spinning, pilates/yoga, biking etc!!! All these allow you to reap those fat burning and cardio benefits!!!
    I'd say though that it seems like running now just reminds you of how much you've 'deteriorated' from your prime of being in shape and confident ): Exercising is supposed to help release stress and make you stronger and feel better!! So if running is just making you feel bad, I'd say stay away from it and focus on losing fat and/or gaining muscle through other forms of cardio and more importantly eating well and strength training!! Once you've become leaner and feeling more confident, then you could try running again and see if you enjoy it like you used to!
    But it might also just be a change in preferences, you might just not like running anymore! It is just like many things in life, your preferences change for absolutely no reason! No need to beat yourself up over it!!
    And remember, wallowing in the past ain't gonna get you nowhere! (And trust me, I've wallowed plenty and things only got worse and harder to fix ): ) Stay positive and focus on your goals! Inspire yourself by reading the SUCCESS STORIES section! Search the forums for efficient ways to lose fat slowly and stay healthy and get stronger and fitter! Focus on improving yourself NOW, and not wanting to go back to what you were! Things will get better :) Patience is also key!
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Thank you. That is very encouraging! You ask if I've "tried running." Well, that depends on your definition. I've gotten outside and started running, but can only go for about 10-15 minutes and turn back. I only did this three times within the past couple of months. I haven't tried it for a week straight like you suggest. I think I just might do that, even if I can't go longer than 10 minutes. After a week, if running still sucks, I think I might just stick to my circuit training routine (which is also no fun, but it's short) and try walking instead. I don't think it's a change in preferences; I still stop to check out the running shoes when I go to the store, and seeing photos of people running makes me want to run too. I'm signed up for a 5K in 2 weeks. I signed up for it in January, thinking, "Oh, by then I'll be loving running again." I'm still excited about it, even though I know I'll won't be able to do run the whole thing. I'm tempted to sign up for the next 5K in my area, which is in May. I am still in love with the idea of running.

Thanks for the suggestions of other forms of cardio, but I'm afraid I'd be stuck to the elliptical or recumbent bike. It's far too cold for swimming right now, and zumba/dance classes aren't for me. I didn't know that pilates or yoga had cardio in them. I might try those.
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Do you mean 10-15 minutes of actual running? 10-15 minutes is great for someone who isn't in shape to run. Actually, it might be too much. Pushing too hard, too soon can result in injuries and burn-out. I'd suggest alternating easy running and walking to build up your endurance. If you're not already familiar with it, check out Couch to 5k (C25K).

If weather is an issue (even just in your own mind) start on a treadmill. You can still build up your endurance, which will make it easier to get outside and run later.
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    I was in your exact same situation last year. Former runner who really loved it. Every time I tried to get back into it I would either get discouraged that I was so slow and out of shape or I'd get injured. Last spring I started Couch to 5K and I made myself follow it step by step even though I thought that as a former runner it was too easy. The thing is....our bodies don't care that we used to run....all our bodies know is that we can't do it the same way right out of the gate. I now LOVE going out for a run and am so proud that I can. Am I as fast as I was in high school? No way, but I can easily go out and run 4-5 miles and I think that's pretty awesome. I say find a training program that slowly builds up your distance and you'll find that you enjoy it again. It's free therapy for me
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Thank you, RunReadEat and megedoug! I have heard of C25K, but it's hard for me to do unless I keep constantly checking the stopwatch on my phone and remember exactly what times I'm supposed to walk or run or carry an egg timer with me to set and reset. Neither one of those is very practical. I know there's an app, but I don't have a device that is capable of running an app. Just my basic cell phone and 4 gig mp3 player. I suppose I could just run .5 mile, walk .25 mile, repeat, etc. and work my way up to running all the way through. It's almost the same basic idea, except it would be for distance rather than time.
  • capnjax72
    capnjax72 Posts: 12 Member
    there is a podcast of the couch to 5k program and i think you can convert it to a mp3.