PLEASE clarify for me!! Im so upset!!

Options
I have woken up throughout the night and was hungry. I had a bowl of special k cereal. I was told that I shouldnt be snacking throughout the night as I have to watch the times I eat. As far as I know its about calorie intake throughout the day and I will count the cereal that I just ate at 2am. Is it really that bad to eat at 2am when I wake up hungry?? I figure cereal or fruit is better to snack on at least then an unhealthy snack. Please help and let me know if it really is that bad to eat when I wake up hungry. Thanks :)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What time you eat doesn't matter, but you might want to eat more during the day if you can't make it through the night without waking up to eat.
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly what I thought. There are soo many people who dont eat their calories back from a work out and I find the more I workout the more hungry I am and I tried to reduce the amount I ate back. Still working on whats best for me I guess. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it :)
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    What I did was set my daily calories at the minimum I should eat to lose weight (sendentary lifestyle and no exercise) and then I earn and eat the additional cals from my exercise. That way if I have a lazy day I should stay on track and when I'm good, I get rewarded with lots more to eat. I find it very motivating.

PS: I agree, its what you eat, not when you eat it
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    Yep! What/How much. Dont worry about the when. People just say you shouldnt eat at night because people have usually eaten their days worth of cals during the day, (and then more at night) but if you didnt, dont worry about it. :)
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try eating cottage cheese before bed. :)
  • Mokosh
    Mokosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think cereals are not good late night snack, just because it's carbs so it can actually make it harder for you to sleep (energy rush). In my experience best thing to have when you're hungry at night is a large glass of warm milk, you can even put a teaspoon of honey in it, and that will make you sleep like a baby, guaranteed, plus, I read somewhere that drinking milk benefits weight loss.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter but I do find that if I eat late then I don't have a favorable weigh in the next day so tend not to eat late or snack late on the day before WI. But that is prolly due more to sodium retention or summat.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I think cereals are not good late night snack, just because it's carbs so it can actually make it harder for you to sleep (energy rush). In my experience best thing to have when you're hungry at night is a large glass of warm milk, you can even put a teaspoon of honey in it, and that will make you sleep like a baby, guaranteed, plus, I read somewhere that drinking milk benefits weight loss.

Eh?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'd also avoid cereals, but just because I'd be too lazy to pull out measuring cups or the scale, and those cereal portions are deceptive. That said, if you are accurate logging and it doesn't put you above calories, go for it. You'll just have to decide which day to log it under. :smile: And I agree that if you're a little hungry before bed, it's better to eat a snack then so you don't have to wake up in the middle of the night.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Each to their own, but the very idea of warm milk makes me queasy.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, but if you're waking up hungry your not eating enough during the day. And a good nights sleep is key to weight loss also. Definitely have a filling snack before bed. Try some yogurt, or even a smoothie.
  • jumpingsparrow
    Options
    Try eating lean protein before bed, like cottage cheese, canned tuna, or eggs.

http://straighthealth.com/pages/qna/foodbeforebed.html
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    What is probably the worst thing is not getting steady sleep and waking during the night. I know that throws me off completely. I agree with the others about having a small snack about an hour or so before bed. Interupted sleep is the worst for weight loss.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I work out at night and I find that I sleep harder than I would when I don't work out. Are you getting enough calories during the day? And I bet you're not hungry, but it has become a habit to get up and eat at 2 am.

Try fighting the urge and if you have to get up, drink 16 oz of water and wait 30 mins - you are probably not hungry at all.

Good luck!
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is a sleep disorder called Night Eating Syndrome (NES). You can find information on MD Junction. I have fought the disorder for over 9 years. I have finally given in to the fact that most nights I am going to wake up and eat something. I eat plenty during the day, so it has nothing to do with the amount of food I'm consumming. I try to make good choices when I wake during the night.

Good luck!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you are waking up from hunger, you are not eating enough nutrient dense foods during the time you are awake.

Hard to analyse further as your diary is not public.
  • escapeartist90210
    escapeartist90210 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A bow of cereal, c'mon now? That's no big deal, even if you overfill it and in a reasonable amount, most you could squeeze out in a bowl is 300 calories. You're fine, just don't make it a habit but it has not set you back in any way because we're talking nickles of dimes in the grand scheme of things.