Elliptical Trainer Calorie Burn?

Options
Alright so I'm sort of confused. I feel like both the machine itself and MFP are kinda off. I was on the elliptical trainer with a decently heavy resistance (I can't recall what level I had it on; I had it set on intervals) and went from a moderately fast rate to vigorous (sorta switched on and off) rate and the machine said I only burned about 110 calories for 30 min. MFP says I burn 300 for the same amount of time. I worked hard and really felt it, but I don't feel like I burned as little as 110, but 300 also seems steep.

Any ideas?

Replies

• loudgls89
    loudgls89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM when I'm on the elliptical, and when I have it on a medium level at a medium-fast pace, I burn around 300 calories in half an hour. I do weigh a lot more than you though, which I guess would also affect calorie burn.
  • Donya925
    Donya925 Posts: 6
    Options
    I know, I've had that same issue when logging any cardio exercise. Since MFP doesn't allow you to put in specific levels/settings for your cardio I don't think the calorie burn they provide is totally accurate. That's weird that the machine said you only burned 110 calories though. I would guess-timate you burned about 250..
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi
    This might help you

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm

It works stuff out based on weight etc and has lots of different exercises to put in. I found it works for me and that MFP tends to overestimate cals burned.