Do u do better with a tracking band of some type??

Options
Do you think you do better with some type of band that is tracking things during your day? For example a Nike Fuel, FitBit, etc.? Or do you think they are just a gimick?

Interested to know everyone's thoughts.

Replies

• hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Nope. I have a fitbit but I only got into it for a while. You can give it a whirl if you want to!.! Let me know. It was fun, but only went so far to motivate me, really.
  • Ericsawicki
    Ericsawicki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my wife and I have fitbit and we really enjoy it. it is a nice sort of friendly competition. the down side is that it syncs to my fitness pal and sneaks in "exercise" when you didn't do it on purpose. other than that, we really like ours.
  • teddybooman
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes. Got a Garmin 410. HIGHLY recommend it. If you like to compete agaainst your best, it really works!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My BodyBuggSP does spur me to get up and move more outside of my formal exercise. It's motivational for me to see how early in the day I can get to the point where my calories burned plus calories projected to be burned (if I just sat there and stared for the rest of the day" equals my daily calories burned goal.
  • Joanneea
    Joanneea Posts: 37
    Options
    I bought my daughter and I a fitbit one a month ago. I find it a good motivator I don;t worry to record my workouts, since it is synced with MFP and if I forget to wear it I can add it into the settings on fitbit.

Plus I like seeing my work activity. I do a lot of walking at work and I like how it shows the active times in different colours as well. I do a few different shifts* and some talk about some shifts being easier than others, but I can now see it isn't true!

As well my daughter and I are friends on fitbit and it a good motivator for her to keep in front of me and for me to try to get ahead of her! lol

I definitely have become more active since buying it.
  • ravitek
    ravitek Posts: 15
    Options
    I've got a Nike FuelBand which allows me to compete with a few coworkers, my roommate, and a few Facebook friends.
    Since I've had it, I've made a greater effort into being active, not only with just working out, but with cleaning the apartment, washing the car, walking to work or school, etc., just to gain more Nike Fuel.
    It also doubles as a pretty cool looking watch. I wish it had the capability to auto-sync the calories with MFP but I'm sure it'll be implemented down the road.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    my wife and I have fitbit and we really enjoy it. it is a nice sort of friendly competition. the down side is that it syncs to my fitness pal and sneaks in "exercise" when you didn't do it on purpose. other than that, we really like ours.

You don't have to have MFP and Fitbit linked so you are able to unlink them and use them separately if you don't like this function :)
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Having my BodyMedia Fit Link has allowed me to very easily know when I need to move more. I had grown incredibly lazy over the years and gained weight as a result. I like working out to burn calories, but I also like to see what I'm burning at work or just taking the dog for a walk. That way i know for sure whether I can eat more and how much. I would never have guessed how much I burn washing dishes and putting up clean clothes.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about getting a fitbit. I was wondering if the online database is free or if there is a charge. It seems like the slimcoach thing they use on Biggest Loser is a paid subscription. I was wondering if they are all like that.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about getting a fitbit. I was wondering if the online database is free or if there is a charge. It seems like the slimcoach thing they use on Biggest Loser is a paid subscription. I was wondering if they are all like that.

It's free. I think there is a paid upgrade but I don't know what it includes. The free part allows you to track your calories, steps, distance, flights of stairs, and sleep along with exercise, food and weight. You can also see a graph of how active you were throughout the day and how well you slept.

I LOVE mine.
  • tabathar
    tabathar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just bought a BodyMediaFIT Link. I have only had it a few days but I am really liking it. I feel more motivated to get up and move because I can see how active or lazy I have been.
  • camcd831
    camcd831 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had the Bodymedia Fit for awhile and I really like it. It encourages me to move more to get up to or over certain numbers.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    *bump