question about green tea

Options
What is the basis for thinking that green tea "attacks" body fat? If this were even slightly true I should a body fat % of zero.
I drink 100 cups of green tea every 2 weeks and have done so for years. My body fat % is over 30.

Replies

• wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I believe the technical term for it is "wishful thinking."
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    keep drinking it if you like the stuff, but don't expect any magic tricks.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea because I like it. Until I joined MFP I had never heard that green tea reduces body fat.
    My question is, why do people think it reduces body fat?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea because I like it. Until I joined MFP I had never heard that green tea reduces body fat.

Probably because Dr Oz told them so. It is also possible that the caffeine in green tea slightly raises metabolism, however you would get the same effects from drinking coffee. I wouldn't count on this making enough different to increase fat loss.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Somewhere along the line, there was a study of some sort or another that suggested that it did. People like studies like that, things that will potentially make weight loss easier, so they clung to the idea. It is specifically the catechins that are supposed to be the hero.

Here is one such study, from a cursory glance at google: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15640470
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Probably because Dr Oz told them so. It is also possible that the caffeine in green tea slightly raises metabolism, however you would get the same effects from drinking coffee. I wouldn't count on this making enough different to increase fat loss.

Agreed.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i drink a gallon of green tea a day & have for years. i was told by a medical doctor that it will help in losing weight by increasing your metabolisim & it will build the immune system. according to him it is a benefit in many aspects. i mentioned just a few of the things he said about green tea. i brew my own & get it in different flavors. i don't even sweeten the flavored tea it is that good. you can believe it or not but that came out of my doctors mouth. i lost over 90 pounds after starting the tea, which i could not do until i started drinking it. it came off slow but steading & since i joined mfp in june i have lost 57 more pounds.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds after I started drinking unsweetened tea!!!

Possibly because I used it to replace soda and also started eating better and exercising more. Possibly because of magic. Hard to say.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've heard somethings that say drinking warm green tea first thing in the morning helps to increase your metabolism. Adding raw honey and fresh lemon juice is supposed to help with your immune system as well. I think (only my opinion/observation) the difference with green tea and coffee is that most people don't drink black coffee, they add creamers and sugars that up the calories. On the other hand most people i know hate warm tea, of course I'm in GA land of iced cold sweet tea.........
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds after I started drinking unsweetened tea!!!

Possibly because I used it to replace soda and also started eating better and exercising more. Possibly because of magic. Hard to say.

lol i'd like to believe it was the magic.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think green tea is more touted as a healthy drink rather than a miracle fat blaster without changing other aspects of your diet.
    There are many benefits to drinking green tea like the antioxidants, and it tastes good after eating oily foods because it 'cleanses' your palette! I believe there are healthy benefits that come with drinking green tea but weight loss wise it is really about your calorie deficit (and may or may not have to do with macros too)
    That said, if green tea replaces soda/juices as your beverage of choice then that's definitely aiding too!
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    lol i'd like to believe it was the magic.

:flowerforyou: i know it is the tea because i slacked off of it for 2 weeks & did not lose a bit of weight. started back on & began to lose. that told me it works!
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Found this on Good Housekeeping website by coincidence...................

The slimming ingredient isn't caffeine. Antioxidants called catechins are what help speed metabolism and fat burning. In a recent Japanese study, 35 men who drank a bottle of oolong tea mixed with green tea catechins lost weight, boosted their metabolism, and had a significant drop in their body mass index. Health bonus: The participants also lowered their (bad) LDL cholesterol.

Read more: Healthy Foods to Lose Weight - Foods That Help You Lose Weight - Good Housekeeping