Need to increase my fat intake but don't eat nuts - help!

Options
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I can't seem to find any answers.

I am doing fairly well with my new routine, the weight loss is slow but then I only have 10 more lbs to lose so I guess this is to be expected.

I am 5' 5'', 142lbs and am currently eating 1,500 cals per day plus half of my exercise calories. This is in line with my TDEE so I think i am on the right track. My macro's are set to 45% carb, 25% fat and 30% protein. I nearly always hit these (usually over a little on carbs) but i find it so hard to hit my fat macro without indulging. I'd love to increase this by consuming more healthy fats but I really HATE nuts and advocado which I know are good sources of healthy fats.

Does anyone have any other suggestions apart from oils? Currently I don't cook with oil (due to the healthy eating) but maybe I should start using more olive oil when I cook?

I'd appreciate your suggestions. My diary is open if you want to take a lot.

Thanks! x

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    olive oil is fine to use for cooking. butter also.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you like fish, you could get some healthy fat from the fattier variety of fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, and sardines to name a few.)
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The whole idea of 'good' and 'bad' or unhealthy fat is overrated/out-dated/complete nonsense!
    Hummus (Houmous, Humus?) is about as healthy as it gets and has plenty of fat in it from olive oil. Egg yolks are great for fat and protein and also have lots of vitamins in them believe it or not. Cheese is good too. Hope this helps.
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I do love cheese so maybe I should introduce it back into my diet without thinking of it as 'bad'. I will also stop worrying about cooking with oil or adding butter to my jacket potato. Hopefully this will all help. Thanks!
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Avocado would be a good healthy fat option...IMO.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ahhh...missed the line that said you don't like avocado....so that's out, sorry lol

But cheese and olive oil (or coconut oil yumm) are great choices too.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Quit using fat free yogurts and cheeses to start with. Fat doesn't make you fat so there's no reason to buy the synthetic fat free diet foods.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    olive oil is fine to use for cooking. butter also.

In addition to olive oil and butter, I like to use sesame seed oil - it adds a nice flavor to stir fried veggies.

OP - you need to get over the idea that "fat is bad" and reintroduce fats into your diet. It's fine to avoid trans fats and saturated fats, but you shouldn't avoid all fats.

Use full fat products like yogurt and cheese - the low fat versions often have extra calories, sugar, and sodium anyway (to make them taste better).

Also, here's a little info (it's WebMD - not the greatest source, but has good info about why your body needs fats):

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/good-fats-bad-fats
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you are eating nuts from a package, I can understand why you don't like them... But taking fresh unsalted nuts and toasting them yourself... So yummy! I pretty much can't eat my yogurt or oatmeal without them. Almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios...

What are your feelings towards say fresh cashew butter on toast with a bit of jam and a hot cup of coffee?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Steak
    Whole milk (full fat dairy)
    Eggs
    Avocado
    I'm trying really hard to not say something about the title of this post
    Fish
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Eat some houmous!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Full-fat Fage Greek yogurt
    Avocado
    Sunflower seeds
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I cook with coconut oil. I easily meet my fat requirements that way.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil is my fat of choice. I cook almost everything in it, and I use it to make dressings for salads and sandwiches.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have found that as long as I keep a little bit of olive oil in my diet, or the nuts (which I know you don't like) it makes a HUGE difference!

I will take my fresh veggies and toss them in about 1-2 tbs of olive oil, fresh garlic and a little cracked pepper, broil or grill them for about 5-7 minutes and it is amazing! It adds the (haha) "good" fat, and the flavor that it brings out in the veggies is simply amazing!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    another thing you could try is adding a little more meat or beans to your diet... that will help with both fat and protein which are needed! Try lean meats, like chicken breasts or fish (tuna is a great source).
  • 74johnnyb
    Options
    cottage cheese. Or instead of cooking with oil, just add it directly to your food.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I've started cooking with coconut oil. It smells amazing and adds a delicious hint of coconut goodness to stir-fried veggies. It's supposedly more "stable" than olive oil at high temperatures since it has a higher smoking point. (Whatever that actually means...) Just make sure you get extra virgin. Also, have you tried hemp seeds? I sometimes sprinkle some on a salad.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil and peanut butter!

Also, broccoli sauteed in walnut oil is pretty heavenly.
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    another thing you could try is adding a little more meat or beans to your diet... that will help with both fat and protein which are needed! Try lean meats, like chicken breasts or fish (tuna is a great source).

Chicken, tuna and beans are all almost fat free. Quite confusing to recommend them as a fat source.

Something to remember with olive oil: it's about 120 calories per tablespoon! so if your are controlling your calories, don't go crazy with it. It's probably the most calorie dense food there is so if you do eat it make sure to measure it carefully.