Extremely Disappointed!

Options

Replies

• BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    15lbs in one month is great :smile: wish i could do that, i weigh myself weekly on the same day but i take my actual measurements monthly, i seem to be melting away inches more than losing the lbs, just keep at at, there are times i stand on the scale & have lost nothing which is disappointing but hey i stick with it i know i'll get to my goal it just takes time :smile:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    You have made a fantastic start and should be proud. Some weeks you might lose more than expected, and some less. Sometimes the scale seems to get stuck for a while even if you're doing everything right. Don't focus so much on the weekly loss, but more on building new, healthy lifelong habits. As they become ingrained, you've already succeeded, even when the final goal is a ways off. Every month, you can get more energy, increased strength, growing confidence, and a more positive outlook. You will get there. Enjoy the process.
  • aa62579
    aa62579 Posts: 57
    Options
    I think you need to actually forget about your first 14 lbs of weight loss that came off so quickly. That will not be your normal. It tends to happen on a lot of us when we first start out, but never again.

Instead, the 1lb loss for the week is what you should see as normal. Be proud of any loss at all. 1lb per week is a great goal. You'll get used to better eating habits, exercising more, and your skin should have a better chance of shrinking back up. And if you have a week where you do better than 1lb per week, all the more to celebrate.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Celebrate all milestones. A pound is a pound! The healthiest way to lose weight is over time, and it definitely does take time. Initially, weight tends to come off fast, and it does slow down over time. That's the way it has gone for most everyone I know in your same shoes. Also, weight can fluctuate. I may lose a pound and then a few days later, the scale reflects I'm up two. Your weight can vary by up to 5 pounds in a single day, especially when you factor in water weight. Do not get discouraged and keep at it. Your efforts will not be wasted.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success thus far. However, this is a marathon not a sprint. Patience and consistency are the keys to this long term. Your loss is going to slow dramatically. You just have to buckle down and keep going.

^This...

And you need to not look at this as a "Diet" you need to look at this as a Lifestyle. You can not reach your goal and "return" to the way you were, else you will regain all that you lost. This needs to be the start of the healthy lifestyle and the scale / measurements are just ways of seeing the benefit of your new life and if you are doing things correctly.

My suggestion to you is to stop looking at the Goal as an "ending" point and more as a "I have arrived" point. If you find yourself focusing on the numbers on a scale too much, stop weighing yourself.

Good Luck, and make sure to add in one healthy habit every 28 days and stick to them.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you go gain the 140 that you want to lose? Weight loss is a process. It should take you a little more than a year to take off the 125 pounds you have left, if you're losing at a healthy rate that is sustainable. This is about lifestyle change and part of that change has to be a regular exercise routine and healthy eating, but if you underconsume calories or over-exercise, it will eventually become counterproductive. 1-2 pounds on average a week is a heatlhy rate of loss. Some weeks you may lose 3-5 and some weeks you won't lose any. Short term goals with non-food rewards is a good way to break it down and feel successful. Stick with it and good luck to you!
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I set 5 lb goals. The whole thing can be daunting.

I reward myself when I lose the 5 lbs. Sometimes I reward myself when I stay on plan for a week. My rewards are new exercise socks, exercise bra, new underwear.

I also like to try on my old clothes to see that they are too big.

I also note exercise improvements. I'm getting back into jogging and I'm slow. I did a very slow 6 miles and I'm thrilled.

I also take a moment each day to pause and think that I like that I have my eating under control and for today, I ate well.

Hang in there.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Its a one day at a time commitment. I just commit for today. I try to stay in the now. Learning to mindful of my choices today, so that the rest of my life will be healthy.

If I looked at I only lost 26 lbs in the past 6 months and have to lose another 60, I would want to toss in the towel. That for me is very negative thinking.

Weight loss has been very slow for me and I console myself with I will NEVER have loss skin issues and I am learning to make good choices which for this old broad takes TIME.

Also I know I am doing the right thing because my body is stronger and doesn't HURT when I am active any more. And I have been learning to be more honest with myself and start measuring food (I sure was not being honest with my food on alot of stuff before). I have MFP friends who are successful on their journey and asking them how they do it (cuz my weight loss has slowed down from 5 lbs a month to round 3) has been an eye opener. They eat more and they weigh everything and are kind to themselves! Its an ongoing learning process.

This is a huge life change for me and I do not want to ever go back into my self negativity and physical pain I was at at my highest so one day at a time for me and originally I thought I would reach my goal weight in a year from when I started, not going to happen but its ok, I will be much closer and healthier In Sept. than I was last year and it will happen as I keep committing today.

Being healthy and mindful is a process and journey. Like the one person shared gotta keep hopping back on that wagon of being positive and making the right choices today, enjoying the process today.

Go get your hair done when you want to, reward yourself for being so fantastic today!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So you're more than 10% to your goal, in only one month. That's pretty frickin' amazing and you should be proud.

Progress will be slow, and it will probably get slower. But every step, every pound is going to get you closer to your goal. Plus, you're in this for the long haul. It's a way of life, like brushing your teeth. You don't brush your teeth for one month and think, "Oh, man... I have to keep this up for DECADES???" You just do it, because it's what you need to do to live the kind of life you want to live.

This!

Congrats on losing 15 lbs though, that is awesome!!!!!!
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just remember when you first get started the weight usually comes off easier than in the subsequent weeks. Also a pound is a pound. Do that 100 times and you will have lost 100 lbs!

Don't be discouraged! You are doing great!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    it sucks that your disappointed but remember this ain't a sprint.

This is it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I know it can be disappointing to only see small losses, but the number on the scale isn't the only sign of how your body is changing. Take your measurements and pay attention to how your clothes fit, as well.

Weight loss is a long process. The best thing you can do is get into a routine and settle in for a long ride. Eventually, it'll become second nature. Also, don't weigh yourself too often. I weigh once every 4-6 weeks. Seeing 1-2 lbs come off every week won't look like much, but a 6-10 lb difference between weigh-ins feels much more motivating. :)
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I did not put the weight on overnight and I shouldn't expect it to come off overnight! Remember....slow and steady wins the race. Don't let it get you defeated!! You can do this!
  • Freedom4me2013
    Options
    Stay away from the scale for a while. It's not a good judge of fitness. Check your body fat percentage instead. Take your measurements. 1 pound of fat is much larger than 1 pound of muscle - even if you lose the fat and gain the same amount in muscle - you will get smaller even though the scale won't show it.
  • ticklock
    ticklock Posts: 1
    Options
    One week I actually gained a pound-but my clothes were looser than the week before. I was disappointed too, but when I looked at my clothes-I realized that sometimes this is going to happen. Remember the overall picture and keep striving forward. I have also been told that a pound a week is the right amount to lose and is easier to keep off. I know it's hard to see that small number after the bigger ones, but a friend of mine concentrated on the 1 pound per week and just reached 100 pounds and she feels great!
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    15 lbs is AWESOME!! I've stopped rewarding myself for lbs lost and started rewarding myself for staying committed. Sometimes the scale is not rewarding (as you feel it wasn't this week with only a one pound loss--which is still great, but I know what you mean). True, healthy weight loss is slow, with ups and downs on the scale...SO, instead of feeling like a good week was all for nothing because of what the scale says--I ignore it and give myself kudos for sticking to it! Currently I am rewarding myself with small things for every two weeks of good eating/exercising...this past weekend I earned the right to spend a Victoria Secret gift card I was given for Christmas. In two weeks I will earn myself a nice pedi/manicure, etc...We eat well and exercise for SO many more reasons than our weight--I really feel like keeping my focus on the lifestyle instead of the scale will lead to long term results for myself--maybe something to try? Good luck--you are seriously rocking it right now--DO NOT QUIT!! :)

*edited to add that I also lost 1.6 lbs in the past two weeks which I am fairly certain was fat (not water or muscle) given my workout schedule and eating choices....been a long time since I've seen that scale move! ;)
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do you know how freaking amazing that kind of weight loss is in ONE month's time??? I would Kill that get that much off of me in 6 months time. Be PROUD of yourself and quit looking at the scale and measurements as often. It is just numbers. Look at how you feel and the progress you are making and dont look back. Keep going. Why give up??? It only hurts you.
    CONGRATS. Embrace what is ahead and know people are rooting for you!!!
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, for I too have a long way to go in my weight loss journey and I am about a month in. I lost six pounds right off; however the scale has been staying steady for the past two weeks.

What I have seen in results is small changes such as my jeans not fitting so tightly; I have a large scar down my abdomen that used to poof out around the edges, but now lays flat; my stomach is smaller, I can now do over fifty jumping jacks instead of the five when I first started and my energy level has doubled. Take note of the small changes and remember that you didn't get overweight overnight, so it will not come off overnight.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I didn't gain all this weight overnight, and I am not going to lose it overnight. And I look long-term. I know that if I continue to do the right things (eat right, exercise right), I will see the results. It may not be "fast enough" for my unrealistic expectations, but it will happen.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at the bigger picture. Seriously my ticker reflects my first goal, once I hit that I will change it to the next goal, it makes it a little less ominous.

I started with a goal of 5 pounds, than 10, than 15, than 20. I update my ticker every 5 pounds lost. it sounds silly but the smaller amount of weight my ticker shows the less discouraged I get and the more I stick to what I am doing.

I also set goals that are not weight related at all but fitness related - it makes this whole thing a little less daunting.