Cycling while obese

Options
I love cycling and purchased a Mongoose Tyax last year which hardly saw any use. Apart from the fact I love cycling, I spent £350 on the bike and want to get some use out of it. My problem is this - I can't cycle for to long on it as it becomes quite uncomfortable. I have cycled using larger and smaller saddles but just can't get comfortable.

Does anyone else have or had this problem and how did you solve it?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Do you wear padded pants ? That helps a lot.
  • mumnpets
    mumnpets Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi cameronburns1,
    My husband and i had the same problem with cycling being uncomfortable so we both got gel saddles, he found the wider saddles better.
  • cameronburns1982
    cameronburns1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been told about padded shorts before but have found it really difficult to find anywhere that sells them (bearing in mind that I live in the uk and if you want anything in a size bigger than xl, you need to go to specialty shops and pay through the nose for it). Will keep looking for somewhere that sells them though.

I tried gel saddles before without much luck but might give them a 2nd chance. Also tried wider saddles with no luck.
  • dross557
    dross557 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bike saddles can be uncomfortable at first but your body adapts to them over time. Find a saddle that supports your sits bones and keep riding. As you start logging miles your body will adapt and the saddle won't be uncomfortable. When I get on my bike for the first time after taking off 2 weeks during the offseason my saddle is super uncomfortable but I get used to it after a few rides.
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bike saddles can be uncomfortable at first but your body adapts to them over time. Find a saddle that supports your sits bones and keep riding. As you start logging miles your body will adapt and the saddle won't be uncomfortable. When I get on my bike for the first time after taking off 2 weeks during the offseason my saddle is super uncomfortable but I get used to it after a few rides.

Yup. I agree. It's sore for a while just stick with it.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I'm from an area with a ridiculous amount of snow every winter, so every spring I have to re-break-in my butt. I start out with short rides a couple times a week and build up. Eventually it won't hurt anymore.

Other thoughts:

Gel saddles can hurt/numb your happy parts once you start on longer rides.

Brooks saddles are an investment (both in $$ and in break in time) but they last practically forever and form to your anatomy. I love mine more than anything.

ETA: Gel saddles can be great for short distances; just know if you fall in love with cycling and start going further you'll have to replace it at some point.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    The guys at my local bike shop really helped me to get my saddle set up "just right" - they would make small changes - I would take it out, come back, and they would make more changes, tilt the saddle slightly, move it a bit forward or back - until it was a lot more comfortable on all my parts.....most probably took about 5 adjustments till it was perfect

And yes - gel saddle and padded pants also helps