bordom eating

Options
kmc979
kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
this entire weekend i suffered from bordom eating and i am feeling it. now, what i did eat wasn't entirely bad for me (aside from the microwave popcorn on saturday). i snacked on carrots, snap peas, freeze dried fruits, cheese sticks, yogurt. I didn't go over anything except sugar (which i always do because I put sugar in my coffee but i have greatly decreased how much i need 6-7 packets down to 2). I know i don't always eat the best but i do log everything i eat. also, i work 12 hours shifts (worked all weekend) do i don't always get a true dinner, it's just a hazard of hospital work.
so anyway, even though i snacked on no bad for me things, i am feeling down on myself. I drank water like it was going out of style but nothing would curb my appetite this weekend.

Replies

• witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble. I find that if I am tired and having eaten much during the day I will binge in the evening. Prepare your meal ahead of time so you just have to warm it up.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I didn't check you diary, but from your description you ate a lot of carbs (everthing), and just a tiny bit of protein (the cheese). Blood sugar crashes stimulate hunger in everyone, as your bodies way of trying to hit even. If you are feeling extra hungry... more cheese, nuts, (or meat)... less carbs.
    Or, if those aren't portable enough, try a protien shake in with what you are eating. (soy or whey isolate shakes are often very low carb. Just remember they are not meal replacement shakes. They taste OKish, help keep hungries away with the extra protien, but there is no way I could survive on shake alone.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i pack all my food for the day, breakfast lunch and snacks, and i bring no money so i can't buy anything. this all happened when i got home. i should be proud that i snacked on those things and not the donuts that were laying around. i guess i'm just frustrated because this is the first time this has happened in two months and it didn't help that i wasn't able to work out all weekend either.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You said that nothing could curb your appetite, and you were eating mostly healthy foods, so perhaps you were actually hungry? Some days are like that. I have a few really hungry days every month.

I think that it's great that you fed your body!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I work at a job where I literally cannot leave my office. I have to find someone to cover while I go to the bathroom unless no one is in the testing room. I only have what I can keep in my desk drawer or mini fridge but sometimes I do find myself eating all day long. Like you it's not terribly bad stuff, mostly veggies, fruit, and cheese sticks but I feel like I am eating all the time. I don't do so bad when I am home, just at work.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Everybody has extra hungry days. Next time that happens... eat a whole can of tuna (with mayo), or a pack of lunchmeat, or a double burger minus 1/2 the bun. Fat and carbs (like those donuts you didn't eat), well, you know. Fat and protien = sated. Going over cals once in a while won't effect your weight loss at all.

BTW.. make your own microwave popcorn with seeds and a paper bag (no more than 3 tbs of seeds or the pressure from the popping corn will tear holes in the bag, spraying popcorn seeds and hulls all over your microwave). Fold the top over a couple of times, nuke for 2:30, add butter (or coconut oil) if you wish, and you've got popcorn for much cheaper than buying the microwave kind. (popcorn it's self is low in calories and carbs for it's volume.. it's the 5 lbs of butter that'll kill ya).
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    thanks to the person who gave you advice about adding protein because what she said was true about carbs and not enough protein. I am going to definitely remember that next time I feel really hungry and want to have a snack attack. Good job on passing up the donuts for healthier foods. :smile:
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and to add too it I also eat while watching tv, I know I know HUGE no no, but I have done it since I was a kid so this dirty habit has been with me for what 22 years at least? I have to beat this though because now when I sit up late to watch something with hubby I feel I have to eat something.
  • DebLark52
    Options
    Great choices for snacking! I agree with one of the other posts about adding some nuts for extra protein. I keep a baggie with a "serving" (23) of almonds in it in my purse, in case too much time passes between meals and I'm away from home. I'll eat the nuts on my way home. I've found that doing this keeps me from over-eating when I get home, because I allowed myself to get too hungry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think you did great, personally. I have 2-3 days a month when I'm just starving and need to eat more.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    People might disagree with me, but I turn to All Bran bars and cheese when I get bored on shift. It fills me up and staves off the hunger.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    YES to everyone that said add more proteins!! A coworker of mine is a dietitian and she explained it to me by drawing a picture.

When you eat a carb, your energy and fullness spike high quickly and then crash. When you eat a protein, they go up slowly and gradually.

When you eat the two of them together, you get the spike from the carbs but the protein keeps you from crashing. You stay fuller longer.