30 Day Shred Level 2 - Um... what?

Options
After being "sedentary" for quite some time, I finally got my bum in gear and started the 30 Day Shred a few weeks ago. Level 1 was a little tough at first, but I could handle it. I did the modified version of the push-ups, but was able to keep up with the rest of the program. The 30DS fit nicely into my daily routine. I was feeling good about myself for doing this and for the first time in a long time, I felt something click. I actually thought I was in it for the long haul.

Then, this morning I started Level 2. I couldn't have felt more inadequate. I wanted to stop in my tracks and go back to bed. I persevered, but I felt so discouraged when I was doing it. There's nothing like the plank position to remind me of how truly weak my upper body is...

I need to know that this gets easier. I mean, I know it should get easier with practice, but I felt so ridiculous this morning. Please tell me that I am not alone in this...?

Replies

• RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes it will get easier, but don't get down just because level 2 seems to be so hard. If you don't feel like you are ready for level 2 yet don't move to it. The 10 days at level 1, 10 days at level 2, 10 days at level 3 should be used as a guide. Just as you said you needed to do the modified push-ups in level 1, then maybe set your goal that you will redo the 10 days of level 1 again but work to not do the modified push-ups and if you can do that then move to level 2. Or just do another 5 days at level 1 and then move to level 2. The most important thing to consider is that you are doing something. Don't put any pressure on yourself that you need to progress at the same rate the video recomends as everyone starts at a different level. You have choosen an excellent program to do and you will see results. I have known people that have completely skipped level 1 doing 15 days of level 2 and 15 days of level 3 and I know people that did 20 days of level 1 and 10 days of level 2 and all see results and could tell you that it will get easier and if you keep working at it at your own progression rate before you know it you will be able to do 30 days of level 3.
  • RevCO30
    RevCO30 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I hated level 2 with a passion and the first few days I felt ridiculous. It does get better, however I didn't like those moves anymore at day 10 than I did at day 1. Just push yourself through it and if you have to do modified moves, so what? I did. Level 3 is much better. I had great results by the end of the 30 days, I lost 6lbs and 8.75" overall. Just keep at it :). Good luck!
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Level 2 is challenging! I found it to be more difficult than level 3. Don't give up though, it will get easier. We have to challenge ourselves to see results.
  • _zombiegirl_
    _zombiegirl_ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    LEVEL TWO SUCKS!!! RevCO30 is right. lol I agree with her 100%. Level 3 is not so many plank poses, but more jumping around. Tomorrow is my last day of The Shred, I've gotten some awesome results, too, so it's worth it. Just keep your eyes on the prize. :)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    It takes a few days to get the timing down. Even after 10 days, my pendulum lunges were only so-so. Remember, if you are weak in an area, your goal is to strengthen and that requires work. If planks are hard, doing them will help you get stronger. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have a strong upper body and planks are my absolute favorite exercise. Now those squats with a V raise! Eek! I have either tennis or golfers elbow and it hurts, so I just modify the exercise a bit so I can do it. Stick with it! Eventually you'll be saying to yourself, I can't believe I couldn't do that" today I am on L2D15. I started L2 on 5 because it got too easy
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    The plank is supposed to be for core strength. My trainer at my gym tells me to always tighten up my *kitten* and legs to relieve some of the pressure from my arms. Also, if you cannot do it in the regular push-up kind of position, modify it to go down on your knees. It is still hard enough. But I promise that once u do it on your knees a few times, you'll be ready to move on to the full version. All the best!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I found level 3 to be easier than 2, don't worry, you're not alone!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 2 days away from completing the 30DS. I was (still am) in your shoes - level 1 - tough, but I was rolling with it. Level 2 - I thought I was going to die. First four days of level 2 I was not able to do all the moves fully, I thought my heart would thuimp right out of my chest and took a few water breaks throughout, but I kept at it. I did not think I could move to level 3 and was toying with the idea of staying on level 2 for a few more days (to perfect it), but I realized I just needed to keep going... it was my first time on this program and I was going to suck at it, but at least I was sticking it out. Level 3 nearly knocked me to the ground, but once again, I did it best I could and am amout to finish it.

What did I learn? I am not perfect, and I will not get every move perfectly, but I accomplished it (well, almost - 2 more days to go). I will do 30DS again and next time, I will be better at it. And I will do it again after that. Each round will make me stronger and more fit. I still won't be perfect, but I will be a whole lot closer to my goal.

I don't know if this helps you, but just stick with it and before you know it, 30 days will be behind you and you will be extremely proud of yourself for sticking with it. You can do it.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You're not alone!! I found level 1 pretty easy as I'd been doing strength training at home but I definitely find level 2 a challenge. I've just had to have a week off so am back on it tonight. It's the double skipping and plank jacks that kills me, haha!
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you ;) Keep up the good work, you can do it!
  • kaekencoffee
    kaekencoffee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    GREAT! Finished Day 10 of level 1, today is Day 11 of the shred, first day for level 2 and y'all have just really made my day about how difficult it is. I do love planks better than push-ups, I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. BUT, have been awake since 3:30 (which is actually 2:30 for my body because it's only the second day of the time change) and am completely exhausted! Physio at 8:30 am, then coming home to go back to bed.

Wish me luck for today....*sigh*
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Everything gets easier when you do it more. If you are truely having a hard time you have 2 options, go back to level one for a while, or continue with level 2 and if your not ready to move on in 10 days stay there until you are.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm starting level 2 today. How discouraging to read. :grumble:
  • lisamarieayotte
    lisamarieayotte Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I signed on to MFP a few weeks ago, I didn't really intend to use the Message Boards other than to look at everyone else's Success Stories.

I'm happy I posted today because I actually feel supported. I'll try Level 2 again tomorrow, and the day after that, and so on....

Oh, and I don't want to discourage anyone else! We are all built differently; maybe what is hard for me will be easy for you!

Thank you!
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Do you remember your first day of 30 day shred level one, I am sure you felt extremely tired and intimidated by this crazy workout video but, over the course of those 10 days- you overcame all of that weakness and you beat the first level. You felt good and you found a routine. Now, they switched it up on you and made it 2X more difficult for you to handle. I know for a fact that if you want success with this video, you might not be able to walk or lift your arms for a day or so. :) (personal) and the best thing about this is- if you don't honestly feel ready for level 2, stick with level 1. Just stay there until you are ready to go forward. In order to get the best results, you will want to do 10 days of each level but, you can't be mentally exhausted just because of a workout video. Don't get discouraged- I am sure you will find it easier but, just remember 19 more days left... You are almost halfway done! You can do this, for sure! Of course it's going to be hard but what's easy anymore? ;)

Did you get a chance to take measurements and/or pictures of yourself before you started the workout video? If so, you should do them again in 4 days (half way mark) and than at the end. You will be amazed. :)
  • shelmac
    shelmac Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You havent discouraged me, I loved level 1, I'm not sying it was easy. But enjoyed building up to it. Then like so many of you, struggled with Level 2. And gave up. This has inspired me to start again.

The planks hurt my wrists so bad, anyone got any suggestions on how to over come the pain and do this!!!

It's nice to know everyone else struggled with Level 2 also xxx
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Level 2 is murder. Just gotta push through it - good luck!
  • Finchtastic1
    Finchtastic1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Starting level 2 tomorrow!!!
  • Rbatson79
    Rbatson79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started this program today and was overwhelmed! I took small breaks but kept at it. Going to really try to make it through the whole set. Reading everyone's posts makes me feel encouraged to keep going. I hope I can keep up with Level 2 when I get there.