Please help, I am very frustrated!

Options
A little background about me: Next Monday, will be 1 year since I started MFP. I have logged every day, since day 1. My initial goal was to be down 100 pounds by my 1 year anniversary. My overall goal is to lose 140 pounds. I am currently down 79 pounds!

When I first started out, I was losing all my weight by walking, logging and changed my eating habits. It was hard for me to walk 3 laps around the track. I eventually got up to walking about 3 miles a day for 5 days a week.

So, I have gained/lost the same 5 pounds for the past 11 weeks! I can’t seem to get out of this vicious cycle. I know I should be grateful for what I have already lost…and I am, I have so much more to loose and it seems like I will NEVER get there. The past few weeks I tried increasing my calories according to the TDEE minus the 20% (1800 calories). As of today, I am going back down to 1300 calories suggested by MFP. And FYI…I do NOT eat back my exercise calories.

Due to hitting a plateau, at the end of January, I joined the gym. I started out on the treadmill and doing lite leg weights and hurt my knee by lifting, so I backed off the weights. I am now taking a few classes that the gym offers. This will be week #2 for the below schedule.

Monday 5:45 – 6:30 – Kickboxing class (Burning 550 calories) AND 7:00 – 8:00 – Zumba class or step aerobics DVD at home) (Burning 900 calories- Zumba or 750 – step aerobics)

Tuesday Treadmill – 40 minutes @ 3.5mph (inclining every 2-3 minutes up to 9% and then declining back down), then try to do the incumbent bike at 6.0mph for 20 minutes. (Burning 570 calories – treadmill and 150 bike)

Wednesday Possible off night for Church; or I will attend the Zumba class or step aerobics DVD at home (burning 900 calories- Zumba or 750 – step aerobics)

Thursday Treadmill – 40 minutes @ 3.5mph (inclining every 2-3 minutes up to 9% and then declining back down), then try to do the incumbent bike at 6.0mph for 20 minutes. . (Burning 570 calories – treadmill and 150 bike)

Friday Off

Saturday 9:00 – 9:45 – Kickboxing class (Burning 550 calories) AND 1:00 – 2:00 – Zumba class) (Burning 900 calories- Zumba)

Sunday Off

I know everyone is going to say its muscle – but I have so much fat too loose, how could that be? I cannot tell a difference in my clothes or in the mirror! Why is the scale not cooperating? I am on the verge of tears…and so badly want to throw in the towel. Very frustrated! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. You're working out like crazy and eating only 1300 - this is why you're not losing. You need to eat some of your exercise calories back so you at LEAST net 1200 every single day, but preferably more.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    How many calories do you eat per day?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You didnt gain muscle.. your not eating enough to gain any muscle.. How long did you try eating at 1800 for? I would do that for 4 weeks at minimum.. Your eating 1300 calories per MFP (is that set at lightly active or sedentary) and then you add your exercise calories and there ya go 1800+ calories.. Can only get away with huge deficits for so long.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough as it is let alone for how much exercise you do.

It's not muscle because the extreme deficit you have will cause you to lose muscle along with some fat and water.

If you don't want to up your base calories to where they should be, at least eat back your exercise calories. Some days you net into the negative calories it looks like. You want to net your daily goal.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. You're not eating enough to sustain weight loss. Also, you might want to mix in some weight training instead of extra cardio. I know it doesn't blast as many calories, but it helps with overall metabolism and you get a longer burn after the workout is done than you do with straight cardio.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    People will likely ask that you open your Food Diary to see what you are eating.

I have the same problem, except I've only lost 36lbs after gaining 4 lbs last week for no apparent reason! I've been working out for 8 months with a personal trainer and am trying to lose 200lbs. I should be dropping weight like crazy too, and I understand the frustration!!! Could be 'what' you are eating rather than volume, too high in carbs - not enough protein? I've got plenty of injuries and health issues, but don't let that stop you from exercising - you will feel 10x better if you keep doing it! Don't try to start off doing too much, it's ok to do very light weights with more reps (2-5lb weights), just get moving. If you feel real pain - not fatigue - then STOP doing what you're doing! Find the correct form for weight lifting is more important at this stage. I started with light weights, and now I do 100lb bench presses, 180-220lb leg presses - you will get get there, just don't injure yourself trying!

It doesn't get easier, you just get Better!
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do you know your fat%? You may be losing fat, but not weight. I've been in the same boat - 19 weeks with the same 5lb up and down, and I have the same frustrations. When you have a goal, you want to be making progress to that goal. I usually have a 500-800 calorie deficit (based on using a BodyMedia monitor). Even though I have not lost the weight that the calorie deficit would imply, my fat % has gone down from 35% to 33%. This to me is even better because that means my body composition is changing to more muscle than fat. (I have a bio-impedance scale that measures my fat%).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    As of today, I am going back down to 1300 calories suggested by MFP. And FYI…I do NOT eat back my exercise calories.
    I think this is the LAST thing you should do! Eating 1300, burning 500+ leaves your body with very little fuel, and gives it a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

I agree with the others, you are likely not eating enough. You say you tried eating 1800 for the past few weeks - define few? If it was less than 6 weeks, it's not long enough to know whether or not it was working.

Looks like all your workouts are pretty much cardio. I would recommend some sort of strength/resistance/weight training. There are things you can do and still take it easy on your knee, but cutting back on the cardio and doing more strength work will help as well.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Why are you going back to 1300 when it stopped working for you?

How long did you eat at TDEE-20%? You have to have patience when upping cals. At 1300 you have (probably) been eating at a large deficit, and you've been doing that for a year. Your body has to have time to adjust to the higher calorie goal, and then it should start losing again.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Do you know your fat%? You may be losing fat, but not weight. I've been in the same boat - 19 weeks with the same 5lb up and down, and I have the same frustrations. When you have a goal, you want to be making progress to that goal. I usually have a 500-800 calorie deficit (based on using a BodyMedia monitor). Even though I have not lost the weight that the calorie deficit would imply, my fat % has gone down from 35% to 33%. This to me is even better because that means my body composition is changing to more muscle than fat. (I have a bio-impedance scale that measures my fat%).

Keeping tabs of your body fat is a good thing to do. Best way to do it would either be the bod pod or calipers. At home scales are ok as a guide however they are not completely accurate. I use mine as a guide but I know it's not the true number. I can get on my scale and it gives me a body fat reading... than drink water and get back on and the reading is higher/lower.
  • amie290478
    amie290478 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Eat more please. You are not giving your body enough fuel. Your excercising is fab but you need to give your body the fuel to do it.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Mark's Daily Apple (search his site for "chronic cardio" - exercise is stress. The body treats all stress the same - whether it's exercise or late bills. And what does too much stress do?) There are a number of articles. Search "Fat Paradigm"; "What it means to be fat-adapted", "context of calories"; "how many calories does muscle burn anyway?".

Click on the tab "Success stories" and start reading. They are inspiring.

Focus on what you are putting in your mouth, not how much. Don't worry about how high you get your heart rate. Focus on moving a lot. Just move. Lift heavy things.

Some other sites to scour (and I mean scour hard - read as much as you can)
    chriskresser.com
    gnolls.org

and each of these sites have a list of links (to the right) of other sites that are similar and can give you great info.

Your body is broken. Your metabolism is broken. Fix yourself on the inside and the outside will eventually fall into place. (Eat real, whole food. Food doesn't contain ingredients. Food is an ingredient. A bunch of food cooked together is a recipe). It might take a few weeks, months or years. But you will get there if you follow this.

I learned all my weight and health issues weren't about how much I ate (believe me, I wasn't overeating!). They were about what I was eating.
  • MsSanDiegoExplorer
    Options
    Maybe try a bananna before you work out
  • Kreacher12
    Kreacher12 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 140 lbs overall. Your calorie intake is 1300. That's not enough calories per day. I don't know how you have your settings, but you need to go back to the 1800 per day. I weigh 186 and my recommended settings are 1,780 calories a day.

Starving yourself is not the answer. I am at a plateau as well. Just keep working at it and stick by your exercise. One of the difficult things about losing weight is that as you lose, it becomes harder to lose. Listen to your body. It might well be that you are at the weight your body needs to be at.

Note that i do not know what you weigh at this time, but a 79 pound loss is good.
  • CherWilcox
    CherWilcox Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You work out more than any person I know!! I agree with everyone that your body needs those extra calories with all of the calories you are burning up!! I am no expert so I cannot give wonderful advice, but I can tell you that you are one of the reasons I have lost 38lbs thus far!! You motivated me at football practices to get up and move. You look amazing. You are a true inspiration to me and many others I am sure! DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! Giving up is not an option. This too shall pass my friend. I changed one of my bad habits this past week--- I love soda (diet coke and/or mountain dew) but I have given them up and only drank water just to see what the scale says this week!! I think we just have to try new and/or different things! Praying for you!!! :)
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 79 lbs! That is no small feat!! You have done great so far, don't let this setback get you down. I don't have any advice about how to fix it. Just super kudos to you and trust in the MFP regs to get you back to losing.

Plus wow on your walking and dedication you are an inspiration!
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely eat back your exercise calories. And depending on how long and how hard you exercise you might need to take a week off from working out to give your body a chance to recover.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How long did you give TDEE -20% ??
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Keeping tabs of your body fat is a good thing to do. Best way to do it would either be the bod pod or calipers. At home scales are ok as a guide however they are not completely accurate. I use mine as a guide but I know it's not the true number. I can get on my scale and it gives me a body fat reading... than drink water and get back on and the reading is higher/lower.

All fat measurement has a 5% +/- accuracy margin - except maybe dunk tank. The scale directions actually say to measure 5x a day and average it :-( But just like weight, if you measure fat % at the same time of day/same conditions, you will be able to see increase/decrease. I'm much higher BF% in the morning, but that's when I weight myself. The number has gone down, that's all I care about.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Do you ever take an entire week off of exercise? I would try that, AND eat at maintenance or tdee - 15%. You can still stay active during that week, just give your body a rest for a bit. If you don't want to try that just yet, then yes, you need to keep eating more, your 1800 calculation. or even more, on the days you hit the gym twice, burning close to 1000. (use hrm, can't remember if you said you had one). I feel ya though, I had many plateaus for a good 8+ weeks, bouncing between the same couple pounds.