Long Distance Runners. How would you train for this.

Options
I am running a relay May 11th and a 20k June 1st. My total mileage for the Relay is 13.5 miles (3 legs total). I am trying to figure out the best way to train. I am thinking about doing a half mararthon program and figuring the relay to be the end of the program. I would do lighter weekday runs the two weeks in between. I am still not sure what to figure for the longer runs on the two weekends between.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? What would you figure for long runs the two weekends between?

Replies

• lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are you doing Ragnar? I've done it twice, so much fun! A Half Marathon program will be good because it will get you close to the total mileage for your relay. Check the elevation chart for your legs on the relay and train accordingly. The hills on my relay killed me! Also, be sure you stretch as much as possible when you finish your leg. By the time I got to my 3rd leg of the relay, it was only a 4 miler but my legs were really tight and sore from sitting in a van for 30+ hours.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would also try to do several double ups, where you run twice in one day
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm interested in responses too! I have an upcoming 25K (15.5 miles) that is a series of 5 5ks, with about an hour between each start time. My plan is to train long runs up to 12 miles, get a few doubles days in, and work on pacing myself properly. I have a half marathon two weeks after that I have prioritized over the 25k, so hopefully I don't burn out on it!
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My Tri training buddy is ramping up for run across GA. I would recommand a couple of 2 or 3 times a day runs even if they are short in nature (2-3 miles apiece).

I would recommend just using the race as your long run culmination and taper the two weeks in between
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It is not Ragnar but I would love to do that relay.
  • workout_junkee
    Options
    Bump
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I would use your relay as either your last long run, or a tune-up race for the 20k. Last fall I used Reach The Beach as a test run for the Chicago Marathon, I ran it at Marathon +15 seconds pace, and that worked pretty well. Depends on which race is more important to you though.

Also, I concur with the two-a-days. They always help me with relays.
  • workout_junkee
    Options
    I really appreciate all the advice. I will definitely figure in some twice a day runs:-).