Lowering body fat %

Options
How many grams of fat is an OK amount to consume per day if you are trying to lower your body fat percentage? I am trying to build lean muscle, I do cardio 5 times a week and strength training 5 times a week. I am a beginner, so I only do small weights (10 lbs to start). Also, what are some good meats I can consume with low fat - chicken breast and turkey?

Replies

• mjl_
    mjl_ Posts: 26
    Options
    bump
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fat is an OK amount to consume per day if you are trying to lower your body fat percentage? I am trying to build lean muscle, I do cardio 5 times a week and strength training 5 times a week. I am a beginner, so I only do small weights (10 lbs to start). Also, what are some good meats I can consume with low fat - chicken breast and turkey?

Actually, cutting out fat is probably the worst thing you could do for fat loss. Your body metabolizes more fat when you have a constant flow of fat throughout the day. The main thing is to get it from healthy sources like avocado, chia seeds, coconut oil, ect.

Anywhere between 20-35% is fine. Just remember fat has twice the energy of carbs and protein, so you can't just add up grams.

Fish is probably your best option as far as meat goes.
  • mjl_
    Options

Actually, cutting out fat is probably the worst thing you could do for fat loss. Your body metabolizes more fat when you have a constant flow of fat throughout the day. The main thing is to get it from healthy sources like avocado, chia seeds, coconut oil, ect.

Anywhere between 20-35% is fine. Just remember fat has twice the energy of carbs and protein, so you can't just add up grams.

Fish is probably your best option as far as meat goes.

Oh really, thank you for this! I usually eat chicken thighs, but I read those are bad for chicken and to have chicken breast instead. I eat alot of white fish - tilapia being my favorite. I don't like to eat too much fish, and would like a variety of ideas. I like to eat alot of nuts which have good fats in it, but I limit it to 1 serving a day. What is chia? Is 100% pure olive oil OK for cooking oil?

What about fat in baked stuff, like crackers or whole grain bars like nutri grain etc. Are those bad to consume? Thank you for your reply.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You need fat in your diet. Watch your oils. Stick with olive oil and coconut oil. Eat your avacados. Bacon is one of my favorites!
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The thing to watch out for with a lot of store-bought crackers is the hydrogenated oils/fats, which are very bad for you. Always read labels.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. All the 'low fat' stuff you see in shops is usually loaded with sugar instead! Chia is a type of seed. I've never had them though. Olive oil is fine for cooking etc, just watch your measures. I love organinc peanut butter on wholegrain rice cakes. I wouldn't touch ceral bars, loaded with sugars. there will be plenty of recipies to make your own with oats and nuts etc. Have you calculated what your tdee is etc? I am currently eating 20% below mines so that I continue to lose fat while doing some resistance training. I generally try to eat clean most of the time but will have things like wholemeal or wholewheat stuff if I fancy pasta, bread or rice.
  • mjl_
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. All the 'low fat' stuff you see in shops is usually loaded with sugar instead! Chia is a type of seed. I've never had them though. Olive oil is fine for cooking etc, just watch your measures. I love organinc peanut butter on wholegrain rice cakes. I wouldn't touch ceral bars, loaded with sugars. there will be plenty of recipies to make your own with oats and nuts etc. Have you calculated what your tdee is etc? I am currently eating 20% below mines so that I continue to lose fat while doing some resistance training. I generally try to eat clean most of the time but will have things like wholemeal or wholewheat stuff if I fancy pasta, bread or rice.

i am not big on pasta, but if i do have it i do have the whole grain pasta. As for bread i use 100% whole wheat. I don't eat any fast food either. I am looking for some good food ideas though. I am a huge fan of omelettes! I have to look into tdee, not sure what that is exactly. I have a general idea but that's it.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    TDEE is basically my maintainence so I eat 20% below that. My BMR is 1360 which is what I eat now and not 1200 like mfp gave me. I have my fat at 45g per day, carbs 102g and protein 136g. I opted for higher protein due to the strength training. I don't do cardio so that amount of carbs is ok for me.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I eat 35% fat and have dropped my BF% by 2% since the end of January. Just make sure your fat is coming from healthy sources. AHA recommends 20-35% (they recommend <30% for an average lifestyle) of your calories come from fat. Of those, <10% (preferably <7%) should come from saturated fats, 10% or less from polyunsaturated, and 10-15% come from monounsaturated.
  • kaitlynelkins9
    kaitlynelkins9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a proponent of eating as much fat as you like as long as you don't pair it with as much carbohydrate as you like. For instance, I think eating a fatty steak is a perfectly acceptable meal, but eating pasta covered in alfredo sauce is less optimal. I used to avoid saturated fats like the plague, but now I eat them regularly while consuming far fewer grains and starchy carbs. To each his own, but it is very important not to severely restrict your fat intake because it predisposes you to nutrient deficiencies.
  • mjl_
    Options
    TDEE is basically my maintainence so I eat 20% below that. My BMR is 1360 which is what I eat now and not 1200 like mfp gave me. I have my fat at 45g per day, carbs 102g and protein 136g. I opted for higher protein due to the strength training. I don't do cardio so that amount of carbs is ok for me.

oh really. i have been eating too many complex carbs lately. how many grams per day is good? 102 grams seems so low! but i do cardio so i wonder how many grams are good for me? i am also doing strength. just starting out on the strength though, can only manage 10 lbs at a time..
  • mjl_
    Options
    I'm a proponent of eating as much fat as you like as long as you don't pair it with as much carbohydrate as you like. For instance, I think eating a fatty steak is a perfectly acceptable meal, but eating pasta covered in alfredo sauce is less optimal. I used to avoid saturated fats like the plague, but now I eat them regularly while consuming far fewer grains and starchy carbs. To each his own, but it is very important not to severely restrict your fat intake because it predisposes you to nutrient deficiencies.

thanks. i dont eat pasta, i am not a huge fan. what would u have with that steak? veggies? i love my veggies.
  • mjl_
    Options
    I eat 35% fat and have dropped my BF% by 2% since the end of January. Just make sure your fat is coming from healthy sources. AHA recommends 20-35% (they recommend <30% for an average lifestyle) of your calories come from fat. Of those, <10% (preferably <7%) should come from saturated fats, 10% or less from polyunsaturated, and 10-15% come from monounsaturated.

oh thanks for this. i have some saggy skin from a csection to an almost 11 lb baby 10 months ago. will reducing my body fat tighten up said loose skin'?
  • kaitlynelkins9
    kaitlynelkins9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

thanks. i dont eat pasta, i am not a huge fan. what would u have with that steak? veggies? i love my veggies.

One of my favorite meals is a sirloin steak served with broccoli or mixed veggies sauteed in oil or butter.
  • chels0722
    Options

oh thanks for this. i have some saggy skin from a csection to an almost 11 lb baby 10 months ago. will reducing my body fat tighten up said loose skin'?

It will help, but strengthening those ab muscles will be the most effective! Do some strength training with weights and resistance to really work them :) If you go to a gym I'm sure a trainer would be more than happy to show you some great moves!

And PS

11lb baby! Good for you girl! I had trouble pushing out my 7lb kiddo. Any heavier than that and I would have had to have a c-section too! Kudos to you for being strong enough to carry!
  • chels0722
    Options

One of my favorite meals is a sirloin steak served with broccoli or mixed veggies sauteed in oil or butter.

Welp, I know what I'm having for dinner now! Sounds so good!
  • mjl_
    Options

sounds yummy! mmmmm
  • mjl_
    Options

It will help, but strengthening those ab muscles will be the most effective! Do some strength training with weights and resistance to really work them :) If you go to a gym I'm sure a trainer would be more than happy to show you some great moves!

And PS

11lb baby! Good for you girl! I had trouble pushing out my 7lb kiddo. Any heavier than that and I would have had to have a c-section too! Kudos to you for being strong enough to carry!

My abs are quite strong, I have been conditioning them since I was about 4 months postpartum. I do bicycle crunches, regular crunches, transabdominals. I also do push ups and alot of other strength moves, if you check my diary out you can see. She was ridiculously heavy and I was in so much pain at the end. I was so happy to have had her taken out, I don't think I could have pushed that baby out! Thank you for the kudos.

I do my workouts at home, I can't afford a gym membership. Today I ran on the treadmill but only 10 minutes of vigorous since it was my first time in 15 years, and I did a bunch of reps of strength moves, mostly for my arms. I then did some pilates, and calisthenics which I spoke about above, and some resistance training (arms, laterals), calf lifts, and some squats as well. Can you think of anything else I can do? I lifted 10 lb hand weights with my squats.