Glasses and exercise :(

Options
Have very bad eye sight, working sooo hard at the gym at the minute but my glasses are really getting to me. Contact lenses not really an option with my prescription but constantly have steamed up glasses and my nose gets sore from being sweaty and having my glasses on. Taking them off is really not an option as genuinely wouldn't be able to see. Its getting me down a bit and the steaming up part is embarrassing :(

Replies

• fraggles1805
    fraggles1805 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ha just realised my pic shows me in sunglasses, they are prescription ones!!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wearing a hat? I find it helps to soak up the sweat and keep my glasses from slipping constantly.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    My vision isn't *too* bad, but I never take them off and I too get the steam problem a bit, usually only when I'm on my back. I'm wondering if there is some kind of adhesive pad you could put on it so that your nose won't hurt. As for the steam I don't know what would fix that, if anything.
    Good luck!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into getting a pair of prescription sport glasses? Don't know if this will fix the fogging issue but your eye doctor would know or might have some other ideas for you.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    im blind as a bat too but i can still wear contacts. If i ever get to the point im too blind for contacts i will get lasik. I cant imagine trying to workout with glasses on. You poor thing!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't have any solutions, but I can empathize!!! Glasses suck sometimes, especially the steaming part!! When I'm jogging outside in the winter I spend half my time trying to wipe the lenses so I can see :grumble: Wearing a hat that comes down just low enough to snug up the arms against your head DOES help a bit with the slippage though, that was a good suggestion!
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I hated that too!! I wore glasses for 35 years at least and had the same problem no matter what I tried. One thing I never tried was the anit-fog stuff that people use in dive masks (just popped into my head - go figure).I just got Lasik on Saturday. LOVE IT!!!
  • Boston_G
    Boston_G Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try sports glasses like the ones basketball players wear. They are not the most fashionable, but they might work for you. Also there is an anti fog formula that you can get at sports stores that sell hockey equipment.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses all the time. They're plastic lenses and I don't have the problem with them steaming up unless I've been outside.

Try a product called Cat Crap. (No, I'm not kidding!) It's waxy type stuff that you rub on your glasses and them buff off. I use it on my motorcycle helmet shield in cold weather when my breath steams up the shield. You can buy it at most sports stores, especially places LIke Eastern Mountain Sports, and you can find it online at a lot of places.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My sympathies to you! I've worn glasses for 40+ years and to be honest if I'm on a machine I take them off - especially if it's a treadmill or spin and I know I'm going to be sweating and they are going to be slipping off or fogging up anyways. If it's boxing or body pump I just wear them.

I know there are some glass cleaners that supposedly help with the fogging (Avon?) and what about a strap? I've seen the ones that attach to the ear pieces and go around the back of your head. Not fashonable but might work. Or go get them tightened? Good luck
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I bought cheap disposal contacts to wear. I can't really read properly with them in but at least I have my distance vision and can leave my glasses behind.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Yep I use a strap if I am going to be moving a lot. Most times I can manage to not need it though. The anti-fog stuff is good also. I am really good about keeping my face dry with a towel when I am at the gym so I don't usually have the glasses slipping.
  • fraggles1805
    Options
    Thanks everyone, surgery is also not an option. I can have contact lenses but incredibly expensive (£90 a month, or for US people $135) as they have to be specially made. I will definitely try the anti fog stuff idea, thank you :)
  • fraggles1805
    Options
    Also thanks for the strap idea, should have added that I have to have very thick lenses, they are thinned as much as technology allows but they are still quite heavy which I think is the main part of the problem.
  • JMM41980
    JMM41980 Posts: 5
    Options
    Sweat band and a sport croaky.

Fashionable sweatbands: http://www.sweatybands.com

Fashionable Croakies: http://store.croakies.com/croakies.aspx
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The strap idea is great, but you'll probably still fog.

Like you, blind as bat, can't do contacts due to script, and lazer also not an option.

It's a pain.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, sister. Contacts have become incredibly uncomfortable for me, have tried different brands to no avail. I also have problems with my glasses fogging up and can't see the workout dvd.
  • NicolaMapp
    NicolaMapp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Due to problems with my eyes, I was forced to forego lenses about 12 months ago. I managed with the glasses, a strap for running and in spin I managed to do that blind!! But any aerobic exercise was difficult. I have to admit I succumbed to LASEK in the end and a month on the best decision!!

I feel you for you with the glasses, but the strap does help xx
  • Davis911
    Davis911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If the anti-fog works as earlier suggested, try a diluted spray of baby shampoo and water on your lenses. Works as good as anti-fog (in regards to a dive mask)
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I take my glasses off while I am using the cardio machines but I have a real hard time reading the displays. Sometime I put them in the plastic cup holders, so that I can put them on to read the display.