Depression getting in the way

Options
13»

Replies

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Depression has been something I've fought with all of my life. I didn't realize it as a child, but I can look back and see it now. My adult years have had ups and serious downs. A few years ago I was on medication for depression, and I came to the decision it was no way to live. So I went off it and decided to simply turn around my way of looking at life. This winter has been hard, though. Usually the never ending winter rain doesn't get to me too badly, but the lack of sunshine has hit me this year. Couple it with my looming 40th birthday, knowing I've spent my 30's fat and unhappy, I've never found and followed my dreams... it's hard not to find myself slumping lower and lower. I had a great start on MFP, but every time I step on the scale this week it just goes another tick back up to where I started. I'm feeling at this point as if I shouldn't have even bothered.

The sun is shining today at least. I need to get outside for a walk and soak it in before it starts to rain for a few more weeks.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I thought ny depression went but I've just been lying to myself for last year or so and now its worse than ever, so going to see a counselor see if that helps and maybe go to doctors , i can't carry on like this :/
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Thank you.

Yup, agreed. I NEVER had any issues of depression growing up, but had it hit me hard last year. It freaked me out, being what I considered a strong, confident man...it really brought me to my knees...literally. I learned in short time, it is me against my body sometimes, but I am learning to manage it conciously and with this better lifestyle I am entering.

One of the things I have found, and even in reading this thread, is I am not alone with this. So gather around...group hug...high fives...and let's keep each other going!

Cheers.

I am so glad you shared. My husband is a strong, confident man too. A few years ago, he was laid off from a job he loved within a month of me being diagnosed with cancer. I know both things hit him really hard, but he never talked about it. However it came out in other ways - his mood, watching tv for hours on end, sleeping a lot. I think men have a harder time with depression because it is more of a stigma for them to get help.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm happy I have so many responses to my post, but I'm sorry so many people struggle with the same issue!

I've decided to focus on eating healthy foods and exercising, not worrying so much about logginh and weight loss for now.
  • carolineo36
    Options
    I have struggled with depression most of my life. Up until a couple years ago it was ignored and untreated. It damn near killed me. I am lucky, I survived and found the help I needed. Cognitive therapy and the medication that works for me helped me get somewhat balanced. It's been a long road. Some of the things that work for me when I feel like staying in bed did I die;

happy music that I enjoy
    meditation
    thinking about what I will be able to do once I'm at a healthy weight again
    puppies and babies

I still have issues almost every day. I can feel the constant tug of depression trying to pull me down. I refuse to let it. I think the key is to find a reason and hold onto it. Kind of like Peter Pan and happy thoughts, Find your happy thought and use it. When you do, you'll be able to fly too.

Thank you for sharing! Incredibly helpful and reassuring knowing I am not alone!
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nicola19489
    nicola19489 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Like other people have said, it is so nice to read all these posts! we are all in the same boat and i know i often forget that when feeling depressed..it consumes you and it is hard to shift. Exercise is definately the key for me. if anyone wants to add me feel free..its nice to have friends that know what you are going through, i dont think unless you suffer or have suffered with it..i dont think people understand what its like to have something you have almost no control of!

Nicky :)