WHY THE HELL AM I GAINING WEIGHT?

Options
So far I have been really good with my calorie counting. Couple day I went under, couple days ive gone over and I am slowly adjusting my diet to be a very healthy one so why the hell did I gain weight?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You're going to need to provide more information or open your diary. It's likely water weight if you have just started working out or if it's your time of the month.
  • christocentrist
    Options
    :[

Don't give up! How is your exercise program?

If you've just started a new fitness/diet program, your body might need a little bit of time for adjustment.
    Give it another week and reevaluate. In any case I hope you find the answers you're looking for!
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If its just a case of it going up from your last measure its going to be water weight if you have been eating less than your TDEE. If you are seeing a steady upward trend gaining over a few weeks then you're either eating over your actual TDEE or underestimating logging.
  • NerdyJenn
    NerdyJenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you working out as well? Lifting?

Last month I gained 5lbs after 6 weeks of being awesome (even more awesome than usual and after my body analysis came back saying I had dropped 1% body fat). The 5lbs stuck around for 7 days, then it left and took another 5 with it.

I figured it was my body just messing with me. You know, keeping me on my toes.

(Or it was added water for muscle repair.)
  • Timbit5
    Timbit5 Posts: 10
    Options
    Salt kills me....watch the salt intake :) and keep at it
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't know
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    How much weight are we talking, and what is the timeframe?
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So far I have been really good with my calorie counting. Couple day I went under, couple days ive gone over and I am slowly adjusting my diet to be a very healthy one so why the hell did I gain weight?

Dont worry about weighing daily. The levels of food in your system and water retention will lead to ups and downs. What you are looking for is an overall gradual decline, not daily. Also make sure you weight yourself at the same time, on waking after your first visit to the loo for example!

What is your cal target? Aim for about 20% under your TDEE.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Holy Crap! I don't blame you for being upset. Could be if you just started exercising..those crazy muscles get tears and fill with water and it causes temporary false weight gain on the scale..also sodium..did you eat sodium laden foods? That makes you gain a lot ...five to six pounds.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No one knows because none of us can see your diary.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    How much weight are we talking, and what is the timeframe?

And where are you in your menstrual cycle? That makes a BIG difference to some women.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Need more information.

aka...open your diary...how long have you been tracking?....exercise daily?.....
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Its like saying you want a new clean kitchen, then complain when the guys get dust everywhere ripping out the cabinets. You are re-doing a really complex machine. Have faith. If you can't deal with the weight fluctuations, only weigh once a week or so.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh what you eat?
    Do you log EVERYTHING that you eat?
    Are you eating all of your exercise cals back? If so, how confident are you in the burn estimation?
    Do you know your TDEE and know how much of a deficit that you are eating at?

If you are pretty confident in the above then its:
    1. water weight. Drink more water, eat less salt, be patient. If you are lifting, then the water is a good thing
    2. TOM
    3. Constipation. This is very common on a diet, particularly a new one. Up your fiber and/or try a gentle laxative.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I went from 167 to 171 in a day due to bloating. I was frustrated until I realized that I ate food that didn't agree with me and caused the bloat.

Just to prove to myself that it wasn't some spontaneous weight gain, I ate 600 calories worth of ice cream last night. And I'm not worried about it.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Open your diary...
  • amberleighxoxo1
    Options
    My diary says it is open? But either way its about a 5 pound gain, I have just started doing insainity and I have been dieting for about 2ish weeks now. I didnt really expect to see much of a lost, just not a gain you know? I dont eat that much salty food, or I did the first week then noticed I was always over on my sodium so I have been cutting back. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My diary says it is open? But either way its about a 5 pound gain, I have just started doing insainity and I have been dieting for about 2ish weeks now. I didnt really expect to see much of a lost, just not a gain you know? I dont eat that much salty food, or I did the first week then noticed I was always over on my sodium so I have been cutting back. Thanks for the suggestions!

Nope.

Settings -> Diary Settings -> Public
  • pretty4Jesus
    pretty4Jesus Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    haha... don't worry! It's bc you just started a new workout routine! muscles retain water. keep at it! but I feel ya, girl! haha.. I remember thinking.. "what in the world!!!!???... exercising isn't helping" (and at times I saw the scale go up!!!) yea... that freaked me out a lil too! :P but keep at it... you are doing well! God bless :)