RECOMMENDED CALORIES BURNED

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am kind of stumped and need some help. MyFitnessPal exercise plan recommends that I eat 1200 calories a day and burn 162 calories 5X a week. Lately I have been running 5k's and burning around 392 calories a day. Due to this I feel like I need to increase my calorie intake so it does not go into distress mode. Any advise?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't recommend any particular calorie burn.

I recommend strength training 3x/week and cardio 2x/week. Figure out your BMR and TDEE and eat accordingly.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

I recommend strength training 3x/week and cardio 2x/week. Figure out your BMR and TDEE and eat accordingly.

This!
    The calories it tells you to burn a day just depend on what you put in as exercise goal but has nothing to do with any kind of recommendation...
  • TlOwens1123
    Options
    If you are going by the MFP recommended calorie intake you are always supposed to eat back your exercise calories. So if you are on a 1200 calorie plan and you work off 300 in exercise then you are actually supposed to be eating 1500 so that you net 1200 at the end of the day. I made the same mistake when I started and was eating way too few calories. I know go by my TDEE figures instead of the MFP suggested amount and it seems to be working fine.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Eat back your calorie burns, no matter what they are. And MFP (in my opinion) doesn't do a good job with calories either. It old me to eat 1301 calories and I didn't get anywhere. When I calculated my BMR, I upped my calories to 1500 (plus calories burned) and now things are moving.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    you are meant to eat back your excersise calories as many people will say, i dont eat all of them back, about half usually and if you are only eating 1200 then maybe you should incease by 100 or 200 x
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options

This, I'm stumped. I went to the scooby website and it says my bmr is about 500 more than what MFP has me eating daily and my TDEE is about 1000 more. Now I am utterly confused and don't know how many calories I should be eating. I have been going on MFP and have lost 22 pounds since Jan 15. I have a lot to lose, so I don't really know if that is good or not.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    or....follow MFP guidelines and EAT BACK THOSE CALORIES. The program doesn't recommend a calorie burn, somehow you put that in yourself...and that's a good thing. But if you're following MFP program, you eat back the calories you burn in a workout. If you are following the TDEE/BMR method, you don't...that's built into the levels. Totally up to you, both philosophies work well.
  • jesteler
    jesteler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! I will try with eating back the calories I burn. Beforehand when I wouldn't eat back my calories I was still dropping weight but now that I am closer to my weight goal I find it harder and harder to lose weight.