Healthy BBQ Party Ideas

Options
SO I want to have a BBQ tomorrow night but could really use some NEW ideas of food/ snacks that are healthy options for me and my guests. My go to snacks are usually bowls of chips, spinach dip and veggie tray's not to mention burgers, steaks and chicken.

Replies

• antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    veggies!
    i love love love grilled zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, corn!
    we always have a great big salad to serve on the side as well.
    lately, ive been a huge fan of grilled salmon. but it sounds like u already got ur meats chosen.
    have fun =]
  • ashley0424
    ashley0424 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not very experienced with grilling salmon but I do love the idea. Any suggestions on how to grill a great salmon?

Thanks for the help!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    yum i love me some grilled salmon!

I typically put some lemon slices on the top, with a sprinkling of lemon pepper. I always make sure my hubby doesn't turn the grill on too hot, otherwise it will dry out the salmon. When you're trying to figure out if the salmon is done, take a fork to it and scrape it to see if its "flaky". If it is flaky it should be done, as long as the inside has been cooked evenly. I'm sort of a freak when it comes to making sure my meat is cooked, so i will usually cut it open a bit to check.

Some of my other favorites to bring to a BBQ are:
    - my own Orowheat whole wheat sandwich thins (instead of a regular hamburger bun)
    - Baked chips
    - fresh fruit (watermelon slices, cantelope slices, strawberries, grapes)
    - fresh veggies for grilling (asparagus, zucchini, green/red peppers, red potatoes)
    - homemade guacamole dip with baked tortilla chips
    - kabobs- meat, veggies, pineapple..yummm...

I'm kind of in your same boat, if others have good suggestions of sides to bring to a BBQ that would be fabulous. Although, I don't mind bringing the usual, because its typically easy and less clean-up.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Here's a great post from earlier for some suggestions..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100475-what-to-take-to-a-summer-cookout
  • iluvjac
    iluvjac Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi I am hosting a BBQ tonight...along with the same meats, I also include this coleslaw! It is awesome!! It is so good, that it can been eaten as a side, or put on top of fish, turkey burgers...fish tacos!! I like to bring a veggie burger with me to BBQ's and then I make this slaw...so when everyone is eatin a huge burger....I have my veggie burger topped with this!! Then everyone says whoa...what is that!!! Then they want what I have!

Cilantro Blue Cheese Slaw

8 c shredded cabbage
    1 small red onion halved and thinnly sliced
    1/3 cup fresh cilantro-minced
    1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
    1/4 c of crumbled blue cheese
    1/4 cup of fat free mayo
    1/4 cup of reduced fat sour cream
    2 tb of rice vinegar
    2 tb lime juice
    1 galic clove
    1 tsp of sugar
    1 tsp of lime zest
    3/4 tsp of salt
    1/2 pepper

In a large bowl comine the cabbage, onion, cilantro and jalapeno. In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredents; pour over salad and toss to coat!

3/4 c equals 63 calories 2 g fat (1 sat f) 6 mg cholesterol, 363 mg of sodium, 9 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein,
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    on my salmon filets i put some garlic, cumin and lemon (sometimes if im grilling loads.. ill just put a 1/2 cup of OJ in marinade instead of lemon).... i always add any herb .. whichever one i feel like.. sometimes thyme, sometimes basil or parsley.
    and def sprinkle some hot pepper =]

no need to marinade long, or even cook long! && they come out DELICIOUS!
    i usually have one portion, my boyfriend will have like 3! lol