almost 10lb gained first week

Options
Hello all,
First post.

While I'm not new to fitness, I'm new to monitoring my weight on a weekly basis. When I was in highschool/college I worked out all the time but never got on a scale. I got away from fitness all together and now that I'm in my late 20's I just started working out intensely again.

I started about 2 weeks ago at a weight of 190-192. Fast forward to today and my weight is closer to 200. I already am noticing results in my body shape, but it seems weird to gain almost 10 lbs in a little less then 2 weeks. Conventional logic says that I'm just building muscle, but I doubt I gained 10 lbs of lean tissue in just 2 weeks.

My exercise consists of 6 strength exercises (3 sets each, reps depend on exercise) and 30 minutes of stationary bicycling done 5 times a week.

I'm not really concerned with what the scale says, I would like to know the science behind suddenly adding so much weight in such a short amount of time.

Thanks.

Replies

• auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Water retention in your muscles. Don't worry about the scale too much crazy fluctuations on a daily basis are normal.

Eta: others can probably give you a better description but that is the basic reasoning behind it lol.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Since you just started working out again, your muscles retain water for repair. Changes in your diet, weighing at different times of day and at different hydration levels can also show up on the scale.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Since you just started working out again, your muscles retain water for repair. Changes in your diet, weighing at different times of day and at different hydration levels can also show up on the scale.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I expect it's a combination of the water retention already mentioned and weighing inaccuracies.

Are you weighing yourself under identical conditions every day (ie. same scale, same time of day, same situation-- like, after using the restroom, but before breakfast, etc.)? My own bodyweight varies by as much as 10 pounds throughout the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think your scale might be off..

to put on 10 pounds in two weeks you would have to eat an EXTRA 35,000 calories in fourteen days...which means you would have to eat 2500 calories over what you normal eat..have you eaten 5000 + cals per day for the past two weeks? I don't think water retention will add ten pounds..for me water retention is usually about four...
  • jeffinstereo
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself under identical conditions every day

Should have specified, I've only weighed myself twice, the day I started working out at the gym again, and this morning. Both times in the morning before breakfast and post workout.

I'm going to go with water retention, I'm sure within the next few weeks then I'll see weight changes that are actually accurate and not my body getting back into athletic form.

Thanks for the answers. Like I said before I don't care what the scale tells me, I'm more concerned about what the mirror tells me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    whenever you start a new routine the body retains water. It is neither fat nor muscle. Don't worry about it as it will level off.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. Like I said before I don't care what the scale tells me, I'm more concerned about what the mirror tells me.

Great attitude!! Good luck reaching your goals!!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'd like to piggy-back on your thread if you don't mind! I'm 3 weeks into a new routine and I'm up about 5 pounds. Can anyone give an estimate of when I can expect the "new routine water weight" to go away?
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue just the past two days - tried a new routine (admittedly, my muscles are sore today) and the scale went up 2 - 3 lbs overnight! Hard not to feel slightly bummed, even tho logic says its just water / not fat.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    I go by the logic that i don't weigh myself unless its the day after a rest day for me. I used to be a scale junkie and got really tired of it. Getting on the scale one day and weighing 127 and the next morning 129. I know its water weigh and normal differences. Got so frustrating. So i ditched the scale on a daily basis.

I'll weigh myself the day after a rest day. I never weigh myself after a workout, especially a lifting one. Your muscles do retain water for repair and it can be disappointing to see it on the scale.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'd like to piggy-back on your thread if you don't mind! I'm 3 weeks into a new routine and I'm up about 5 pounds. Can anyone give an estimate of when I can expect the "new routine water weight" to go away?

It took about 5 weeks for me to show a loss. It was 4 lbs right off the bat. Now I am averaging 1 lb a week.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options

It took about 5 weeks for me to show a loss. It was 4 lbs right off the bat. Now I am averaging 1 lb a week.
    Thank you! I'm definitely sticking with it regardless, but it's good to have hope that I can look forward to a sudden loss after all the hard work.
  • jeffinstereo
    Options
    Doing a little more research and I think this is probably one of the best ways to measure your results in hard numbers (because we all love numbers right?)

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give (from experience with a pretty nasty scale vs. mirror battle): grab a camera, take some "before" pics and your measuring tape, instead of relying on the scale. They tend to tell a very different story!
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give (from experience with a pretty nasty scale vs. mirror battle): grab a camera, take some "before" pics and your measuring tape, instead of relying on the scale. They tend to tell a very different story!

I'm with her.

I def prefer going based on what I look/feel like vs the numbers!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    No one said the obvious. She is gaining muscle
  • ReeRich
    ReeRich Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have also gained 9 pounds in the last week...i cant figure it out either.