30 Day Shred

Options
Yesterday I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It was a great workout that has left me very soar this morning. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically 20 minutes of circuit training. I feel like I got some good cardio in while doing it also since I could barely talk while doing it.

I know this video will help me with toning and strengthening. However, I'm not sure if it burns enough calories. Last night I did 10 minutes of cardio on my elliptical after I was done with the video.

Has anyone done the 30DS without addiing any extra cardio or other exercises to it? Do you think the 30DS is enough of a workout on it's own? The video is only 20 minutes long, which just doesn't seem like enough to me if I want to lose 10 pounds during this 30 days.

Comments??

Replies

• LaurieLynn
    LaurieLynn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was going to start using that DVD tonight, and was wondering how to track it on your exercise log? Thanks.
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm halfway through Level 2. I definitely haven't been doing this in exactly 30 days but combined with a change in diet, I've already lost 7 pounds.

I'm 5'2" and started at 148 pounds. I'm at 139 pounds now. I burn a little more than 300 calories on average during a 30 Day Shred workout, according to the heart rate monitor that I wear.

It's not a lengthy workout but it's effective, in my opinion. You might want to try to invest in a heart rate monitor that will keep track of exactly how many calories you're burning.
  • lalaglo30
    lalaglo30 Posts: 33
    Options
    I usually alternate it throughout the week with other workouts. One day Zumba, one day walking, one day 30 DS shred etc etc. That way I feel like I'm getting enough cardio in.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been thinking I need to get a HR monitor. I'm just cheap and don't want to spend the cash!! haha... :)
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It was a great workout that has left me very soar this morning. If you're not familiar with it, it's basically 20 minutes of circuit training. I feel like I got some good cardio in while doing it also since I could barely talk while doing it.

I know this video will help me with toning and strengthening. However, I'm not sure if it burns enough calories. Last night I did 10 minutes of cardio on my elliptical after I was done with the video.

Has anyone done the 30DS without addiing any extra cardio or other exercises to it? Do you think the 30DS is enough of a workout on it's own? The video is only 20 minutes long, which just doesn't seem like enough to me if I want to lose 10 pounds during this 30 days.

Comments??

First of all, I understand where you're coming from since I really didn't think workout 1 was that bad (it never left me sore or terribly sweaty or anything like that). So, I thought I would let you know that it gets harder in workouts 2 and 3.

Secondly, from what I've seen in the many 30DS before & after threads people who do the program tend to lose more inches than pounds. It looks like you don't have much weight to lose, so at this point 10lbs in 30 days might be too much to expect no matter what exercise you do. It's a great program to help reshape your body, but I don't know that it will drastically make the scale move in your case.

There have been people on here who do additional cardio while doing the 30DS, so maybe they will chime in on what their results were.

On combining 30DS with C25K: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920727-combining-30-day-shred-with-couch-to-5k?hl=30+day+shred#posts-13971623

A before & after thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/867626-jillian-m-30-day-shred-before-after-s?hl=30+day+shred+before+after&page=9#posts-13809268
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just started level 2 last night. By day 3 of level one (when my legs started to stop hurting) I was supplementing with extra cardio because it didn't feel like enough. Not every day, but at least 3 or 4 days a week I add it in. In combination with diet I have a lost a couple pounds since I started the shred, but I don't really have too much to lose, so I feel like I wouldn't have dropped those 2 or so lbs on the workout alone.

Level 2 just kicked my butt, though, so I think I'm going to lighten up a bit on the extra cardio until I get used to it.
  • LaurieLynn
    Options
    I was going to start using that DVD tonight, and was wondering how to track it on your exercise log? Thanks

Can anyone help me with this?
  • hmw78
    hmw78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dug out my 30 DS dvd and am going to start today. How do you keep track of what you have done on the log? I would also like to know.
  • brokenhonu
    brokenhonu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to log it as circuit training.
  • LaurieLynn
    Options
    Thank you
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a copy today as I need someone to tell me what to do when it comes to exercise otherwise I'd just sit on forums and read about it ;)
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use this video sometimes too, though not everyday. I have a ways to go before I'm in good enough shape to get through it all haha so I'll do that one day, then a different one the next, then go back to 30DS. It helps me feel like I'm not dying every single day.
  • CassieJTS
    CassieJTS Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm halfway through level 1 and I've lost 4 pounds and I haven't added any cardio and I've been less than perfect with my diet (oops!). However I also have a lot more to lose than you (30-40 pounds), so take this as you will :). At any rate, it's a great workout, but if you think you can do more on top of it then I think that's great and you should go for it!
  • mick8703
    mick8703 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started 30 DS today. I have been walking/hiking and will continue and also have a very physical job. I will say that I was a sweaty mess at the end of the workout and had to do the modified version of a couple of the exercises. Anyone that wants to join me is more than welcome to send me an FR. Oh and I logged it as circuit training.