How effective is Zumba?

Options
Is there like some sort of build-up course first or do you just jump right in? Not gonna lie, I was skeptical in the past, but seeing so many success stories totally changes my mind.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just jump in. Try not to feel too self concious about the steps or getting the movements exact. If you just starting or like me still fairly heavy you may not be able to go at the same intensity as the skinny ones. Most important thing is that it is fun and just keep moving.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just jump in! If you feel lost, do toe touches or march in place while you watch, then join in again when you can.
  • pikagrrl
    pikagrrl Posts: 2
    Options
    Zumba is AWESOME. I take two classes a week and both of my instructors started teaching it because they lost over 70lbs a piece and wanted to change someone else's life the way theirs had been changed.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It is very effective depending on you. No prior experience needed. Classes I have went to start out with a warm-up song then a mix of moderate and fast followed by cool-down song or two last 5 minutes or so. First couple times you will mess up here and there but main thing is keep on moving. After a bit you will have steps down. Instructors at my gym used style of movements in dance that reminded me of marital arts workouts in past combined with some salsa dancing. Great thing you can put in effort you can. If low on energy you don't need to jump as high. Had older people in class that made jumps very low impact to suit their level, while some young ones were bouncing as high as possible burning close to 1000 calories in an hour. Try it, it is a blast.
  • amye004
    amye004 Posts: 32
    Options
    Is there like some sort of build-up course first or do you just jump right in? Not gonna lie, I was skeptical in the past, but seeing so many success stories totally changes my mind.

The instructors that I have had always say to just have fun with it and try to follow the movements as best you can. People of all levels do the class without a problem so don't worry, jump in! Some songs they will repeat the next week to make sure you can pick up the moves (they seem to change after a couple of weeks). If you are not sure about a class, there are Zumba dvds/ video games that you can do at home.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba once or twice a week since January. Sometimes I am still lost as there are so many songs, but I love it!! Just keep moving and when you leave your hair will be dripping. I burn a lot of calories doing Zumba!!
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh I talked with one of my instructors and he told me he ate between 4000-5000 calories a day. He did about 17 classes a week though and burnt off a lot. He would do jumps and do splits in air to touch toesabout 6 feet off the ground. He would also go so low to ground his back was almost on ground and then go back up. Talk about great core strength. Never met anyone as high energy as him ever and that energy was infectious.
  • akkmomma
    akkmomma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just dive in!!! I've been doing it. It is a great cardio workout, and you might feel sore in the beginning (if you are doing it regularly) but you get used to it. Once you do, increase the intensity to continue the weight loss benefits!
  • driley9330
    driley9330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just jump right in! I started Zumba in January and I've lost 4 inches off my waist already! I love it. It feels odd at first but no one looks at you and you just do what you can. I am 220 pounds and started Zumba in January at 230. I do it twice a week and count my calories. You should give it at least 2-3 trys.
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Zumba is FANTASTIC! I used to take 4-5 classes/week and my HRM would show a burn of 300-350 for a 30 minute class or 600-700 for an hour. Just jump in and keep moving. Have fun with it and it won't even feel like you're working out.
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA is my drug of choice! Just jump in! I am NOT coordinated so when I started 2 yrs ago I was scared to death that I would hurt myself....or worse.....hurt someone near me! It is without a doubt the most fun "exercise" you will ever do!! Give yourself a few classes to get to know the songs. It is hard at first because it will seem like everyone else knows all the songs, which the probably do, but only because they go regularly! You will be like that very soon! The motto in my studio is "Shake it til ya make it!" and "There aren't any mistakes....just solos" :O)
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    All this info was very help for me too as I've been confused with Zumba! Thanks
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Jump right in!

But, if you want to try out some moves/basics at home, their DVD set has a step-by-step instruction DVD. It's really slow/methodical, and teaches the basics. Now, I don't know how many of those basics I actually apply during class, but they are used in the DVDs.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    jump right in. its just to have fun. ive been doing it over a year, have the dvds, and still mess up, and you just laugh at yourself. classes i take at the gym the teachers just say have fun, no matter how you look, and believe me, ive looked like a fool, and i made friends in class and we all have so much fun laughing at ourselves. as long as you move thats what matters. i highly recommend it. lost 40 pounds from it.
  • sassy_sandi
    sassy_sandi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it; I am 60 and only went because my youngest daughter talked me into it and I wanted to 'hang out' with her. Well, it was the longest hour of my life and I thought I was gonna die. When they went left I went right, and I was way over thinking it! Luckily I kept going back (my daughter quit) and guess what I still go left when they go right BUT it doesn't matter; I am having fun and YES, it is the 'secret' to my weight loss. I have sense added other forms of group exercises and it has opened up a brand new world to me. I don't 'feel' judged and well if I am; 'oh well'...I am having fun and it works! Go for it!:wink:
  • minkychan
    minkychan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am on week two of doing zumba twice a week and it's great! It's fun and a great way to listen to some groovy music and burn calories while shaking your butt and moving your body around without looking like a crazy dork and being judged by others. The dance steps start to become more familiar and like many things, with practice and dedication, you get better over time. After awhile you'll want to be in front of the class haha. :-)
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am ADDICTED to Zumba! I believe it is VERY effective - I have lost 11 plus pounds since January - I am staying on my "diet" (1200 cals a day) - I am losing inches like crazy and I can't get enough Zumba :love:

Your instructor will determine the level of your class - some routines are less energetic than others - the steps are all very basic dance moves - you will learn them in time - moves are repeated throughout each routine so you will catch on with time - give it a month or two and before you know it you will know most of the songs the instructor is using and then when a new one comes along - you'll pick it up quickly.

I have an incredible instructor who is a great dancer - used to be a gymnast and cheerleader - he is fabulous and I leave drenched after a class. Some classes have 1/2 hour of "strength training" using light weights - you can buy zumba weights or you can use light hand weights - and then an hour of Zumba after that - and I also have started to do a back to back class - 2 hours of Zumba - Zumba classes go for the entire hour without stopping - take water and drink anytime you need to - JUST HAVE FUN - you won't realize you are exercising after awhile - it is a blast if you love to dance - you'll love Zumba!

You will get out of it what you put into it - there are all different ages shapes and sizes in our classes and we all are at different levels -- don't worry about what you look like - no one cares - as long as you are moving you are doing the right thing!

If you end up enjoying it and want to stick with it - I would suggest getting athletic "dance" shoes that are made to make doing the dance moves easier - treaded athletic shoes work - but you can find yourself sticking a bit on the slides and spins etc....I bought a pair from Zappos.com made by BLOCH - I love them and they made me enjoy the classes even more -

Have fun with it and go burn some calories while you shake your bootie! :laugh:

Aloha - Lynn :flowerforyou:
  • Kristi_Mitch
    Options
    Take it at your own speed. I am by no means a dance expert or even a aerobics expert, but I love Zumba. I felt overwhelmed the first time I went, but I kept going back and now I can't imagine not going. In June it will be 3 years since my first zumba class. You will notice that as your confidence builds and you become more familiar with the steps your intensity will pick up as well. There is room for everyone in zumba so jump in and join the party!
  • cinthyathreeohfive
    Options
    awesome! this latina loves dancing salsa, so i should love me some zumba
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just jump right in. It's mostly dancing so you can modify how hard you work it. It's a very effective calorie burner, a good overall cardio workout and does nice things for your core. Most of it doesn't do much for your upper body strength, but you can compensate with other exercises.

But the best part is that is SO MUCH FUN!!!